Top ten reasons why the Apple Dock sucks.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Dec 18, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

that first article is retarded. the dock is a launcher.

9. it's big and clumsy. resize it, retard.
    8. identical icons. mouse over and it shows you the name. oh, and the dock isn't a place to fucking store your files. it is a launcher.
    7. no labels. labels would make it bigger and clumsier, retard. mouse over it and don't be stupid about how you arrange your icons so that everything sits together that looks the same.
    6. stupid comment about coloring icons.
    5. trash can in the corner? that's his preference, but maybe not everyone else's.
    4. unpredictable location? the fucking dock is in the same place every time as are the icons. you get used to it. he acts like every time the dock disappears your memory of it gets wiped out or some magical gnomes come and reorganize everything.
    3. dock is a sprawler. i've seen quite full docks, so i could understand this one.
    2. dock replaced better ideas? says him, but not others. i like the dock so much i'm using it in vista. i got rocketdock and use it instead of QuickLaunch and other windows things.
    1. object annihilation? again, the dock is a launcher. that's not where you store actual files. if you are, you're doing it wrong. you put shortcuts there and who cares if you destroy a shortcut?

this is a fucking retarded article. as bad as any from david pogue, someone i consider one of the worst "technical" reporters of our time. this is a great article to continue your ignorant view of OSX.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

silverlight > using any sort of "dock" launcher

windows or osx

4. prototism

prototism Guest

GG bro.

That article is originally almost 8 years old.

:ugh2:

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my apple dock autohides on the right side of my screen. to be honest with you, i hardly ever use it. i usually just hit apple+space to bring up spotlight and type in the first couple of letter of the application, then hit enter to open it

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

but, just because there are better solutions doesn't mean it is bad. when i used OSX, i relied entirely on Quicksilver.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Its a played out concept thats been around since I first started using computers that apple will claim is new and innovative...

I have a ~200 pixel wide text entry box on my taskbar where I type in the first two or three letters of custom defined names and it autocompletes the rest and launches. Can customize it to open any file or folder or internet address using any phrase. For example to start firefox I type 'f' 'f' 'enter' and it launches, to start visual studio I type 'v' 's' 'enter', and to open my videos folder I type 'v' 'i' and then it autocompletes the phrase "videos" and then I hit enter. Keeps your desktop clean and I find is faster than visually scanning through a bunch of icons.

On another note displaying fancy icons on your desktop like they are some kind of trophy collection is retarded, but then again so is the general population

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
  8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, codex, but i usually don't. obviously you aren't referring to the OSX Dock.

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

This:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4002577

Tell me they are not presented like a trophy collection, its so retarded looking. "Look at what I trendy douchebag I am I have 8 adobe icons with a spotlight effect under them"

Queer as hell imho

10. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

im no mac expert, but the feature you seem to be describing has been around in macs forever as "finder". so it would probably make more sense to bring up your irrelevant post in a thread about finder than it does in thread about apple dock.

11. CodeX

CodeX Guest

yeah, not even close to the same thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finder_(software)

12. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Someone tell me that that does not look like a trophy display?

13. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

what the hell are you talking about? are you saying that just because of the screenshot? you can use it exactly as you described, with just a little textbox in whatever the mac equivelant of the taskbar is that searches your apps and files and runs them when you press enter. i've seen my friend use it on his apple and it was no different than the vista start menu search, which also does what you described.

for someone who acts like they are the bee's knees you sure convey an ample amount of incompetence.

edit- here, on my friends mac it just said finder (which i guess is their file system browser) but in leopard it is called spotlight, which is a fancier version of what his did, i guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_(software)

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what is silverlight? i searched for it, but just find Microsoft's new Flash competitor.

15. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

that's all i know silverlight as, and it sucks.

16. CodeX

CodeX Guest

What I described is nothing at all like the search feature, I guess I did not describe it well enough.

17. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

oh, well then whatever feature you're touting is probably trivial and inconsequential.

both that spotlight and the vista search in the start menu search indexed file locations and applications and include auto-complete while you type as well as placing commonly used applications at the top so you can type 'f', press enter and launch firefox or whatever.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Anyone find it funny that this article is from the guy responsible for the early Mac operating systems, and he is essentially arguing for a return to that interface?

Who would make that change if they could?

19. CodeX

CodeX Guest

What I am talking about allows you to edit a config file to directly link any textual command with a system command, such as opening a file or folder or internet address. It doesn't have to search, it knows the list of commands you have, it autocompletes those commands as you type, allowing you to typically type 2 to 3 letters of the command you set, then hit enter and immediately execute the command. Its like the common start->run except with autocompletion and fully configurable aliases and it resides on your task bar.

I type "ff<enter>" and firefox starts, because I told it to link the command "ff" to the firefox executable. I type "wi" and then "namp" is automatically filled in and I hit enter and winamp starts, because I told it that the command "winamp" should start the winamp executable. I type OT and hit enter and my default browser opens and loads off topic, because I set it up to do that. Get it?

20. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

ya i get it, it's a trivial feature that you're going to hype as making all the difference in the world to prove a worthless point. also since it's third-party software (i assume) it is kind of stupid to compare it to the built-in components of another operating system; who knows, maybe apple has this trivial feature built-in or some third-party mac software can do it. i don't know, as i said i'm not an apple user.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

OS X has had that for at least 5 years, but it is an add-on. Yawn.

22. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, codex, you are WAY off topic.

anyway, i found it funny that i saw some video where they were showing off the dock ripoff in windows 7. the guy made some point to say that it was a ripoff... from windows 3.1. so stupid. it is so obvious that it is a dock ripoff.

23. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I like the dock. It has the programs I run frequently, it shows what is running, and it lets me drag files and clipboard items into programs to open them.

Thats all I want from the dock, and I don't want to navigate any menus to do that stuff.

The criticisms of the document stuff are valid. I don't use the document stuff on the dock.

I also don't have a problem with the trashcan being in the corner, it should be as far away from the other stuff as possible, because the only people using it could use it by accident.

24. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yeah I know, I really only mentioned it as an alternative given that I called the dock a "trophy display case for pompous trendy fags". Didn't expect to have to explain it so much lol

25. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

and a desktop is different how? seriously, put what you want on it or hide it. You went and dug up a thread about taking screenshots of your dock to prove that everyone who uses a mac is a pompous trendy fag? :ugh: