Top 8 Laptops Under $1,000 -- (Except The Mac)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by difd421, Aug 14, 2008.

1. difd421

difd421 New Member

2008 guide to laptop

Does anyone else think that the EEE PC is overrated? Sure it may be small but the performance just isn't there, so much more could have been done.

2. ady

ady New Member

I don't think it is overrated, alot of people don't need the performance and it does what it is intended for pretty well.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I like the idea of the netbooks. For years you had to pay a premium for smaller laptops that never ran as fast as a big monster. If I'm getting a slower cpu, smaller screen and less hd space I should pay less, not more. And if I want something so portable, it wouldn't be as a full desktop replacement. It would be for quick emails, web browsing, showing powerpoint presentations and the like, nothing that needs power.

4. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Trouphaz hit it right on the head. I just picked up an Eeepc from some guy on Craigslist for $300. Its a 900mhz Celeron M with 20gb of storage, and an 8.9" screen. I upgraded the ram from 512mb to 2gb for $59 from Best buy. I reformatted it and put windows XP Sp3 on it, and it runs great. Now obviously i wont be editing the next release of Toy Story on it, but I can easily surf the net, run MS Office, check email etc. Other are actually running cad programs, and photo editing programs on them.

There is a whole community dedicated to these things, including some rather large forums that tell you how to mod the computer to add bluetooth, gps, touchscreens (I ordered the touch screen kit, and I'm going to add a bluetooth connection),and all kinds of stuff. People are taking some of the newer models and adding 160gb iPod drives to them.

It all depends on what you want to do. For $350 I feel I got my monies worth. I can take this thing anywhere.

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Not sure how the eee is overrated considered how much it costs and what you get. I'm interested in getting a small laptop. I have a powerful desktop so the eee may be the thing I need.

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

sounds like all of the stuff you would do with an eeepc you could just do with a black berry no?

7. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Yeah, but I prefer to have a full QWERTY keyboard that I can actually type on.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

working on a laptop != working on a blackberry.

yeah, a blackberry is convenient, but oh so painful to do more than just basic tasks. no way you are going to sit in class and take notes on a blackberry. shit, i'd like an eeepc and a blackberry as a modem. that'd be slick.

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

the HP Pavilion DV-6000 I got for 500 open box is better than all of those

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That'd be highballin', son. :cool:

11. deusexaethera

Why does everyone always make exceptions for Macs? They don't do anything PCs don't do.

12. t8thgr8

t8thgr8 evry day im hustlin'

can a blackberry run fl studio or reason? i cant wait to be able to lay down some beats right when they come to me rather than waiting until i get home to my comp. plus being able to read ebooks in the bathroom.

is the eepc the undisputed way to go or should i look into the lenovo s10 or new dell one?

i have a feeling mac is coming with something fierce as well.

13. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Because they're shiny?

14. deusexaethera

Oh shit, that's right.

15. deusexaethera

Ooh, the eeePC supports multi-touch now!

16. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

List is flawed...

Just recommended to a colleage a few weeks ago (and she bought it) a new Gateway with 15.4" screen, Intel C2D T5750, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Bluetooth, webcam, etc, Vista Home Premium 64-bit for only $650... a decent video card is all that it was lacking but she has no need for one anyway.

17. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

The argument is merely slightly better build quality and the OS. Since Mac moved to Intel architecture, it is more or less an OS war. Microsoft wins the war over all because of the lack of markets mac covers. Anything a mac can do a PC can do, and the PC does more because there is more game and software support.

Oh, and they are shiny. :rofl:

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

actually, you are 100% wrong on that. what can a mac do that a regular PC can't? run OSX. other than that, a mac can do EVERYTHING a PC can do... even run Vista better than most PCs.

is it worth the premium? not to me. i don't own a mac and apple will have to make some major changes before i bought one, but there is certainly a market for them outside of the narrow minds of the C&P forum.

19. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I never got this argument. How is this true? There is no way that any Mac but the highest end iMac or a Mac Pro runs Vista better than my current Wintel desktop (Q6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS 512MB GPU). The whole tower I built cost half the price cost half the price of both Apple models I mentioned.

I'm not trying to start a flamewar, just honestly curious as to where the whole "Macs run Vista better than other PCs" or if its just another b.s. fact, like how "Macs r superior 4 photohshop"

20. deusexaethera

So, basically the reason I would buy a Mac is to have a shiny computer with magnetic retractable latches and the ability to run an OS I have no use for. Okay.

It's got nothing to do with being narrow-minded, it's got to do with there being no justifiable business case to spend the extra money on a Mac. If all it can do that a PC can't do is run OSX and look damn good doing it, well that ain't worth shit if my primary goal is to buy a computer that does something useful without wasting all my money.

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you shouldn't buy a mac. i've never asked you to buy a mac.

to bowrofl, we are talking about laptops, not desktops. a home PC builder who knows what he is doing can build a PC that runs faster than a Mac. a vendor bought system won't. the various vendors all cheap out in various places so while a system can be specced the same, it just won't run as well... unless you go with something like Alienware, and at that point you are paying a huge premium anyway for a fucking horribly ugly PC.

for laptops, apple uses very good hardware. most PC makers cheap out on various components when they build a laptop to get those better prices. if you compare the MacBook Pro to a comparably specced Dell (Inspiron or XPS), the apple is thinner, lighter and significantly faster than the Inspiron (i never looked at the XPS performance numbers) running Vista. so, if you want thin, light and fast, plus the ability to run UNIX with a very nice GUI while still having the option to run any Microsoft OS, then apple is a great choice. that's it. that is what makes apple laptops a solid choice and if you can't understand that, then it is your own ignorance.

22. deusexaethera

Dammit man, this isn't about you! It's about ME!

Anyway, I get your point about Macbooks being built with top-notch components, but so are Thinkpads, and you can actually bump a Thinkpad into something without it exploding.

23. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i wasn't even referring to how solid it is. i mean the internals are quality stuff. so, even though i have a Dell Inspiron with a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo processor, 3Gb of memory, a 7200rpm drive and an 8600GT video card (that i'm sure is going to explode on me soon), the MBP is still faster. so, whatever other parts are contributing to the performance or lack thereof, apple has put faster shit in than Dell.

24. deusexaethera

I didn't say Dell, I said Lenovo. ;)

25. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:rofl: woops, don't know how i forgot that one, vital point. in that case, i agree.