MIL Top 10

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Insdav3, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Well I have made my way into the top 10 of my unit's PFT scores. :cool: It's out of around 125 Marines.

edit: i'm giving myself a cookie

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  2. Accord

Accord New Member

What's your PFT score? How many pullups?

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

20+ pullups 100+ Crunches

It's the runtime that kills me because I weight train and don't do much cardio :hs: At least I will have a nice cutting score.

4. Socrates

Socrates New Member

i want 300

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

after losing so much weight in boot + SOI --- i'm finally getting my pullups up now that I can hit the gym. I'll definitely have a 300 before I leave for Iraq.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm up to 7 pullups now and I still got like 6 months before I ship, I think i'll definitely have 15 by the time I ship and hopefully 20 at the end of boot.

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Accord, I went in doing 20 pullups. They broke my body down so bad I could only do like 13.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

:eek3:

I thought most people improved their pullup numbers in boot.

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

WRONG.

If you're smart about it and eat the right food you can gain, but most people go down. I went in doing 12 and came out doing 7.

There are plenty of opportunities to eat a proper amount of protein, so make sure you do that. If you're a diet recruit, plan on losing pullups a lot.

They DI's aren't there to pick and choose what you eat, so just be smart about it. They only make sure you get enough.

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

if you could give yourself a bj you would never do another pushup again.

11. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I am very smart about foods, protein and all that trash. I knew what to eat at boot, and I made sure I got a lot of it. I still got fucked. It's either - : do you want to lose a significant amount of muscle and fat, or do you want to fuck over your body and become skin and bone.

12. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

I went into boot doing about 7 pullups. That's all I could do until about halfway through. Then I guess I got over some kind of mental barrier and pumped out ~16 suddenly. Before I knew it I was easily over 20.

That was when we could kip, though. When they dropped that, I had to learn how to do them all over again.

13. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

for someone not into pullups, what's kip?

14. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

ah, didn't know that's what it was called

15. Accord

Accord New Member

So when i'm there, I should just eat the most high carb/high protein stuff I can get my hands on?

I remember someone on here (I think it was you) who said the DI's will make you a diet recruit for some reason that I can't remember even if you're not a fat body? I'm only 159 right now and i'm pretty toned everywhere on my body except my stomach "looks" kinda fat because i've got so much fucking loose skin from all the weight i've lost, I hope they won't make me a diet recruit because of that :noes:.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  16. Accord

Accord New Member

Sweet, i'm at 7 pullups right now myself and still have about 6 or so months until I ship. Even though i'm in pretty good shape now, I always just think to myself that i'm going to be some fatass recruit in poor shape that can't even do 1 pullup or run 1 mile and everyone else is just going to be running by me like the wind, even though I know realistically there will be recruits there who can't even meet the minimum IST requirements... it's just weird the way I think, I guess I need to realize that i'm not a fatass anymore because even though i'm lean and in good shape, the way I THINK it's like i'm still a fat body who can't do 1 pullup, etc. even though that's not the case now. It's really strange, mabye the former fat bodies will understand what i'm talking about, how they "think" like they're still fat even though they're not.

/rambling

I'm not sure if what I just typed is even decipherable :rofl:.

17. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

stupid question, but I'm lactose intolerant. How will that affect what kind of food I eat in boot? I mean, do they have a wide variety of healthy food?

I can do 12 pull ups (cold start). I hope that goes up.

18. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

I know exactly what you're talking about. when I went in I was 2 pounds over my max, therefore I was labeled a fat-body. the entire time I was in boot camp I would get weighed every week, but you had to stand backwards on the scales so you wouldn't know what your weight was. I got hounded for not losing any weight.

In reality, I lost just over 30 pounds in boot camp :naughty:

19. Accord

Accord New Member

Oh man that's cruel :rofl:

20. Socrates

Socrates New Member

They still have plenty of food.

That will probably actually help you out, since most dumbasses (like myself, and pretty much everyone else) loved cereal too much and would eat it before PT and it fucks with your run time.

Cereal is a pretty big deal in boot camp :).

21. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I don't think that was me that said that.

They won't make you a diet recruit for loose skin. --- To ensure success, get big traps like I had and flex every muscle in your body when your SDI comes around and evaluates you on being a diet/double rat recruit.

Being a diet recruit would fucking blow. The diet recruits are in the back of the line every day, and you generally don't even have enough time to finish your food anyways without scarfing it down at full speed.

Based on what you said your current physical standards are, you will feel like shit in boot camp. Realize that a majority of the recruits will be ex-football players, ex-wrestlers, and all around used to physical activity. There were like 12 guys in my platoon of 90 who could do 20+ pullups. Unless you're doing 15+, and have a 21 minute or better runtime, be prepared to feel like an asshole when it comes to PT. 100 crunches isn't even an issue, almost every Marine who graduates does 100. Our DI's taught us techniques and shit. I went in having trouble getting 60, and now I can do about 130 without stopping to rest. I'm usually done with my 100 at the 1-minute mark of the 2 minute time limit.

Keep getting in shape! Pull-ups is the key.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm at around 65 crunches in 2 minutes right now, mind sharing any of those techniques your DI's taught you? :x:

I can run a 7:30 mile, but I can't hold that pace for 3 miles. I should be able to soon though.

23. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Sure.

Your muscles need air, always, so EVERYTIME you are going upward in your crunches, exhale. Even when you don't feel tired, do it. Breathing is by far the most important thing, not only in crunches, but EVERY time you do any exercise that uses strength.

Pump them out as fast as possible. A big mistake a lot of people make is they think by waiting, such as HANGING for a while to rest during pullups, will help them. It just makes you more tired, and tires out your muscles.

Scrunch your butt all the way up to the hills of your feet, and PUSH your forearms down towards your crotch as far down as they can go. This will make less distance to go up.

Also, something I thought was illegal at first, but our SDI showed us and I have never seen anyone given shit about before, is how far down you go. Your neck should never come close to touching the ground. Your schoulder blades should be the only thing that touches, and they should just barely touch, and then come back up immediately. Same with your head, it should never touch the ground. The rules are that your elbows (not just youre forearms) have to touch your thighs, and the tips of your shoulder blades (which are a good 5-6 inches below your neck) have to touch the ground.

That is pretty much it. Our DI had like a 30 minute long class teaching us the right way, and my situps increased from 75 in 2-minutes to a little over 100. My main mistake was holding my breath.

One last thing, the one thing more important than breathing is just to never stop. You always have a few more situps in you, and in all honestly, your body could take 100 non-stop right now, it's just in your mind. You'll learn ALL about that in boot camp, and you'll get better.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks for the advice, going to try all this tomorrow :cool:.

Now that you mention it, I do think I hold my breath during each rep when doing situps, i'm going to fix that.

25. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Most people do. Even when we do PFT's in our unit, I still have to tell guys whose legs im holding to breath, otherwise they forget.