SRS Toothache: Composite Filling

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vizyn, Apr 1, 2010.

1. vizyn

vizyn New Member

So I got my first filling in a long time (since I was a kid) and this was my first composite filling. It was a very small cavity on the top-right side of my jaw. It's been about two weeks and change since I've had the filling but I still have pain when I chew anything hard on that side of my mouth. There is no pain/discomfort if I clench my teeth with nothing in my mouth, just when I chew. Temperature doesn't matter.

Is this normal for composite fillings? Should I contact the dentist now or give it some more time?

2. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

I'd call the dentists office. I'm sure he can tell you over the phone.

3. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

unfortunately, normal in my experience. my dentist said it was fairly common with this type of filling. it should probably decrease over time. i had this problem with my first composite filling. i decided i would much rather wait to see if the pain decreased rather than have it drilled out and redone! and luckily the pain did go away, but it took at least several months to totally go away. by the next time around my dentist said he was experimenting with a new method of sealing the tooth before the filling goes in and this most recent one was much better.

4. thatguyjeff

thatguyjeff New Member

My current dentist (whom I've been seeing for about 10 years now) uses only composite. I've had some new, composite fillings here and there as well as some old silver (amalgam) fillings replaced with composite.

I haven't experienced the problem you describe.

5. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

it seems to take about a month for me for the sensitivity to go away

6. johan

johan Active Member

Please call your dentist asap. While it's true that some people can have temporary sensitivity with composites, it's not that common.

Call.