tool for performing sql backup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bear Klaw, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

is there a software package i could purchase that will backup a SQL database on a remote server? The version of SQL database is SQL 2000.:wavey:

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Ahum, surely SQL 2000 has a tool for doing this?

MySQL I know has mysqldump.

3. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

we want a program to do it, and be able to do it remotly by just logging in.

4. gnp

gnp New Member

do you want backup or replication ?

5. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

backup

6. gnp

gnp New Member

enterprise manager

7. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

url:squint::x:

8. nattycrew

nattycrew .

you can schedule sql server 2000 to dump the database on a schedule and back that up..

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, its built into the fucking database server... Enterprise Manager is the name of the MMC snap-in.

10. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

Is Enterprise Manager able to perform the backup from a remote machine? In other words, can we install the software on a machine here at our company and perform the backup at a remote server in New York?

11. nattycrew

nattycrew .

enterprise manager is an application which you use to make changes to the setup of your instance of sql server 2000

12. nattycrew

nattycrew .

more info is needed

13. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

??

14. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

I think you are way confused about how sql backups work.

Use Enterprise Manager (comes with sql server 2000, installation is part of the 'client tools') and create a maintenance plan. It has a wizard which will hold your hand through the setup to make sure you know how often, and what you backup.

The backup "job" runs locally on the db server, however, you can choose to backup to a tape or physical file (which could effectively be located anywhere on your network, even a remote server).

15. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

we want to be able to back up a remote server to here per say. not back up a db here to a remote server.

16. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

17. nattycrew

nattycrew .

you can connect to a remote server using enterprise manager as long as it is on your internal network. if it's not you cant back it up remotely no matter what. you need access to the actual database server. you're asking a question without really giving enough detail or even really knowing what you need. do you just need a copy of the database data? do you need to backup that whole machine? you need the admin of that server to setup a job to dump the database to a file on a schedule and then all you would need to do is pull it and put it on the backup medium of your choice. you dont need specific software for this.

edit: i reread what you've posted and i think i understand what you're getting at better now. either way you're going to need to setup some sort of way to access the database other than the internet. perhaps create a vpn tunnel or something.

18. SLED

by remote, do you mean it's hosted somewhere? Most hosting companies (even the $10/mo ones) will let you do the backup nightly, and put it in a directory, where you can just copy the backup file down via FTP.

19. SLED

not true. I use enterprise manager to administer many remote databases.

20. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

The only difference there is where you are standing. From the other end's point of view you are doing exactly what you don't want to do. It's the same shit either way. Dump the DB to a text file, zip it and ftp it off. Directly backing it up to the remote location might take too long depending on the size of the database. We do this here with a few of our databases now.

21. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

thanks geek crew