Took the MSF test today...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ///M, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ///M

///M New Member

Passed the written 50/50

Got 66 on the uturn/swerve/135º corner, so I failed that, as did 5 other people :ugh:

I mainly fucked up on the figure 8, brought the front tire out of the box a couple inches, and the instructor said that I was looking at the ground (I wasn't).

Oh well. I'm getting my permit tomorrow, so I'll buy a bike/gear soon, get some practice in and retest within the 90 days :hs: I did learn a lot though. :cool:

2. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I took the class 2 years ago, and it was pouring. Luckily I only got 3 points, lowest in the class, but almost failed the state test. The figure 8 was the hardest for me, had to put my foot down once or twice.

In the uturn/swerve thing, is it the one where you had to do the slow-look-lean-roll and had to keep between the lines during the turn at a certain speed? I think the key is to keep your head up and roll on the throttle. Also look where you are going.

3. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

yea alot of people have trouble with the figure 8 tests. my instructor told us that she was more worried about people doing good on the life saving techniques

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

ours was rated that if you scored 20 or lower you passed.
    my girlfriend scored 2 points (she over shot her braking point by 2 feet) and i scored 3 points (i put a tire on the line during the figure 8 and then overshot my braking point by 1 foot).

she was #1 in the class, I was #2.

5. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

Well skills on a parking lot don't transfer to the road. Even though I did well on my test, I went down once on a slow speed turn and dropped my bike twice inside two years of riding.

6. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

I also did fairly well on it but my bike has made contact with the ground um... 5 times so far :rofl: only 2 were both my fault and on pavement though, and only one of those did any damage (the other one was on the 2nd day I had the bike, at a couple mph)

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

\

well, apparently they didn't with YOU ;)

8. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I still need to take that course. When I got my scooter, it was big enough that I needed the endorsement, but instead of taking the class, I just went down to the DMV and took the riding test (scored perfect on that), so I'm riding legally, but I do still want to take the class. Especially since I sold my 200cc scooter (2005 Piaggio BV200)for an 1100cc muscle cruiser (1985 Honda Magna V65).

9. jdw

jdw New Member

how big of box are you doing these figure 8s in?

10. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

20 foot?

11. ///M

///M New Member

:werd: 20 foot wide, dunno how long

12. ///M

///M New Member

I always got the first part of it right, but when i came around to finish off the other side of the 8 i didn't have enough speed and gave it throttle at the wrong time which sent me a few inches out of the box :o

13. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

I lost my only three points the same way. I was doing the bottom turn of the figure eight and didn't give enough power to pull me out of the turn so my front tire crossed the line. :squint:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  14. Frequency

Frequency New Member

For the basic course its 20ft IIRC and the advanced course is 16ft

First time I took the basic I did the 20 ft box
    2nd time i took it(i was there to support my g/f) i did it in the 16ft box and impressed the hell out of the class(mind you i've been riding for 4 years at this point)
    G/f finally got her own bike so we are taking it once more this s ummer to give her a refresher since she hasn't been doing much riding at all since she got her license

15. jdw

jdw New Member

I was out on a test course earlier this week just to see what it was like and a Figure 8 is the one thing I'm worried about. The box I was trying to do it in - I'm not sure my bike can physically even pull it off.

Think I'm going to give the DOT test a shot next week though (Assuming I can get in)

16. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

My instructor did the whole test with his Touring Harley with ease! Kinda made me feel bad that I messed up on my Blast.

17. philcasi

philcasi OT Supporter

i missed 1 on the written part of the msf and got 7 points taken off on the riding. i got deducted points on the quick stop and the long sweeping turn, i didn't do it fast enough and on the actual dmv test i missed only 1 question.

18. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I aced the driven part of the MSF course. The figure 8 I thought was pretty easy. The bike is going to go where ever your looking, if you look a little outside the line thats where you will end up, the bike is not going to fall over, give it a little gas and turn sharp. I missed 3 on the written part of the test.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008