Took my RX-8 to the shop.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Dec 5, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It was fine at first, but around 500 miles in, it started to engage 3rd gear really rough, like there was a clink that made the shifter stop dead before continuing to slide the lockring into place. It kept getting worse, especially in the cold, so I drove it over and had them test-drive it after letting it cool off overnight.

Of course, nobody could replicate it but me, so I had the technician hold the base of the shifter while I shifted, and he did feel what I was talking about. His solution? Grip the shifter more tightly, shift at higher RPMs, and give it 5000 miles to fully break in. :rofl: He also suggested getting synthetic gear oil put in the transmission at the first oil change.

Sure enough, it worked. It was my technique that was changing, not the behavior of the 3rd gear synchronizer. Revving higher and holding the shifter tightly (like I did before I got to know the car better) did the trick. Not too happy that there's cheap gear oil in it, though. :squint: Gonna have to do something about that.

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

So the problem was you were trying to drive it like a piston engine?

lol

Good to know Mazda openly admits to cheaping out on the gear oil. I changed mine over to synthetic when I changed my clutch out (B3000 w/ manual which means Mitsubishi transmission bleh).

3. deusexaethera

Well, there's several factors. When I first got the car, I wasn't as good at shifting, so I didn't shift as soon or as often, so the RPMs stayed higher; once I got better at it, I tried to keep the RPMs around 2000 while cruising, which is apparently unnecessarily low, because my gas mileage actually dropped when I did that. (I've said before that an engine is most efficient when it's making the least amount of noise, and this supports that theory -- the engine is louder at 2000rpm than at 3000rpm when cruising.) Also, I've never driven a brand-new RWD stickshift before, so I was unprepared for just how many tiny little clicks and pops and vibrations a new transmission makes, and how clearly they would come through the shift lever when there's no linkage involved. (On the RX-8, when the transmission comes out, the shift lever comes out with it, unlike FWDs and some other RWDs.) And lastly, the technician said it's not uncommon for the lockring to try to engage before the gear is 100% synchronized, but because it's a new transmission, the lockring splines aren't completely rounded-off and polished yet, so they're going to grab harder for a while.

As far as the synthetic oil goes, it's kind of strange, because outside of North America, Mazda recommends full-synthetic in the RX-8, but in North America they recommend dino oil. My theory on this is it's because of all the synthetic blends we have here, and how often people will opt to use them instead of full-synthetic; synthetic blends are actually more of a ripoff than dino oil because they have to be changed just as often as dino oil but they cost more. In addition, it's also dangerous to use them in an engine that burns oil because the sulfur content in the dino oil will team up with the burn-resistance of the synthetic oil to leave behind a thin film of vulcanized rubber (or something like rubber, anyway) on the insides of the combustion chambers. That's especially bad in a rotary because of its sensitivity to buildup and its inability to fully scour itself clean like a piston engine can. Full-synthetic doesn't have any sulfur in it, so even though it also resists burning, it at least burns cleanly even if it takes longer to burn it off.

I'll use my AMSoil preferred-customer account to get some full-synthetic gear oil at wholesale prices when I get near 5000 miles, and in the meantime I'll just pretend that the cheap gear oil is helping to accelerate the break-in process.

4. GammaRadiation

What?

Transmission fluid is rarely changed (60,000 miles or more). Transmission fluid is not burnt.

5. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

this is a strange thread

6. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

i have 2-3 shift problems in my car too, been using motorcraft oil for a while now in my tranny. Last weekend at track i had consistent upshift problems going from redline in 2nd to third. Tho to be honest my car has over 70k on the odo and i havent exactly babied it

7. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

if by strange you mean retarded then YES youre right

8. deusexaethera

Nah, I switched to talking about engine oil without warning. I have no idea why they didn't put synthetic in the gearbox, since it's not exposed to combustion.

The best way I can explain this thread is to say I'm so hyper-sensitive to anything that could be a problem, after driving my Passat for the past few years, that it was nice to find out there wasn't anything wrong with my brand-new car. :hs:

9. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

on the topic of oil, check out idemitsu, synthetic oil designed for rotary engines, personally i've been using just regular castrol gtx 10w-40. i have a friend thats been using royal purple 5w-40 since the cars been broken in, best feeling rx-8 i've driven to date. and always remember to premix

10. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

My RX7 I have to keep above 2,000rpms. I have also noticed my gas mileage is roughly the same if I shift at 2,750rpms vs 4,000rpms.

Once my engine is warmed up, I just drive to 4k and never have issues with shifting and I get ~24mpg if I don't redline it.

11. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

damn, im lucky if i get 18mpg, i usually get around 17 shifting at 4k daily, last track day i used almost a full tank of gas and only went 128 miles, thats roughly 10mpg :rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

so in other words, stop driving like a lil bitch

13. kamen

kamen OT Supporter

A rotary engine requires different handling for sure. Try driving it at higher rpms that sounds like it should fix your problem right there. I'd never shift at 2000rpm in an RX-8. I test drove one awhile ago and it was only fun at higher rpms.

14. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Listen to the engine, you'll hear when its winding out and when its struggling. Keep it in a good range where it still has pull but isn't sitting to high. Its a feeling you have to get for the car.

15. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

16. deusexaethera

That's what I do, yeah. That's what I mean by "a quiet engine is an efficient engine." Likewise, an engine that's chugging or screaming is wasting energy and wearing itself out. I love the triple-intake-ports on the Renesis; just as it feels like it's starting to wind out around 6500rpm, suddenly it catches its breath again and continues hauling ass.

Yes, CRXican, the moral of the story is to stop driving like a lil bitch. But if you've never driven a rotary before, you wouldn't really understand why I was so caught-off-guard by it. My 1.8t feels like a diesel now -- I can barely hear it, it seems, and when I look at the tach and see 2000rpm while cruising, I get a good chuckle out of it. Almost makes me want to get a real diesel so I can really have opposite ends of the spectrum.

17. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

:ugh:

18. GammaRadiation

I dont know where you got this idea, but it isnt true.

A rotary is about as far away from a diesel engine in powerband characteristics as two internal combustion engines can get.

19. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

I'm a fan of all the Redline products and their new(ish) shockproof oils. I use their straight 50 weight as my sump oil.

20. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

deusexaethera really is a strange person