MIL Too old to join?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Foty, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Foty

Foty Active Member

Now I know that I can still enlist since I'm only 24. I guess I just feel too old and far less accomplished to join the military. I don't have a degree yet, but planning on starting back up next spring. I keep thinking that If I wanted to join I should have done it right after high school.

Is there still enough time for me to get into the military lifestyle and make it a career?

I hope I'm being specific enough for you guys.

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

i joined when I was 26 (but as an officer)

3. Foty

Foty Active Member

That's my point. You went in as an officer. I would go in as what an NCO?

4. J

J Active Member

enlisted

5. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

Age really makes no difference in the military unless the idea of taking orders from someone younger than you is unspeakable (happens all the time with officers to enlisted anyways).

I'm a 22 year old Sgt with peers in their late 20's and early 30s and junior Marines under my charge that are in the late 20s. If anything you're a bit set up to excel a little quicker just because of your maturity vs. a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Don't fly before you got wings. Seriously just drop the idea of joining the militairy and become a bussines man. Its not good being the old fart that's on the same level as all the youngsters. By that time you have to be accomplished otherwhise you'll just be the laughing stock for the rest of the crew.

7. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

wat. :ugh:

This is not true at all.

8. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

You're to old to join when you pass the age limit to enlist. Now get your ass to your local recruiting office and explore the possibilities.

9. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

I joined at almost 24, i am 3rd in line for Sgt after about 1.5 years of service.

10. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

stick to posting in the whiner subforum :ugh:

11. lurker#99

lurker#99 New Member

there is never too old, I'm 24 now, ship to basic in less than 2 weeks, and i will be 25 when i come out,
    age is just a number,

12. alex116

alex116 New Member

I know people who joined in their 30s. 24 is not by any means too old.

13. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

I entered DEP at 23, joined at 24 and have been in over 5yrs. You still have time to join. I barely had any college when I came in either. My tech school was 9 months long. That covered all my technical and program elect, went to leadership school for management, and Ive CLEPed the rest of my Gen Ed. I am starting my B.S. this Sept. If you really want to join, go talk to a recruiter.

14. Foty

Foty Active Member

I haven't really explored the possibility of joining until recently. My brother was a marine, but was medically discharged, and was never deployed anywhere.

I really have no idea what branch of military would benefit me. I guess taking the asvab would be a good start huh?

15. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Just noticed you from from Houston :fawk:

Have you ever asked yourself why you want to join?

16. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Plenty of time. I was in basic training for a 34 year old guy. He fit in just fine.

17. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

There are people that are joining much older than yourself.

Normally they have a better grasp on things as well than the typical young kids.

18. Anima

Anima OT Supporter

I wouldn't worry about your age. Hell man, I'm 25 and I'm STRONGLY considering joining the military since my options here are limited at this point. My brother-in-law went thru basic with a guy who was 35.

19. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I was 46 years old when I joined the Army Reserves. I went through 5 weeks of basic (since I was prior service I didn't have to go the entire basic training route). I just returned from a year-long deployment and I can honestly say that my age helped me FAR more than it hindered me.

You are obviously interested in joining. List some of your interests and we'll help you decide on an MOS that you might enjoy. What goals do you have for yourself? What kinds of things would you like to do or learn? What would you want to get out of a military career? Are you interested in part-time (Guard or Reserves) or do you want to go active duty from the start? How about issues? Do you have any medical or legal issues that might hold you up? A lot of problems can be waived, provided you go through the steps needed to correct or address the issue.

You've come to the right place. No matter what your goals or what route you want to take, there will probably be several people here that have either been there and done that - or are doing it now.

20. Foty

Foty Active Member

I really have a broad range of interest. I like being out doors and working with the latest form of technology. I welcome the opportunity to work under pressure. Not sure what else to be specific, since I'm not educated in military duties and operations.

I've always thought that the military would help me better as a person physically and mentally. I think I would benefit in the since of added character. I've actually believed that the military would add a good since of character to everyone, but I realize that everyone is different and you can't always change a persons bad ways or inhibitions.

I'm not sure if I would go the active route or reserve. I do know that I plan I going back to school next year and have a plan to finish up within the next 3 years.

And lastly, I consider myself very healthy, and eat right and exercise regularly. I have no history of medical problems either.

Hope this helps.

21. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

a guy in my boot camp company that was 28 joined the army for 6 years and went into marine boot camp just so he can start over.

22. Foty

Foty Active Member

Would it be a good idea to fill out the forms on the internet so I can have a recruiter contact me?

23. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

What degree were you going for?

Look into MOS 35K (UAV Operator). Or 25T (Satellite/Microwave).

I would go down to a recruiters office in person. Tell them up front that you aren't going to sign anything right away, and that all you want is information and advice. Bring it all back here and we'll help you sift through it.

24. 99blkgt

99blkgt New Member

I think a recruiter will gets less credit for an online referal...I would just go in and speak with one.

25. burn__

burn__ New Member

just use it to find the closest recruiter to you and just give them a call.