Too much oil in my bike - advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Apr 9, 2009.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

So I put too much oil in my Ninja 250, I knew it was low and was about to go on a long highway ride in a hurry and figured one quart would be good since they tend to slowly burn oil at >9k rpms.

Stupid move, yes.

It wasn't very overfilled, and after making that initial ride three times (traveling to my hometown for some stuff) the oil is at an acceptable level in the window, but was high for a little bit.

Does anyone have any experience with any problems this could have caused? The bike is running fine aside from the fact that it sounds a little rougher than it did before, some higher clicking notes added to it's usual tone, which is why I'm worried something may be messed up. There may be a slight loss of power but it really hasn't had any noticeable effects on performance, just the sound.

Anyways, do I need to drain and replace the filter and start over or is it fine now that it dropped to a good level from all the high rpm riding? I know sometimes excess oil leaks into the spark plugs and gunks them up, could that be causing the rougher engine sound? Or could that potentially be a fucked up seal from the added oil pressure? I don't know how to diagnose the seal problem which seems more serious, hence why I'm asking the board.

[CLIFFS] Added slightly too much oil to a ninja 250, burned it off with some high rpm freeway riding, engine sounds a little rougher than usual but no other problems. What do you think it could be? Spark plugs? Messed up seal?

2. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

entirely possible that you could harm gaskets and seals by having too much oil.

i however can't help much with diagnosing if you did or not though.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

what he said