GUN Too much freedom for CA to handle. *pics/vid*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Oct 26, 2009.

1. I headed up to my parents' cabin with Laurel for the weekend. I really don't feel like typing much, and I'm sure you don't feel like reading it, so here are some pics and a video.

Sorry for the shitty quality video, it was taken with Laurel's digital camera. I like hearing the blast echo down the valley.

[y]88MSILQLs38[/y]

You can see some of the lube weeping out of the brake/barrel joint here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are for 2 weekends from now. I'll have the chance to stretch this rifle's legs out.

[​IMG]

Compared to a .308

[​IMG]

The hits around the head/neck are 10 rounds rapid fire at 100 yards with my 10/22. These little targets rock!

[​IMG]

Shot some clays. Laurel is addicted now.

[​IMG]

Phrozen/pixel, this is why you guys should move here. We have mountains and rivers and shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

looks like some fun

3. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

nice!
    whereabouts is this?

4. Up near Mt.Baker

5. BLH

BLH Member

What distance do you have to play with that .50 at?

6. Up there? Usually not much more than 100 yards. :wtc: It's hard to find an area where you have more than that unobstructed by trees.

Now that I'm authorized to shoot at Cascade Rifle's 600 yard line I can use it there, and that range is only 45 minutes away.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Right bolt, left port action? How's that work out from the prone?

And are those moly 750'Max's I see :cool:

fuuuuuuuuuuu, I want to be all up in that wilderness. That clearing in the upper left portion of the photo looks interesting. Would definitely rate an alpine pursuit for me.

8. BLH

BLH Member

I can get greater than a mile if you care to make it down to Kansas and take you to shoot with a man who has more trigger time (in professional settings, not amateur stuff) than anyone else I know. Including poking holes in things past 1 mile.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yeah.... what's this bullshit about not having range?

Climb your pansy ass up that hill, and drop off a big steel plate in one of those clearings. That should be plenty enough distance to stretch out a 50, and shooting a mountain would be one helluva good time.

10. The right/left thing on the rifle is just something I'm used to doing with it, so it doesn't bother me. I'd ask someone new to the rifle what they think of it. It's not really that bad when prone, but you do obviously have to use both hands, so it's not something you can really quickly fire. It's a single load action too, so you have to use both hands every time.

They are moly 750 A-Max you see. :bigthumb:

The clearing in that picture is really like mutant plants you see in movies. It looks nice from far away, but it's usually thick vegetation. That mountain is fun to climb/ drive around on though. You should come look at it in person.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

lol

Once it started snowing, I could probably occupy myself for an entire weekend attempting to cause avalanches with that 50 and those peaks pictured.

12. In 2 weeks I'll have the chance to shoot >1 mile. :noes:

13. The rifle doesn't travel far from the Jeep. It weighs ~40lbs. :hs:

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So apprx how far are those 'tops as the crow flies from the place you were standing in the panoramic pic? You said you can drive up there?

Hunters/Skiiers/rockclimbers/greenpeace hippies around much?

15. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I have to admit, I was a little concerned that I wouldn't like trap much, and that I'd be terrible at it. I was totally right about being terrible at it, but I LOVE it. I seriously think it's the most fun shooting sport ever. And I can deal with the stress of having to make my shot THEN, which is something I usually suck at.
    [​IMG]

We also found this crazy fungus on one of the old growth trees they have sitting in that gravel pit. It was mind-blowing. It looked like some sort of rock formation in a cave!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a photo with the pooch
    [​IMG]

16. As the crow flies, the place with the clearing is 2.6 miles. The highest peak is 3 miles.

There aren't many hippies/skiiers/rock climbers/hunters on that mountain.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

MSPaint Phrozen's map to good times:

[​IMG]

Clay's games are a good time, especially with friends of varying skill levels. You should try sporting clays, that shit is insane.

18. BLH

BLH Member

You need to get familiar enough with it let your subconscious run your shot plan.

19. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. Laurel

Laurel New Member

MG, a friend, and myself ran through 90 clays and were shooting 5 shot strings. The first several that I did were AWFUL, but by my last string I hit 3/5, so I finally was getting more comfortable with it. I'm encouraging MG to pick up a nice O/U shotgun for himself so I can have our $20 20 gauge that I've decided to start calling Hildebrandt.

21. Here's a Google Earth view of what's in that pic. We're located in the red circle.

[​IMG]

22. Laurel

Laurel New Member

The pit that we were shooting in is to the right and slightly above the red circle. It's the big clearing over the words and shit in the middle.

23. I just took my AR out of its case, and the light was on. That damn thing gets pretty hot!

24. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Does anyone know where to buy 20 gauge shells in bulk? Walmart's prices are OK, but if they were cheaper, I'd be a happy panda.

25. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

nice pics!