GUN too much crimp? lolz

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by hsmith, Dec 14, 2008.

1. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

so, setting up my .45 toolhead, am i "over crimping" the bullets? the one on the left is turned down a bit from the right (which was way over crimped) - is it pressing in on the bullet way too much? or should it be fine? the indentation is only slight enough to see on the left.

[​IMG]

soup dawg, i see you like your cases beveled (case was tossed :mamoru: )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. AB13

AB13 New Member

bullets look fine to me, but it'll be better if you get a measure of the diameter with the bullet done. Also, that's a tad bit more bell than you need on your brass. I like to get it so I have just enough bell so you can barely prop the bullet in there before it seats, It'll seat straighter.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

:rofl: no that was just the "first through" on the bell/powder charger on the dillon, it was tossed :o

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

you can push it back through the sizer, don't need to toss it. Once I get my dies set, I don't like messing with them, eventually you wil figure out what runs in your gun, that's where the fun begins. I am thinking about buying a complete shell plate for every different gun I reload for so i can leave them set up. Even with a Redding seater, it's still a pain to find the correct OAL every time.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i am going to buy a separate powder funnel and toolhead for each caliber i load, fuck this shit of setting it up it is such a pain in my ass

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If your using a lee factory crimp die ( and if your not, end yourself). Back it all the way out. then press the round into the die. Tighten the knob till it is hand tight on the case. Back the round out and add another 1/2 turn. This is your starting point and should be plenty for a medium crimp. for light crimp start with a 1/4 turn instead of 1/2. I get a case guage or better yet the barrel itself. I then case guage the round into this and find the happy spot. I find that medium crimp works well for me.

some things to look for. If you see the butt end of the bullet just start to be visable in the case your moving into the medium crimp range. Heavy crimp the back of the bullet is very appartent in the case (not good for accuracy.) If you over super crimp it will actually be looser than a light crimp (again not good). You should not be able to spin the bullet by hand when loaded. Lastly for those that are anal pull the bullet and inspect it. It should have a slight ring for medium crimp and almost where in imagine a ring for light crimp.