Too much cholesterol?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by φ, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

My total diet consists of 387mg, or 128%, of the daily reccomended value for cholesterol (this is with one egg yolk, without the yolk it would be about 170mg, or 58%). I was wondering if this is too much cholesterol for someone with a family history of high cholesterol and slightly elevated levels myself. I don't take any medication for it and don't want to start. (I take fish oil daily and eat oatmeal which are both good for cholesterol levels.)

Will I be okay with this amount, or should I drop the one egg yolk, losing 70% of my cholesterol intake but also losing all those nutrients (this would only take three grams of protein off my daily amount)?

Does anyone else have a family history of high cholesterol, and, if so, what do you do, if anything, to compensate for it in your diet?

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

My diet is around 250% of the RDA for Cholesterol and my blood lipids are fine. ANd everyone in my family has high cholesterol but I have low cholesterol

3. methusala

methusala New Member

It's all give and take, man. Just keep up on your blood work and make changes accordingly.

4. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

Where are you getting most of that, though, from egg yolks? I've been reading some stuff since I posted this thread:
    http://unisci.com/stories/20014/1029013.htm

So maybe egg yolks don't contribute very much to high cholesterol levels in your blood.:dunno:

The article says "... people with normal cholesterol levels and no family history of cardiovascular disease should not worry about eating one to two eggs a day." This is how much I eat, but since I have a family history of high cholesterol (I'm not positive on the cardiovascular disease), should I be eating less than one to two eggs per day?

5. LancerV

2egg yolks, and beef

6. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

Honestly you're setting yourself up for trouble dont you think?

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

exactly. Eat how your training dictates, get tested regularly, if it raises your levels then alter the diet.

8. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

ive eaten 4 whole eggs everyday for the past 3-4 years

and when i got my chol. checked it was in the good range

just some anecdotal information

9. LancerV

I dunno the rest of my family eats fried food, and trans fat laden food so I highly doubt its "genetic"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.