Too Much Cardio?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by klintdog, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

Hey Folks,
    This is my first post here in F&N, I've been lurking for a while and thought it was time. I'm currently in the process of trying to get myself into shape and try to lose some weight. I'm currently 6'5 and am weighing in at 308 lbs. My initial goal is to get down to 275.

I've started goign to the gym and trying to get active. Since I graduated from school I've pretty much just spent the last 2 years sitting on my butt at work and have put on about 20 some pounds.

So far I've been doing the following:
    Walk/Jog 1-2 miles around the indoor track at our club (5 days a week)
    30 minutes on the recumbant bike at level 10 (heart rate at 140-155) The bike is saying I'm burning around 300 when I do this. (5 days a week)
    Basketball around 1-2 times a week as well.

I've also changed my eating habits around. I've cut all snack food and soda out of my diet and have started eating breakfast (Quaker instant oatmeal or Special K).

I know I should incorporate some weights into this mix, but I want to get my knees back in shape before I jump in too deep.

Do you guys have any advice on what I can do to help this out? I've been doing it for about 2 weeks and haven't dropped a pound.

Any help would definitly be appreciated.

(cliffs - I'm fat and just started working out 2 weeks ago. Been doing lots of cardio, no weights, haven't dropped a pound, need advice)

2. Piracy

Piracy New Member

what's your diet like? i know you said you cut out sodas and such, but how many calories do you take in? My change of diet has been almost solely responsible for my weight loss. (45 lbs since october, but i'm on 1500 cal diet b/c i was so fat)

And it's never too early to start lifting. Start as soon as you can. I personally don't see anything wrong with that much cardio if you're comfortable doing that much, usually people will get burned out with it that much that quickly though.

3. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

lift weights

4. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I actually enjoy doing the cardio. I blew my knee out playing football back in high school and it hasn't been quite normal since then. I can actually feel my knee getting stronger since I started working the recumbant.

As far as calorie intake, I've been averaging between 1800-2300 calories per day.

5. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to give it a shot.

Do you think it would help any if I started varying my cardio routine a bit and used the elliptical, standard bike, and recumbant and rotated them?

6. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I just finished entering in all the food I ate today and all the activity I did at the gym tonight. Here's what it came up with:

Eaten:
    Total: 1741

Spent:
    Total: 4438
    Basal: 2796 63%
    Lifestyle: 1219 27%
    Activities: 422 10%

Thoughts?

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Do HIIT and lift weight if it's possible, they will both up your metabolism during 24 to 48h and you'll spend more calories doing nothing. Make sure you get enough protein in your diet and add some weight lifting if you don't want to lose a lot of lean bodymass along with the fat you're going to lose.

By eating around 1800-2300, at your weight, you should be losing weight. If you add the cals you're spending from the cardio then there's definetly something wrong if you're not losing some pounds. Do cheat days come often ?

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Eat more.

9. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I think I've only had one 'cheat day' to this point. I figure 1 cheat day in 2 weeks isn't too shabby. I'm going to try weighing myself again tomorrow and see if maybe I was on crack or something today.

10. Yooshaw

Yooshaw I like teh Brew

:werd:

I still can't believe how much weight lifting trimmed me down. I used to only do cardio, and I seemed to get no where. I started weight lifting and the fat melted off.

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

you shouldn't just keep cutting calories, i too am cutting right now but if your a 300 pounder that is 6'5" and you eat 1800 calories you're probbly eating too little and your metabolisim is fighting you. with added cardio and your body size my non expert opinion would be that you need more in the area of 2500-3000 calories a day not 1800, am i alone with that opinion? crash dieting just doesn't work long term for most people.

12. V!

V! New Member

I would suggest jogging 1-2 miles a day and taking the walking part out
    Incorporate HITT into your bike routine
    Lift weights (your knee doesn't affect your upper body)

13. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

Good point FSU. I'm going to jump on the treadmill this afternoon and try some HIIT and see what happens. Sunday is my off day, so Monday I'll hook up with one of my buddies and start some weight training.

One last stupid question, would it make sense to look at something like Lipo-6?

Thanks for the advice folks!

14. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

Any thoughts on whether I should try the Lipo-6

15. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

no. lift weights.

16. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I'm starting on weights tomorrow. Time to start preparing for the pain, but it'll be worth it.

17. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I started lifting again yesterday. I joined a buddy of mine from work and started with his routine. We did arms/shoulders/biceps yesterday and legs/back today. I forgot how much pain it would be the next day, but how good it feels at the same time. Hopefully I'll start to see something happen sometime in the next month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.