MIL Too late to do SMP for ROTC?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DC9, Apr 23, 2009.

1. DC9

DC9 New Member

I want to do SMP for Army ROTC, but I'm thinking it might be too late. I will be a junior next year. I cannot go to basic this summer because my summer is already filled. I could go next summer, but I have to go to LDAC for ROTC and possibly Airborne school. Assuming I did go to basic next summer, I wouldn't be going to AIT until the I graduate college. Anyone know if it's OK to do that, or is it too late?

2. shiba

shiba Active Member

Why don't you just get a scholarship and be done with it? There's no point for SMP unless you're planning on going guard or reserve.

If my memory serves me correctly, you must be contracted by the beginning of your Junior year in order to continue with ROTC so going to basic next summer will not be possible for you.

3. DC9

DC9 New Member

I talked to my PMS and it is possibly, but I don't be doing it. I assumed before I could go Guard during college and go active duty once i commission, but you not always can. So I'll just stick with the scholarship and go active when I graduate.

4. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

thats if you get selected to go active. depending on what the AD cut line is its normally the top 50% get AD. and there is no point in doing smp, you dont have to go to basic to be part of a unit. at least in florida around here you can go to a unit and ask to join just telling them youre in rotc

5. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

yup, at least in Florida we had 3rd and 4th year cadets with SMP contracts that had no prior service or basic training whatsoever.