SRS Too Close for Comfort

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by daaarn, Oct 16, 2007.

1. daaarn

daaarn New Member

have you ever gotten to know a friend so well that you end up not really liking what you find? i'm not talking about minor quirks or foibles, but like bigger personality differences.

for instance, i have a friend i hung out with who was really social and you could always count on him if you were looking to go out. but after awhile it turned out, all he really wanted to do was party or buy stuff and was pretty irresponsible about everything else.

similarly, i had another friend who i originally thought was really great. she was smart, fun, and popular with a good personality among other things. but once i really got to know her i found out, although still smart, she was kinda boring, had a timid personality, and really didn't get along with the majority of her friends.

i dont want to sound shallow, since i did originally become friends with them for legitimate reasons (common interests, got along with each other, etc.), it's just that certain things about them that i learned later on really just didn't click with me. i'm still friends with them and we hang out on occasion, it's just that when i'm around them too long for their other personality traits to come out, it kinda turns me off. just wondering if anyone else had any experiences with that sorta thing?

2. Xtodemerio

Xtodemerio New Member

Everyone you meet will generally have something about them that you don't agree with. You have to decide if the good parts outweigh the bad.

3. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I had that happen last year. I actually sorta dumped a friend of mine. She was really fun at first, but then I realized that she thrived off of drama and loved to try to put me in the middle of things. She started dating one of my close guy friends and treated him like crap. Finally, after she lent out some of MY stuff that I had let her borrow and then refused to replace it when the person gave the stuff back with holes and smelling of cigarettes, I told her I just couldn't be friends with her anymore because I couldn't take the constant drama. She cussed me out and I said, "I'm sorry you feel that way" and haven't spoken to her since.

Friendships are a lot like relationships in that you see something in someone that you initially like that sparks a connection, but sometimes you realize that it's just not a good fit once you get to know the person. You don't have to be friends with everyone, so just keep looking for better people that you click with.

4. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

Yeah, it has happened to me before. I had a couple of great friends in high school that were like brother and sister to me. But, after really getting to know them and hanging out with them for two years, they just got into partying and drinking and pulling all this drama that I just left them. It wasn't my scene. You just gotta keep moving forward. Other friends will come along. You just have to find people you click with.