Tonsils? I dont know but Im in agony, help!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PitScar, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitScar

PitScar Yeah, that's my realtor's name

So on thursdayt I came down sick with a scratchy throat, achy neck, and hurting head, as well as stiffness all over. I get quite a few sinus infections so I was assuming it to be another one and I quickly went home from work. Things got progressively worse from 3-9pm and I was in a full raging fever by the end of the night. My brother got up every now and then to make sure I was still awake... it was pretty bad.

I was awake again, unable to sleep at 6am the next morning, and the fever had pretty much died down, and what was left was gone by that day(friday)'s evening. I had laid on the couch all day from 6-11pm when I went to bed.

Again not getting much sleep, i was up in the morning (saturday)and feeling much better, though still very stiff and achy. The awakening was rude and I coughed up an unbelievable ammount of phlegm mixed with blood. After that one incident and about 30 min of fighting back throwing up (because it was so gross) I was ok. I laid around most of today as well. Now I just woke up again having not been able to fall asleep until 1 this morning (sunday). It felt like my teeth were hurting, as my wisdom teeth are coming in at all four corners. Nothing better to do I hobbled to the bathroom and flipped the light, angled a mirror so I could shed some light to the back of my mouth, and was shocked.

it looks like the back of my throat is covered in blisters/canker sores. Just white areas, about as big around as corn. One main one on the right side of and a smaller one on the left side of the hangy ball thing. Just further down in the gag zone is a narrow slit canker sore on the right side as well.

Im worried. I didnt think you could get such an ammount of canker sores (or whatever this is!) unless you had a lot of acid in your mouth. Ill admit I drank a lot of gingerale over the past few days because it just hurt to swallow, and ive been eating PB&J sandwiches. Today I could hardly eat at all, which wasnt so bad because i lost my appetite. I also put down some ice cream on friday and a chocolate milkshake today, kinda cold creamy gooey things that made it feel better.

Does anyone have any idea? Obviously Im going to head to the doc as soon as one's open, though its sunday, but Im going to be awake until then since I cant sleep.

Thanks
    -Sean

2. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

dude, I'd probably hit the ER if I had shit like that.

3. etech

etech New Member

4. PitScar

I hit the ER right after I read the first reply... I mean, im not sleeping anyway because of the pain right? Only 2.5 hours from leaving my house, i arrived home. I guess with the fever and the sinus infection, i also managed to contract a rather rare form of the herpes virus inside my throat and mouth (I already get cold sores). Its called oral somethingorother, i missed it, but there's no cure or treatment. I gotta lay off all solids for two days, drink a ton of liquids, and pop aspirin like candy. Doc gave me two tylenol3's and 3aspirin to get me started... its going to be fun:)

Glad I went. Thanks for the advice.

5. Revelation

Revelation .

Originally sounded like a bad strept/Mono infection.

I used to get constant strept infections, about one every month and a half. At 18 I had my tonsils removed.

Chance of bleeding on the first day or the tenth day. Tenth day one of the scabs/scars/whatever opened up over an artery. Rushed to the hospital and almost died :|

But, after that extraveganza, I haven't had strept since :)

6. ralyks

ralyks New Member

:eek3:

7. grampositivecocci

well umm jeez man glad I helped....next time dont think about posting a message before going to seek proper medical advice.

8. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

herpes stomatitis? and there are antivirals they could be putting you on to shorten the duration, as well as special mouthwashes to lessen discomfort.

9. PitScar

I figure there has to be something, I agree. Im going to see my family doctor on monday. For now the tyl3's are doing an amazing job... I slept for the first time since thursday night, and I feel great. Able to swallow again :thumbup:

There are anbesol based mouthwashes out there, aren't there? I don't know if thats a great idea, considering I can feel the pain running all the way down into my collarbone by moving my tongue or coughing, almost as if somethings catching down there... Id be temped to swallow the wash :)

10. PitScar

Oh and yes, I would think its herpes stomatitis. I misheard and it sounded like oral menengitis to my sleep deprived ears :big grin: figured Id leave that out of my update for credibility's sake.

11. SteveO

SteveO Guest

please do NOT go on a sunday! I got my ass raped, out $800 WITH medical insurance for fuckin food poisoning

12. PitScar

Good thing I live in Canada :)

13. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

That sounds horrible, definitely hit up the doctor tomorrow. It's a good thing you went to the ER though.

Wonder how you managed to get that inside your throat, I've never heard of that. (insert deepthroat jokes here).

14. etech

etech New Member

http://www.vh.org/pediatric/patient/pediatrics/cqqa/herpes.html

What is herpes stomatitis?

* Herpes stomatitis is a mouth infection caused by the herpes virus (the same virus that causes cold sores).
    * It is not a sexually transmitted disease.

What are the symptoms of stomatitis?

* There are usually many small, sore, open blisters inside the mouth and on the gums and tongue.
    * The lips, mouth, gums, and tongue often swell.
    * It may be hard for your child to eat because of mouth pain.
    * Blisters can make it difficult to swallow and cause drooling.
    * Your child may have a high fever, sore throat, and feel tired.

Is stomatitis contagious?

* Yes. It is contagious.
    * It can be spread by close contact with cold sores. For example, children should not kiss a parent who has a cold sore.

How is stomatitis treated?

* Stomatitis usually goes away without treatment.
    * The doctor may give you medication to put on the sores.
    * Your child also may need medication to treat pain and fever. Use acetaminophen (such as Tylenol, Tempra, or Panadol).
    * Do not use aspirin.
    * Wash your hands and your child's hands before eating because of the open sores.
    * Give your child plenty of cool liquids to help ease mouth pain. Clear liquids, milk, and shakes are soothing. Ice chips and Pedialyte also can be used. Use a straw if your child has blisters on his lips or tongue.
    * Don't give citrus juices (such as orange juice and lemonade) and carbonated drinks (soda). These will probably make the mouth hurt more.
    * Soft foods will be easiest for your child to eat. Yogurt, pudding, mashed potatoes, applesauce, and baby food are some. Avoid spicy, hard, and salty foods.
    * Rinse your child's mouth with warm water after he eats.
    * The doctor may recommend rinsing or gargling with salt water.
    * In some cases, children may need medicine to fight the virus. Acyclovir is commonly used.

15. grampositivecocci

:eek3::eek3:

glad to be an aussie

16. PitScar

^^^ yup, glad to be under the queen...

Got back from the doc, was prescribed an antibiotic and a numbing gargle mouth wash so i can sleep. The Tylenol 3s made me go insane, so it was either hallucinate all day and sleep all night, or be fine all day but not sleep, or get some green numbing mouthwash:)

17. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I'm reopening the thread because he has a legitimate health concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.