WEB Tons of internal links isn't bad for SEO/google, is it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

The site I'm working on now ha a ton of articles, and I'm posting links in the middle of one article to another article when it's relevant, in addition to having a "popular articles" table on the side with links to more articles, and an "articles" page with links to all articles.

Google won't interpret this as trying to cheat and get more links, will they? I would assume it wouldn't because they're all internal and from the same domain, but I just want to make sure.

2. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I can't see being penalized for it, but tons of links can do you more harm than good.

Each page has a certain amount of "link juice" to be distributed to its linked pages. So theoretically, if a page has say 100 points to spread and 100 links, that's 1 point to each link. If there were only 10 links on that same page, each link would get 10 points. I did work for a client once that wanted all but their most important links to have nofollow tags, thus spreading more "link juice" to their important pages.

That's my understanding of it

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

So for each internal link I should have a nofollow tag?

It's basically stuff like:

"This is a followup article to [part 1]" and that's a link.

Or I'll be like "... so people can spend more money on [frivolous bullshit]" and "frivolous bullshit" will be a link to an article on my site about how people suck with money.

Most articles are linked to 2 or 3 times, once in the articles page, sometimes on the "popular articles" sidebar, and sometimes within another article itself.

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

by no means....let me see if I can explain my point a little more clearly.

You're an e-commerce site and you have a link to your policies page at the bottom of every page and a link to view your cart at the top of every page. Both irrelevant to your sites keywords and you don't care/want them to be ranked well.

So lets say you have a product page with just 3 links on it. One to another product page, one to view your cart, and one to your store policies page.

-------------------------
    [link to another product]
    [link to view your shopping cart rel="nofollow"]
    [link to policies page rel="nofollow"]
    -------------------------

The cart link and policies link probably are both 'nofollow'ed. Because of the nofollow tags, the link that's more important and more relevanr benefits much more from the link, while the two nofollowlinks don't benefit at all.

From the way you describe it, it sounds like you're fine. Keep in mind though, if your page is on Frivolous BUllshit, the more related the links are to "Frivolous Bullshit" the better, and the more links you have on one page the less each link will benefit from it.