tons of incomplete files in newsgroups

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MP, Nov 12, 2003.

1. MP

MP New Member

No I do not specifically mean mp3's or movies. Just wondering why the majority of files being posted are incomplete. Used to be not that bad but it's pretty bad now.

isp: rcn
    prog: newsbin pro

any reasons?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Usenet is not the best medium for exchanging files. It works very much like the old BBS forums (Fidonet, for example) in that it is setup as a system of relays. You post to your ISP's server, which relays it to other servers, who intern relay it to even more servers, on and on. It is not a perfect system. Posts get lost or end up out of order all the time. Add to that the fact that a lot of ISPs limit each group's size in kb on their servers, and there are people who like to send kills for fun. So for multipart files, you're lucky if you get any complete sets at all.

3. MP

MP New Member

hmmm, i think i get the structure of usenet. Just wierd because i'm on it now and there's not as many incompletes. Lots of complete sets and stuff. Does some of it have to do with who is posting the file or is it all up to the isp's server?

thanks btw.

4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Yeah I really don't know... Seems like some users posts are always complete, and others are very spotty. Thank God for Par files :)

5. MP

MP New Member

i'm not sure what a par file is. Heard the term used before though.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Depends alot on where they upload them and where you download them and what's in between.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Through a process I like to refer to as "magic" you can substitute one PAR file for a missing RAR file if you have the right program (I can't think of the name of the program off the top of my head)