Tonneau Covers

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Qckrun, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Qckrun

Qckrun New Member

I just bought an 06 Tacoma Prerunner and am not looking for a Tonneau Cover. Anyone have any good sites that sell good ones? Anyone have any particular brand they prefer?

Thanks in advance.

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Hard or soft?? and how much u looking to spend (or are u NOT looking for a cover?)

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

just something I would suggest is find a webpage users for your truck and find some sponsors or something of that webpage and get it from there, it ask around on there.
    THere are literally 50 mil truck pages out there where you can find tonneau covers.
    There are soft ones, hard ones, retractable etc. Decide what you want first

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

5. Qckrun

Qckrun New Member

Hard... and hopefully nothing more than 800$? I mean if I can find something alot cheaper than more power to me.. but if not I'll settle with about 800$.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why'd you buy a truck just to throw a hard cover on it?

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Have you ever had a truck with a Hard cover or do you just want a hard cover for extra security?

I had a hard cover on my old truck and it was nice to be able to lock up the bed so it was fully secure (It had two locks on it and the edge went over the top of the tailgate. Only way to open it was to get those two locks open.)

But whenever I wanted to haul something taller than the Hard Cover I had to completely remove the cover. First, it weighted probably 100#'s and required two people to pull it off. I also had to have a place to store it, which living in an apartment didn't give me a place to do that.

I now have a Soft Cover and it's great. The only way to get into it would be to cut it off, which I doubt many people would want to do unless they knew you had something in there of value.

But if I want to haul something tall, then I just roll the cover on up.

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

My old truck had a hard cover. If you're never(rarely) going to haul anything higher than the top edge of the bed, then it's great.

You can fill the bed full of tools (or chemicals and other equipment in my case) and be able to lock the bed so it's secure. You also can carry more stuff and access it easier than out of a trunk of a car.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a friend, I call him SUV, I would like to introduce you to him ;)

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Because I really want to carry around gallons of chemicals in the back of an SUV so if one tips over, which has happened, I'd get to enjoy the odor. Or if you're like some other people I know that commonly haul plant/garden stuff. Truck works better for that dirty stuff. Or the fact that you can remove soft covers in 30 seconds and, if you have the space to put it, a hard cover in a few minutes and haul large things you can't put in the back of an SUV.

Plus I think you have a better field of view out the back and sides of a truck than an SUV :o

So, Truck > SUV ;)

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I own both a truck AND an SUV... So I kinda know the pros and cons of both...... Visibility is negligble. Equally good out of both. As for hauling, the SUV is more practical for 99% of hauling.

12. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

And I've had two trucks, a Ridgeline, and an SUV in the family. Plus I've driven a lot of other SUVs (Expeditions, Navigator, Explorers). I'll go ahead at take my truck.

For light hauling, yeah, I'll give it to a SUV. If you're hauling anything dirty at all, the truck takes it. If you're hauling anything big, then the truck takes it. Plus I hated having to use the side doors and main rear door to load/unload when you've got a lot of stuff.

13. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

You don't have to worry about staining carpet in the back of a truck.

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I got a bedrug too :noes:

They say it's acid proof and you can pressure wash it.

15. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

It's not just the carpet though. If you have something wet or dirty that will spread just by being moved around. I used to have an SUV and I got tired that and watching out for the trim or headliner and moving the back seat around when I had something a little big.

I have an A.R.E. hard tonneau which I like. It has a handle with one central lock that extends bars under the bed rails so it's strong without having to unlock it twice every time you open it.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a bedrug in my tundra... they're as tough as a spray-in bedliner, imo. I've spilled lots in it, and just a pressure-wash and it's gone.

17. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Retractable hard Tonneau cover is gonna be one of my next mods