Tomorrow's customer scares me....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, Jun 29, 2006.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

So tomorrow I have a customer comming who is starting to make me nervous. He is one of my mom's co-workers, and just bought an '06 Chevy Malibu Maxx LTZ that he wants protected. Yesterday, my mom comes home with a stack of papers he wanted her to give me. I look, and find that he copied the "Appearance Care" section out of his owners' manual, thinking that "his car has special paint" that he wants to be sure I use the "approved stuff GM recommends" on it. In other words, GM's own chemicals/supplies, and its own recommended procedure.

I almost asked her to go back and tell him to "fuck off" but I decided I'll take the job anyway, and just not tell him what I'm using on the car. I just can't believe he would insult me like he did, when he KNOWS I'm a professional. Right now, I'm just worried that he's going to complain about the job no matter what I do... and that he'll still try to tell me what I should use on his car.

Anybody have thoughts on how I should handle this customer? I just don't want to end up looking at him and saying "If you know so much, go do it yourself, moron." :noes:

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Lol when I get time later I will tell you about the stack of paperwork this guy brought me yesterday.

3. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

tell him the stuff you're using(whatever it is) is approved BY GM....

type up some certification bullshit that looks legit! if he's that huge an idiot to believe the gm owners manual chances are he'll believe most anything..

4. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Don't do any of that, call him and tell him what you will use on his car, tell him you've done tons of cars before and never had a trouble and if there is any doubt he can pick his car up and go elsewhere.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

He knows I've done tons of cars before. I've done cars for most of the other people in that office, including his boss' Corvette. :hsugh:

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I really cant give you any recemendationon how to handle him.
    Other then being honest about the products, and showing proof of what they can do, and their durability level, and the results that literally thousands of other people ahve used.

If he starts to get beligerant about it. THen politely tell him to take his car to another detailer. That if he is unsure of your abilities, then why did he bother asking?

And, if he does have you do the detail, tell him to leave the check "pay to teh order of" line blank. And then make the check out to "Cash"...that way he cant stop payment on the check, and you get paid.

If people start to get really pushy about what they want used on their car, and then expect me to foot the bill to buy rediculas polishes and sealents that dont work for shit, and then expect me not to jack up the price acordingly for their needs, then i jsut tell them im not going to be avliable to do their car, and that they should perhaps try another detailer to do it for them. And if they come back to you after the fact, then say sure, but i would like to use the products that i know work, and go from there.

Just play your cards right, be curtious, and say what you mean, without coming off as a dick.

7. PrinzII

PrinzII New Member

I guess this moron doesn't realize that GM does not make detailing products. :eek4:

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

:eek4: Prinz?? Holy shit, dude... haven't seen you around in a LONG ass time.

Yeah, I kinda doubt he does realize that. Most of GM's "detailing products" are re-labeled 3M and Meguiar's products :mamoru:

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Agreed. I'm not using products I am not familiar with on a paying customer's car.

Special paint? What a moron. :rolleyes:

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

"But it says I have a clear coating over my paint and not to use any abrasives or harsh waxes because it will damage the coating permanently.... and it says you shouldn't use a machine on it, just by hand!!"

:ugh2: (and yes, that's something he ACTUALLY said to me on the phone earlier this week)

At this rate, I could take a rag and some OCW, spritz it on and call it a day! :o I was at least able to convince him that almost every car built after the mid 1980s was clearcoat paint, and that his is no different than any other car on the road, though. So I suppose progress is progress.

11. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Arent Malibus like 22k? :o

12. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

just wash it with soap, and clean the interior, he probably wolnt notice the difference

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: this particular one was stickered at 26k :hsugh:

That's ok, I just washed it, did optimum polish on the hood and roof (had worse marring than the rest of the car) and OCW x2. He was thrilled with the outcome.

And then I forgot to take pics :o

14. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

oh well, as long as he was happy :bigthumb:

15. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

:werd: they tried giving me that spiel at Saturn when I bought my old SC2. It's special paint because it's used on plastic, so you have to use special products to take care of it. Which can/only be bought in the service/parts department. Blah blah blah.

16. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

That sounds like the same schpeel that one of my clients was given with their L300 Wagon. Said it had special paint, and that they needed to get a special "clear coat sealer" on the paint, blah blah blah, you know, the typical dealer paint "protection plan".

Long story short, they got screwed. The car came back with all sorts of rotory halos and holograms. When they called the dealer to complain, they said "oh well, you shouldenthave bought a black car, thats just the nature of the paint". They tried a couple of other "detailers" and didnt get good results. But saw me working on their neighbors (and my buddies) car, and decided to give me a try. Now im doing both of their vehicles, and they have passed me on some more business.

And, to top it all off, they are planning on buying another new car before the end of the year, and will be ignoring any and all advice given by the dealership, and coming directly to me for all of their car care needs.

Fortunately, every now and then, we do save one.

17. BlazinBlazer Guy

That's great, Buck-O... happily, some folks do see the light after awhile.

And frankly my response to that whole "You shouldn't have bought a black car" thing would have to have been, "You're the fucker that sold it to me, why'd you sell it to me if you knew that was the nature of the paint?"

18. Scottwax

Most dealers are complete assholes. Hell, they slap their idiotic metal emblem on your vehicle and expect you to advertise for them for free. That type of mentality doesn't lead to good business practices in other areas either.

I have all my regulars trained. No dealer prep, no emblems! :)

19. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

:werd:

On both counts.

These people where really quite pissed with their Saturn. Lots of rattles, lots of fit and finish problems, lots of soft rubber to hard plastic overlaps, like the door sill, where if you drag your foot on it, you can actually stuff the rubber under the hard plastic sill. The wood trim in the interior doesnt match. The leather color isnt even, the stitching color doesnt match in a couple of areas. And the car was supposed to have "chrome clad metal wheels". WHich was a friendly way of saying "Steel wheels with plastic chromed hubcaps". It doesnt look BAD, but it doesnt look GOOD either, and itsnt what was advertised.

They went through the whole run around with GM on the car, and really didnt get any of it fixed. Although they have more felt in their interior nor then most fabric stores stock on their shelves. EVERY moving piece of interior from door handles, seat belt latches, turn signal stalks, vent louvers, dask nooks, even teh cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, have been felted to reduce rattles, and the car still sounds like a fucking Yugo, or Daihatsu.

Needless to say, the next car they plan on buying will be from Japan. And that really pisses them off, becuase they are die hard GM fanatics. But when you dont get what you expect, its hard to go back for a seconed time around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  20. BlazinBlazer Guy

Well, they're GM fanatics, but apparently GM fanatics who don't want to pay a little more to step up to a nicer GM division. I mean, it's a cheap-ass Saturn for chrissakes; what else can you expect?

On Friday I did three complete details on brand new vehicles (none had been dealer prepped or billboardized), bought thanks to the 0% financing deal. A Saturn ION, a Chevy Malibu, and a Pontiac G6.... all three were standard four-door sedans. All of them were pretty much stripped down base models -- and the MSRP for each was fairly comparable.

Despite this, the difference in build quality was astounding when jumping from the saturn to the chevy, and from the chevy to the pontiac. Having been in all of them, I can say I wouldn't even consider buying anything other than the G6 just based on build quality alone.

I won't even factor in the Buick Lucerne and Rendezvous I did today....

21. BlazinBlazer Guy

I was chatting with one of my customers Friday about that... he instructed the dealer not to prep his car (which they didn't) but forgot to tell them not to put on the sticker. When he went in for delivery, he asked the salesman "Where do I send the invoice for advertising fees?"

Five minutes later the sticker was long gone :mamoru:

22. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I believe at the time they bought this Saturn, it was the only Wagon, especially a compact to mid sized wagon that GM offered. I think the only other GM wagon option would have been the Caprice. WHich is far from agile, or mid sized friendly.

This Saturn is actually a rebadged Opel/Vauxhall, with an assortment of parts bin bullshit in it.

But i wont deny you the fact that GM'slower model interiors are complete bullshit. Hell. people ven poke fun at the fact that the newly rebadged Daewoos are of higher interior quality then the current crop of lower end GM products. I think that says plenty about their interiors.

What do you think of the new Buicks though?

23. BlazinBlazer Guy

Well the Rendezvous wasn't too different than they've been all along; and I've never been too impressed with the layout (poor ergonomics IMO). The Lucerne, though, I have to say I'm very impressed with. They definitely stepped up to the plate when it came to smaller panel gaps, tighter tolerances on seams, and overall higher material quality inside. You can definitely tell these are built based on the Cadillac DTS, the influences are prevalent (not to mention some of the shared parts). :bigthumb:

24. Scottwax

I'd love it if a dealer bought a TV at Best Buy and BB put a huge metal emblem that say "BEST BUY" right on the screen. Maybe that would get the point across. :mamoru:

25. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :werd: