SRS Tomorrow will be 6 years that Dad has been dead

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TheOutlawTorn, Jun 23, 2006.

1. TheOutlawTorn

TheOutlawTorn New Consequence Machine

It never gets any fucking easier. I didn't realize why I'd been in a funk until I noticed the date. This year going to try something different. Instead of going up there seperate from my brother, we're going to go together. I guess we're so used to having our own private time with him like we used to when he was alive that it makes it hard. This year though, it's time to come together....:sadwavey:

2. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

My dad died in when i graduated HS in 97. I still think about him alot. It DOES get easier. You'll always miss him and never stop thinking about him the same amount, but you'll catch yourself remembering things more with a smile, rather then sadness.

At least thats how things have been with me.

3. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

:hug:

My dad's been gone 11 years now. He died during finals week when I was in college, 1 semester away from finishing my AA. My mom remarried a few years ago and we've all moved on, but not forgotten. He died on May 8, so every year around that time I get moody...even if I am not specifically thinking about or remembering things. This was the first year though where the anniversary date came and went and I didn't realize it til 3-4 days later. We weren't always close, but it was still hard to watch my mom go through the grieving process :hs:

4. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

For many people the grieving process will continue for the rest of their lives.

That is ok, only when it takes over your life is it an issue.

Honour your father however you wish, and for as many years as you wish.

Blessings,
    MapleLeaf

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

yeah, my grandma passed away over 7 years now... it's hard in the beginning, but now I'm glad I had the chance to grow up with her.

but I still get kinda sad because I know my grandma would be proud of the man I became, but never got the chance to see me like this :hs:

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I've lost my real dad, my stepdad and my brother and every year I get goofy around those dates.....even if I don't consciously remember the dates are coming up. My bro's been gone 20 years this Aug 5, dad was 18 May 17 and step dad was 2 years ago June 14. There are some years where it hasn't happened but the majority of the time, I get goofy. Damn by the time I'm an old man, I'll just stay goofy all year round! :)

I usually just do something good for myself around these times...hang with my mom and/or other family, stay close to friends, eat lots of cholocate...whatever makes me happy. I figure we have to deal with the emotions of them not being here so anything goes around those days.

7. bigballofyarn

bigballofyarn OT Supporter

I've never lost a parent, but I have lost close friends, so I can empathize to some extent. I do understand what it feels like to lose someone, and I am very sorry that you have to experience this type of pain. Just believe that your dad is in a happier place, and understand that in time, the pain will start to heal.

I hope you can try to feel better. Best wishes to you.

8. NovedYarg

NovedYarg Drinks Their Kool-Aid

My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose a parent. :(

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well what if you died, would you love to see your loved ones grieving and unable to move on with their lives, with years of unhappyness in the foresight unable to cope with your death? Of course not , you would want them to live happy lives, and celebrate life as much as possible ,smiling every day. So instead of dying for those who deceased , start living for them.

That person will remain in your heart, and loved forever.:love:

10. Coottie

Although I agree, that is often easier said then done.

11. Darketernal

I never said it would be easy. :hsugh:

12. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

Is it sad that I put my mothers death out of my mind almost completely? I missed the anniversary this year, and I haven't even been to her grave in a long time. Its just easier for me to not think about it at all. I felt kinda bad when I realized I missed the anniversary, and then couldn't even remember the date. Shes only been gone for a few years

13. Coottie

I hardly ever go to the graves of my loved ones. I think that's because I know they aren't there. Yes, their body is but I believe their spirit, what made them a person to me, is no longer there.

My mom is different tho. She feels a very strong need to go to all the graves and put flowers out and try to make them look good. Everyone's different.

14. Darketernal

I don't really mind, i personally think that her spirit is always with you, and you are doing a good job by continueing your life instead of dwelling over the deceased.

15. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

about the only time I got emotional was at a wedding reception once and the groom had a dance with his mom, and I got a little watery..I was also pretty drunk though...:hs: I've been to weddings since then and have been fine

16. TheOutlawTorn

TheOutlawTorn New Consequence Machine

I still have my dad's icq # on my list. I can't get rid of it. :hs: