Tommy's happy training log of DOOM

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Maestro Nobones, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Gonna try to do one of these. Never good at LJ type stuff but who knows.

Feel free to read.

About me: I'm 29 yrs old, 6'3", 190 lbs.

I started martial arts at age 14 with kung fu. Started doing modern martial arts in 2005.

I train and teach full time in our dojo's style called Mushin Dao. It's a mixed style mostly drawing from karate, kung fu, BJJ, and boxing; although we also take technique and training methodology from wrestling, kali/silat, Tony Blauer's PDR/SPEAR system, muay thai, and anything else thats good. I'm a brown belt in this system.

I crosstrain weekly with Phil Cardella in Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I'm a blue belt under Relson.

For conditioning I do my dojo's program called Satori Method. I also assist in the development of this program.
    I also crosstrain in Systema with Gene Smithson.

Lastly I teach a children's martial arts & life education program called Life Ki-Do.

The only other thing to know about me is I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in Oct. 2004. At various points I've lost coordination in my right arm and leg, gone deaf in my left ear, gone half blind, had an aggrivated gag reflex, spreading numbness, and tremors.

I am currently symptom free and have not had an attack in 3 years.

blog.offtopic.com/maestronobones

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. Maestro Nobones

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Touch Pro: XV6850 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

tonight's conditioning was great. as usual had a case of the mondays but got psyched for the workout by 8:00.

have started jogging for about 15 minutes before the workout to break that first sweat and get warmed up. It really feels like I can kick my workout into high gear faster this way.
    did 5x4 rounds on the bag with 1 minute sprints inbetween rounds. rd.1 did boxing, rd.2 did kicking, rd.3 did Close Quarters (knees and elbows) with some sprawls.
    rd. 4 & 5 did plyos and various satori movements. high energy rhythmic stuff. squat kicks, jumping jacks, shadow boxing, etc.

for weights did deadlifts w/ 45 dbs, and wide bench with 35 dbs, then did lots of various squats and shoulder exercises, mixing up slow and explosive squat movements. did all that w 8 dbs.
    did curls and skullcrushers with 35 dbs then burned bis and tris out on bands.

did gnp on the bags between rounds.

mixed up the core routine. worked a lot on isolating the muscle groups I'm working on and doing more slow controlled movements as opposed to my usual explosive movements.

cooled down with some nice yoga and meditated a bit.

felt stoked after the workout. could have grappled a few rounds if anyone was there who would. :rofl:

3. Maestro Nobones

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Touch Pro: XV6850 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

trained at phil's tonight. steve hordinski taught class tonite. he's an excellent black belt and helped me a lot with my climbing guard last time we trained together.

started with a half guard sweep series. the series sets up from half, you hide your up arm and block the crossface with the bottom arm. use Z- guard to push them away to get them to pressure into you, then straighten the top leg to let them slide in and at the same time flare the top elbow up and reach underhook to their belt. then use the bottom leg to feed the trapped foot to you top leg and strip the foot out and toward your butt to lock the hip. crunch your head in close to their hip then tuck your bottom elbow under your body then post up on that elbow. continue pulling their leg to the outside as you come up to your knees. continue pulling the leg out as you drive into them and bowl them over.

next step when i get back from the store.

4. Maestro Nobones

step two of the sweep, if they get an overhook on the arm that's holding their belt, then reach your far hand across and grip their cuff, then hip out to get momentum going then hip back under them all the way to the other side and elevator sweep towards their trapped arm.

step 3, if when you get up to your knees and start to drive they push back against you driving in the opposite direction, then you can take the hand that's holding the belt and go up to their far shoulder, then fall back and roll them in the direction they want to go, lifting their knee with your free hand.

Next we looked at a sweep off of butterfly guard, you try to elevator from butterfly but they sit back and down to defend, so you can turn belly down and feed the elevator hook between their legs and base the other foot out strong on the map and start to push into them, let them get an overhook and start to wizzer, then switch directions and do a front roll in the direction they want to go, using the hook between their legs to take them over.

Next we did a kimura defense where you're on top in half guard and the guy goes for a kimura, you step the leg on the same side that's being attacked forward and base your foot on the ground, hooking your arm under your knee to defend and drop your weight down on them, posting your other arm on the ground on the other side of their body to stabilize. next pull your defending arm towards your belly and drop the defending leg's knee to the ground and strip it along their belly, then switch your hips, join your hands and pull up while driving forward into them for a shoulder lock.

Next we looked at a choke series off the basic guard setup of 4-finger in collar grip, and they have blocked your other arm at the bicep to prevent the choke.

First trick was that you can pinch their hand between your bicep and pec, then reach the other hand over the top of their gripping hand and pull up and over to use a wristlock to break the grip and make room for your hand to swim between their arm and body. Next you can grip their arm, ride your knee on that side up their body while you shrug their arm down to isolate it between your knee and elbow. Then you overhook the arm and reach deep to their far lapel, then use two fingers to make some space on the other side of the collar and go 4-fingers in and fist choke.

Alternately you can keep your original 4-in grip in place, wristlock and swim in while you shrimp out and deep overhook, grabbing the far lapel and sliding your knee up behind the shoulder to finish the basic choke.

Lot of information from one class! glad I can digest it enough to take notes.

Had an awesome milestone, my first time tapping out another blue belt, tapped a 2 stripe blue with a faded belt and very strong grips twice in a row, first with triangle from guard & second with armbar from mount. Up until this point all the blue belts have walked all over me, but apparently getting your blue belt gives you magical confidence powers that let you win sometimes :rofl:

After that I rolled with my favorite 250+lb purple belt who always crushes me with pure calm, calculated technique. I love rolling with this guy cuz he COULD overpower me and outsize me easily but he doesn't. Good dude.

excellent night in the academy.

5. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

Congrats on tapping another blue. That's a big day.

Your health story is inspirational.

6. Maestro Nobones

thanks man. i don't think I am anything special, honestly I feel like if I can do it, anyone can. :dunno: I do like knowing that I can help people get inspired to improve their lives.

7. Maestro Nobones

taught mushin dao tonight.

standup portion worked on slide up and stepping front kicks and snapping vs pushing. worked on form then worked on accuracy on the focus mitts.
    close quarters we worked on switching between different clinches and using push-pull (kuzushi) to make stuff happen.
    on the ground we worked hard on shrimping and then had them work on the shrimp escape from side mount.
    during advanced training I showed a few of my intermediate students some nuances on the pillow choke / arm triangle from mount.

boxed with one of my intermediate students for a bit.

8. Maestro Nobones

also monday, tuesday, and wednesdays workouts all included a large number of squats, and wed.'s grappling matches were long and 90% guard work. my legs are DESTROYED and I have to run combat class tomorrow. gonna be interesting.

9. Maestro Nobones

taught combat class tonite. was a few minutes late but gene warmed the guys up with some systema stuff then i ran them through a brazilian warmup with a couple modifications. had them do a few kettlebell style movements with dbs in there too.

warmed up by milling around and doing fist placement, then pushes, then hits. moved on fighting with your back against the wall, used the heavy bags on the wall as a simulated cage/wall, did it round robin style where 1 guy has another held against the wall and striking and when the guy gets his back off the wall the next guy jumps in his place and works the guy who got reversed. good drill, lots of fun.

then we did a few 2 minute rounds of grappling with strikes.

next we worked on using the guard against strikes.

made sure to rotate partners a lot on all drills.

finished up with some introductory systema knife concepts and basic drills.

10. Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish New Member

Keep it up :bowdown:

11. Maestro Nobones

tweaked my back on friday and slept on it wrong last nite, was hurting me all day. didn't lift weights tonight.

did 4 rounds of cardio then during the lifting portion did box jumps, sprawls, kick & sprawl, shooting, etc to work on cardio.

12. Maestro Nobones

trained / assisted mushin dao tonight.

i ran the warmup.

sensei started off with wind-up follow-through drill, then started with close quarter toolbox striking on focus mitts. next we did a slow-mo low-resistance close quarter drill with partners.

next we did low line kicking on focus mitts, then the same partner drill with kicks.

finished off with pivoting on a turtled parner's back and driving somone in turtle position over to side mount.

intermediate portion we did moving between all ranges looking for strikes anywhere you can find them.

13. Maestro Nobones

trained bjj tonite.

usual brazilian warmup, then drilling guard passes 1 minute rounds and rotating partners each time. then did back mount escape and one handed guard retention the same way.

worked on a judo throw where they get and underhook and try to throw, you counter with head pressure, then once they push into you, you step across and turn, grabbing the arm with the other hand also and sitting down and turning.

next did standing guillotine defense, first gripping their hand and elbow and turning your face away from the elbow, first escape step through and turn to the outside, second option is jump guard and sweep, third is hang the far arm over their shoulder, turn into them and hook a leg to throw.

last we worked on a side headlock defense where you reach in and hook their far leg and sit back to roll them over your legs. you can also hook their far arm from behind the back to defend punches.

grappled with two purple belts. they pwned me very helpfully.

14. Maestro Nobones

warmed up with systema tension/relaxation drills, then fist placement looking for tension.

worked on the sticky palm/palm heel combo on the mitts, then did the 3 stage flinch cover drill.

finished up looking at pulling butterfly guard, using butterfly to recover full guard and the butterfly elevator sweep.

15. Maestro Nobones

trained systema friday.

lots of take down off of recieving strikes, then using a knife against an attack.

16. Maestro Nobones

trained mushin dao last night. started out the night working on moving through traditional stances then worked on establishing your root.
    next we rotated partners a bunch doing block touch & sticky hands.
    then worked on opening the turtle position and taking the back with a roll.
    finished up with tension and relaxation against a shove.

17. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

You're an inspiration to me in martial arts. I love that you've been feeling so great since you started training. Keep it up brother.

18. Maestro Nobones

did our second installment of first-week of the month traditional work, moving in forward stance and having a partner help with your form, then did a few sessions of holding horse stance.

worked on building up to the hubbud trapping drill then let them feel if the could find any trap movements in block/touch.

finished off working on shrimping and bridging, the escaping position for position with a partner.grappled with jonathan. he was very relaxed and i gave him some tips on sticking with that and using it to drive his game forward.

19. Maestro Nobones

taught mushin dao combat class tonight.
    did questions and answers first. guys wanted to work the triangle so we did.
    warmed up brazilian style then did sprints picking up 3 sets progressively heavier db's.

did standup with 1 person pure offense and other pure defense, switching partners a lot.

next we grappled with strikes rotating a lot.

next we did some sparring but i had to cut mine short cuz new guy chad got his bell rung.

finished up working seio-nage basics.

20. Maestro Nobones

trained / assisted satori sport last night. felt like crap and didn't get to run before class so I felt gassed the whole cardio portion. Had to help a new person and also teach the squats portion so i didn't get to work out as hard as I like. then I rolled over my knee from kneeling in a weird way and it popped loud. cartlidge is sore today.

taught mushin dao tonight. did offense/defense on the mitts, then practiced spear technique and let them hit me in the high gear a little bit, then went to the ground and practiced americana to armbar setup.

21. Maestro Nobones

taught MD last thursday. had the guys box rounds with rotating partners, then did more spear work, then on the ground worked on the armbar from top position.

trained satori tonight. got to jog before class, did the usual routine with rounds on the bags, then did some extra box jumps while everyone set up weights. did explosive bench and db snatches with 30's, squats with bands and bi/tri work with bands and alternating weights. Killed it on the core portion. did sprawls and shoots while everyone else filtered out. want a training partner for this class who will grapple with me afterwards.

22. Maestro Nobones

trained / assisted mushin dao tonight.

got the first bloody nose i've had in YEARS during the clenching portion of class. had the back clench and was trying to press my cheek against danny's back, and the way he turned combined with my nose getting rolled over the folds in his shirt gave me a fucking nosebleed! wtf! that's a new one.

worked a lot on redirecting front kicks, then redirecting front kicks into a takedown, then into a back clench, then worked on taking the back with one hook from a failed takedown, then we worked on transitioning from not being able to roll them to take the back to side mount, then to brazil grip, then worked brazil grip to americana, then the americana defense.

23. Maestro Nobones

taught MD tonight.

Had the guys work on their front kicks in a few different variations, and hit the kicking shields. Worked on holding the B position with variations, then the double from the back and the sit down trip takedowns, then try to apply them with resistance. Then we looked at a counter for someone taking your back from the turtle position.

24. Maestro Nobones

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Touch Pro: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en))

still training.

been doing crossfit.

bjj today was good.

25. Maestro Nobones

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Touch Pro: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en))

hit a personal milestone in crossfit this week, first workout that i've made it all the way thru with the recommended weight. fight gone bad score 118 in 2 rds. then I did 65 pullups. never done that many in one workout unassisted before.

seeing good results between the new crossfit workouts and the new diet.