Tomcat + Eclipse WTF!!! please someone help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Mar 2, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok what in the fuck...

im trying to learn to make Servlets on Tomcat 6.0 using Eclipse 3.2.2 in Windows, but omfg this thing wouldnt work. I haven't even begun typing, and I already got an error in Eclipse:

OK FIRST OF ALL there is NO folder called \common!!
    The path to \lib is: \Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\lib
    So WTF? I thought "fine, i'll just make a \common folder and copy \lib and paste it into \common." Great, EXCEPT there is no jasper-runtime.jar in \lib!!!!

i used the Windows installer to install Tomcat 6.0, so i thought maybe the installer is fucked up. Then I downloaded the .zip version, nope, same exact thing. no \common, no jasper-runtime.jar

what is going on??? why cant these things just work?? please help!!

btw, once again im using:
    Windows XP
    Java SDK 1.6 (or 6.0 watever u wanna call it)
    Eclipse 3.2.2
    Tomcat 6.0

i guess i could just use Tomcat 5.5... but i still hate this stupid error..

edit:I am now using Tomcat 5.5
    The directory structure of Tomcat 5.5 and 6.0 are different. there is no /common folder in 6.0
    dont ask me why

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like you need to install Jasper too. Knowing Apache, they didn't include the prerequisite packages with the main product that you installed. "That's the user's job."

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Not sure about your error. Could it be that you need to have regular apache installed before installing tomcat?

I've been using Netbeans for my class on servlets and JSP. It's a free IDE with a built in tomcat server and was hella easy to install and use.
    http://www.netbeans.org/

4. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I'm not sure why that error is popping up, but I'm running Tomact 5.5 + Eclipse 3.2.2 and everything runs fine. I used Eclipse's Software Update Feature to download the Web Development Tools. Then I created the server profile in Eclipse and pointed it to Tomcat. I wish I knew this before I started doing my class projects :(

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

I am now using Tomcat 5.5
    The directory structure of Tomcat 5.5 and 6.0 are different. there is no /common folder in 6.0
    dont ask me why

6. deusexaethera

I swear the Apache Foundation makes the worst installers in the world. I can't think of a single product of theirs that I've had the privilege of using that I didn't have to manually download and/or install and/or rename some "extra" files to get the goddamn thing to work. Those people need to team up with Canonical and get them to make the install packages.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Apache is the world standard web server. You can't expect them to include whatever shit you want with it. If you want a custom package, download it from somewhere other than the Apache Foundation.

Your error is with Jasper, not Eclipse/Tomcat. Look at the Jasper docs.

8. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

obviously im not as l337 as you, cause i dont even know what Jasper is. i thought the file jasper-runtime.jar is a default part of Tomcat, cept its in 5.5 but not in 6.0. i still dunno why.

why cant things simply work... :dunno:

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I see. I did not know that jasper is included with Tomcat now. Interesting, since this is actually a reporting module, and was previously an add-on.

I dunno. I would suggest googling for the precise error you get. Getting Java stuff to work in Eclipse can be a pain in the ass until you get the paths right for includes. This was my experience doing Eclipse plugins and SWT/JFace apps in Eclipse.

Is that jar in \lib at all?

10. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

nope. jasper-runtime.jar is NOT in Tomcat 6.0

it IS, however, in Tomcat 5.5, and i imagine also in previous versions of Tomcat.

so it looks like they took it out in Tomcat 6.0, i dunno why.

now that i think about it, this error could be coming from the plugin that connects Eclipse to Tomcat. maybe its not up-to-date and has yet to implement the latest Tomcat.

11. deusexaethera

You're missing the point. Apache has all of these optional packages that it can use (and generally needs to use), but it neither includes them as installation options nor makes it clear that they need to be downloaded separately. That is unacceptable.

This is 2007, not 1989. It's expected that software should include prerequisites that it depends on, and offer recommended ancillaries, or at least provide one-click access to those prerequisites and ancillaries. If you want to get kinky and edit .INI files, you can always do that too, but to assume that the average user (even the average administrative user, in this case) wants to be bothered with tracking shit down is just stupid.

Look at Microsoft IIS; it's an integrated package and it installs seamlessly. You may not like it, it may be inferior software with security holes, but at the very least it's easy to set up. There's no reason why Apache can't offer a range of standard setups that include whatever packages those configurations require.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Very few people actually run Apache on Windows, so there is not much demand to set this up. Installing these packages on a *nix system is trivial. Download them, extract them, edit httpd.conf. Most people don't want these things included in the install, because they add bloat and decrease security if you don't need them.

Whats more, it is not the responsibility of the Apache Foundation to customize to different platforms. You know who should make that installer you want? Microsoft. I didn't have to install mod_perl on my webserver. Why? Sun did it for me. A pre-configured Apache comes with Solaris.

This is not an Apache problem, this is an MS problem. Every other OS manages to bundle and make the standard web server easy to use. MS will not, because MS doesn't do that.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Take a look at what version of Tomcat Eclipse requires. It may require a specific version.

14. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

it's probably the Tomcat plugin for Eclipse. maybe they're not supporting Tomcat 6 yet. its OK it works for now.

edit: i just checked the plugin website. there is a beta version that supports Tomcat 6. i'm using the latest stable version. i guess that one doesnt yet support 6.0

:dunno: i feel there shoulda been an easier way to do this than me (or users in general) tracking down files manually...

it looks like the plugin isn't made by the people that made Eclipse (IBM and some others isnt it?), but by a French company called Sysdeo.

man.. Eclipse is by IBM, plugin by Sysdeo, server by Apache.. one part is made by one group, another by another group, no wonder things are rather disconnected. i guess thats open source for you huh?

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Eclipse is not easy to use. It is great once you know it... I couldn't get anything done without it, but it is an absolute motherfucker because it is so general. It took me days to get my first Eclipse based application to run Hello, World. Its not just Open Source. Apache is open source. It is quite cohesive. Eclipse is the IDE for everything, and also an application framework. It is so generalized, but nobody focuses on easy configuration.

That being said, there are pre-configured Eclipse packs that will just work. There is one all setup for PHP development on MySQL, for instance.

16. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

say, can Eclipse check for HTML syntax? if so, how?

edit: never mind. Googled it. got it.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Eclipse can do anything. :)