GUN Tom DeLay Tries to Regain Gun Permit

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jake!, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Jake!

Jake! Guest

I thought this was intresting. It is too bad more people in power are not held accountable for their actions. But, I do respect his right to appeal; so I have one foot on each side. (but I hope his appeal is not granted)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2006
  2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Clearly, his record shows or indicates a propensity to misuse weapons.

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Felons should be able to purchase firearms

4. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

5. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

:ugh: ?

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

If parole boards knew some of these guy's could go out and buy firearms when released, then they'd probably reconsider releasing some of these people who just got out and commit a crime again.

7. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Critical thinking owns me today. :o :bigthumb:

8. Accord

Accord New Member

Delay isn't a felon, he just has felony charges pending against him.

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

But I was just saying in general... felons should be able to buy guns...

I guess to start if off we should just allow non-violent, non-repeat felons to buy guns. I think it's retarded how the the ATF or FBI, forgot which, has a program for people with non-violent felony charges to get their firearm ban lifted but it doesn't get any funding so it's not open...

10. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

[​IMG]

That's probably some of the worst logic I've ever heard.

11. Not all felons get jail time! You can receive as little as probation or counseling with a felony conviction if there isn't enough evidence to go after a harsher sentence. It doesn't mean they don't think that you are not dangerous. Sometimes they just CAN'T keep you off of the streets no matter what. Plus there is the issue of jail overcrowding. It's not black and white

12. Accord

Accord New Member

It makes perfect sense.

If parole boards knew that the convicted felons they want to release will easily be able to go buy a gun, the parole board would probably be a lot more hesitant in releasing the felon especially if he was convicted of a violent crime.

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The released criminals are suppose to be reformed. Should get all their rights back.

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Then they can be more selective about who actually gets jail time and who gets other sentences. I don't think some non-violent felons need to be in jail, they could just be put under house arrest and when it's over, their rights are restored.

Our jails are overcrowded anyway aren't they?

Prisoners in Angola that become trustees I think should be out and are fully capable of beign legal owners of firearms. The ones that I've heard speak sound like they know what they did and know why they're in jail. They also get to leave the prison, stand out in the public with maybe one or no guards around with many chances to just run off, and they don't. They also work around the prison with no constant supervision. Some even live alone in a house on the edge of the prison and take care of the police dogs. They are reformed... If only they could find a way to get more people to be like them...

15. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

are the trustees truly reformed? or do they just like their cushy jobs on the inside and respect their boundaries w/ the knowledge that one fuck up'll put them back into gen'l population?

16. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I agree except for a certian class of felons. Like those who are sex offenders, or have used a firearm in a convicted felony.

17. Accord

Accord New Member

18. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

You're 18 years old. You grew up poor and you have a bunch of gangbanger friends. You rob a liquor store one day with a gun. You get caught and convicted. You go to jail for several years. You don't want to go back so you decide to clean up your act. You get out of jail and have no problems during your probation. 20 years later you've had no other legal problems. You've got a family and a respectable job. You shouldn't be able to own a gun to protect yourself?

I'm not saying that a person should get his rights back at some point way down the road. Once he's out of prison and he's finished his probation he should be able to get a fucking gun. He's repayed his debt to society. If he fucks up again then he gets nailed 10 times harder.

As it stands now if someone wants to get a gun and commit a crime then they can with no problem (ilegally). It's the ones that want to clean up their act and don't want to be criminals anymore that won't get their guns. It follows the same line of thought as "if you make guns illegal then only criminals will have guns".

If you commit a violent crime with a gun then you go to jail for a long time and you're on probation for a very long time after you finally get out. It's not like we'd be handing them guns as they walk out the fucking door of the prison.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

So you're in favor of allowing a violent convicted felon such as a child rapist/murderer to be able to walk into a gunshop and legally purchase a gun just because they served their 25 years and got out?

20. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Yep. If someone wants to get a gun they'll get it illegally. The law's not stopping them if they have no respect for it. If they DO have respect for it and they're reformed then they should be able to buy a gun legally. They did their time.

21. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Since the ones that spoke with us were like 40-50 and did something stupid when they were like 18-20, then I bet they have changed in their years in prison...

22. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Good example

23. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

and aren't those imprisoned in angola mostly comprised of murderers or rapists?

24. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Delay is an asshole, but seeing as his crimes weren't of a violent nature, I think he should still have the right to own a gun.

25. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Where people with the longest sentences usually go... so, probably but there are others there.