Today's detail: '06 Black Trailblazer SS

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, May 27, 2006.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Today I worked on a black 2006 Trailblazer SS, and also took some time to teach the owner some things about proper care. The truck was only 5 weeks old, and had 1600 miles on it; so it really wasn't in TOO bad of shape. However there were some things wrong with the 3M clear film on the rockers, so there wasn't much I could do about the edges looking horrible. Regardless, process was as follows:

The owner had washed it before he came over
    Meg's #80 Speed Glaze, PC /w Meg's W-8006 polish pad @ 6
    Meg's #20 Polymer Sealant
    Zaino Z8 Grand Finale
    Stoner "More Shine" on tires
    Meg's Natural Shine on wells, trim parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the obligatory "self portrait" in the paint reflection:

[​IMG]

The owner was happy with the result; and I even got to drive the truck! WHAT A BEAST!!

Enjoy! :bigthumb:

2. MtotheIKEo

MtotheIKEo Air Suspension is ok

:cool: Black paint looks real nice when its all cleaned up

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Looks really sharp! What exactly did you teach the owner about detailing?

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

Mostly proper washing technique, how and when to use QD for maintenance, basic things like that. When he first got to my house, I saw that he'd really swirled the hood and back hatch up from washing, so I knew I had to cover some proper upkeep. We literally did half of the washing with the two-bucket method, and the other half with QEW.

He also had nasty wax stains on some of the few plastic parts on the truck, so I taught him how to remove those. And then introduced him to the art of applying THIN coats of wax, instead of thick caked-on messes. He originally thought that applying a thicker coat meant more durability :noes:

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Its so tough to convert people over to the notion that, reguardless of how much wax you apply onto the cars paint, you are still only leaving but a couple thousands of an inch of wax. So why not start out as close to that figure as possible, to make it easier all around?

I have explained this to a couple of my clients untill i am blue in teh face. ANd yet they still insist on caking the wax on in rediculas proportion. Fortunately one of them uses S100, and the other NXT Paste. So its not as though its to terribly dificult to remove the remaining residude. But none the less, they refuse to listen to conventional wisdom.

6. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Ahh... I love that

Them: I only used half the jar, I can get two cars out of it!
    Me: :hsugh:

There is quite a bit of education out there for the public. Their idea of washing a car (if it's not using an swirlomatic) is dawn and old bath towels.... and maybe just maybe buying some real car wash :(

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: The way I put it to him was, "Only so much wax can touch the surface of the car at once; anything that isn't in direct contact with the paint is just wasted product."

He also was complaining about how long it took the wax to haze so it could be wiped off; he didn't realize that not only are most products wipe-on, wipe-off, but also that the thinner the coat of wax, it will flash-cure much quicker than a thick coat.

8. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Looks great, nice work!