MMA Today's Beatdown topic!

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

What are your top 5 fights in MMA history that had the most influence on the sport? Top 5 influential MMA fights, if you will. Come up with your own list or critique mine.

I'm going to cheat with mine a little:

5. Rampage v Hendo: After Pride was purchased by the UFC, we finally get the first "Champion VS Champion" fight in the history of major MMA. The first "Undisputed Champion" even though the fight was not for the Pride belt.

4. Chuck Liddell v Randy Couture Trilogy: The trilogy that sets Chuck up as the first true superstar of Mixed Martial Arts in the USA and the face of the UFC for years to come.

3. Royce Gracie v UFC 1: Obviously the start of it all. Royce introduces the USA to Gracie Jiu Jitsu and the effect of submissions on what would soon become Mixed Martial Arts.

2. Fedor v Cro Cop: The very first and greatest Heavyweight spectacular, true "Superfight". The very top 2 fighters in the world meet in what turns out to be a great fight and one we only hope can be repeated ever again.

1. Forrest Griffen v Stephan Bonnar: This fight ended the first season of The Ultimate Fighter and basically launched the UFC to it's current level of popularity.

2. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Nog vs Fedor - Fedor was pretty much unknown to me and nog was a god.. not only was he my jiujitsu guy representin' in MMA but he was finally the champ..

Then he got completely o utclassed by Fedor.. he didn't get knocked out unexpectedly.. he didnt get submitted.. he got his ass beat bad and it was to this day the best fight i've ever seen.

I can't think of any others..

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

That's a good one.

In fact, I think Fedor was the underdog in that fight, wasn't he? It really was his emergence onto the worldwide stage (obviously since he became Pride champion).

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

OMW to the gym, you whores better participate in my thread so i can read it when i get back.

5. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

I love the beatdown, I'm glad they have the list thing on fridays though. They were thin on content and interviews lately.

I can't really argue that list though.

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

St. Pierre vs Hughes 2 and 3.

Hughes was the most dominant 170s ever, and St. Pierre made him look like a little bitch. Showed that there were fighters coming out now that were at a whole nother level.

St. Pierre vs Serra.

St. Pierre had just beaten the most dominant 170 ever, and Serra made him look like a little bitch. Showed that anything can happen in a fight and that anyone can lose anytime.

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Hendo vs Wand Pride USA
    First Pride event in the USA and the first guy to hold two weight divisions' belts in Pride history.

Rickson vs Takada Pride 1
    Launched MMA to mainstream Japan.

8. damiand

damiand Proceed

Nobuhiko Takada vs Rickson Gracie is top 3 without a doubt, probably either 1or2 even.

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

90% of MMA fans never knew that fight happened.

10. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

90% of MMA fans from the USA never knew that fight happened.

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Fans in the USA are the ones that matter. :dunno:
    The new shows in Japan are doing shitty ratings-wise, and have no effect on the growth of the sport here. Unless EliteXC or UFC do a show in Japan sometime soon.

Josh Gross said it: If Cro Cop goes on to win the Dream Heavyweight title... who cares?

Plus rather than being influential, I see Nobuhiko Takada vs Rickson Gracie as being the birth of the freakshow match. Only for ratings... nothing to offer to the sport.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

Hughes v Newton
    Hughes v Trigg
    Fedor v Randleman
    1st Chuck v Rampage (complete shock to me, i thought liddell was gonna fucking kill him but nope)
    Fedor v Nog