to you who take muay thai and BJJ..question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by illmaticnyc, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

im a newb. i want to start these two. renzo gracie has a school right near my house. im thinking of doing that during the week but to get my striking down i wanted to take up muay thai. i found a guy by the name of masterk elbow? i believe he has a website and is located in nj. anyone heard of him?

i am limited to taking a 1.5 hr class once a week for muay thai. is that really little? and is the combination of these two should give me a solid basis for fighting. not that im going out to go fight but just like any training i want to get it done the right way.
    thanks guys

2. joy division

joy division New Member

anythings better than nothing. If you are serious about it you'll be doing a shitload more than 1.5 hours a week...that is really NOTHING, classes should be at least 2-3 hours per class if you are doing specific conditioning /sparring as well as technique...or all 3 once you get good.

3. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Renzo is one of the best instructors. Personally if I were you I would focus on bjj for a few weeks just to see if he implements standup. Where I train we do about 30% muay thai.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah at my school (a relson gracie academy) we have a full time muay thai instructor.

5. ChutUps

ChutUps New Member

If you can only go 1.5 hours a week, just make sure you make good use of that time. Really work on the technique when you start, and if you can work on what you learn outside of class. You can shadow box and hit a bag if you have access to one.

6. Sylva

Sylva New Member

MT is also trained at the school I attend if you want it(BTT-Kc)

7. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

build a good bjj base and some conditioning before you even worry about your standup. You don't have to jump in all at once, though it is obviously admirable if you do....most people just end up doing a little of everything half assed. As was mentioned there will be some striking covered at most bjj school.

8. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I agree with this. I was doing pure bjj before I started learning standup. Not my choice, but because my school changed the class structure to work on no-gi and standup.

Either way though, i had a good 6 months of bjj under my belt first. This not only gave me some decent conditioning, but also sort of served as a base. In sparring if I can't hold my own against someone on my feet, I can go for the takedown. If I were equally noobish in both fields, I wouldn't have that option.

For what its worth, I've been training about 9 months at this place, and I'm about to start at a boxing club training the days I'm not at bjj

9. joy division

joy division New Member

i did stand up and grecco roman before i even began to touch bjj...but everywhere is different...

10. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I started stand up but now my ground game has gotten just as good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.