To Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu?????

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 777, Feb 2, 2007.

1. 777

777 New Member

I'll start this off by saying I have xp configured the way I like it but their recent Vista DRM crap really puts a sour taste in my mouth and would like to go linux.

I use my computer for basic text editting, watching 'videos', internet, playing games (infrequently) and listening to mp3's. I like my computer to look clean.

Questions for you that have Ubuntu:
    What are the startup and shutdown times relative to xp?
    Is it a pain to setup and maintain?

fyi: I work with computers at my job and don't want to spend all my free time fixing my home pc....

Thanks..

2. Strife

Strife Active Member

I'm in for this too, I built a new C2D comp recently, wondering how easy/hard it is to switch from xp to ubuntu for a new user, of course I'd just use my partitioned C and throw it on the other half.

3. soundmaster2.0

soundmaster2.0 Toasted OT Supporter

I'm in the middle of burning kubuntu and from what I hear it is really cool. As far as any linux distros go there are few games that are made for linux. As far as internet and word processing, well they can be done rather easliy in linux for the most part.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

5. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I "accidentally" ordered a 250gb hard drive that I'll eventually use for an external drive, but I'm thinking of throwing ubuntu on it until I find a ext case i like.

6. Emanon

Emanon Active Member

You can also boot from a live CD and run it without installing. Give it a try.

7. soundmaster2.0

soundmaster2.0 Toasted OT Supporter

Linux Live ftmfw

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ubuntu can be easy to set up or more challenging, depending on your hardware/experience. I had horrid times with getting my Nvidia drivers installed but with some help from OT, I got it up and running and love Ubuntu.

One suggestion, after you install be sure to install automatix. It takes a raw Ubuntu install to a functional machine....Flash can be really frustrating to get up and running properly. Automatix really helps with this.

Also, the best guides I have ever found for an installation of Linux are on the Ubuntu site. These are even better than the Ubuntu books I bought (which must have been written for some generic Linux distro or haven't been properly maintained).

Ubuntu has a first rate community also (forums). Very helpful, knowledgable and friendly.

I honestly wish I could completly dump my windows installs but I can't. I like to game too much and the best games are on Windows platforms. Not only games but there are somethings that I find I absolutely must have windows for.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Any version of Linux is going to be more complicated to get running right as compared to Windows. However, my own experience thus far with *buntu is that, if you know how to edit .CONF files and then use the SUDO command to give you permission to overwrite the protected copies of those files, you can get anything to work within a couple hours of realizing there's a problem.

10. 777

777 New Member

I tried the live cd. Looked cool enough but couldn't gauge the actual load times because it's running off the cd. I tried the install so I could have a dual boot but it got stuck when it was trying to create a partition :eek3:

Luckily xp fixed itself. Maybe i'll give it a go once I backup some stuff...

11. Coottie

Oh yeah...load times:

Ubuntu Box:
    Athlon 1.4Ghz
    1/2 GB Ram
    40GB 5400 RPM drive

Win XP Pro Box:
    Intel 2.8Ghz
    1/2 Gb Ram
    100GB 7200 RPM drive

They were about even on load times. The XP box would provide a desktop image first but keep loading in the background making the system UNuseable due to lag. However, on the Ubuntu box, when you saw the desktop, it was ready to go. When I say they were even, I mean from the time I pressed the power button till the computer was in a useable state. Both machines would become useable at the same time.

So based on this emperical evidence, Ubuntu loads faster cuz it's on the slower hardware.

Shutdown time...Ubuntu was the clear winner. However, for some reason it doesn't power off the box when it shuts down....I think it's an issue with my hardware becasue I've seen it work on other machines.

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ubuntu takes a lot longer to load than winxp on my amd athlon 64 3000+ with a gig of ram

computers at school have suse and fedora on them, they are pentium d's with 2gb of ram (overkill in my opinion, just like how they don't need dvd burners), suse takes about double the time to load compared to winxp

i've never come across a machine that could load a full linux gui desktop (kde or gnome) faster than winxp. i don't doubt it exists though

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I am unable to get the Ubuntu live disc to run on my C2D build.

I googled the error I got, and it showed it to be related to the C2D's.

14. Coottie

Useable time is what matters tho....just because you can see the windows desktop doesn't mean you can use it...at least on my systems it doesn't. Windows loads a hell of a lot after you see the desktop.

15. Coottie

Are you running the 64Bit version or 32 Bit one?

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I tried to run the 32bit one.

But I never even got it to boot up. And I got the same exact error
    with two different versions.

17. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Microsoft has the startup precedure fairly well thought out in terms of speed at least. GNU/Linux distros using the billion year old init system aren't fast at all, but they work. You can technically setup initng to speed it up, but it's work and not usually a small amount of it.

18. samm

samm Next in Line

Linux does not deteriorate over time like Windows, so you don't need to restart/shutdown/reinstall nearly as often. I run Ubuntu Edgy Eft on my Thinkpad T42 at work with an uptime of around 3 months. That includes undocking the laptop and taking to and from meetings daily.

19. Mr. Kitty Litter

Mr. Kitty Litter OT Supporter

I couldn't get past the login screen with ubuntu (Live) on my iMac. So, I said f it.

20. deusexaethera

Linux always has trouble with hardware support. Not surprisingly, the companies that actually make money off each other do a much better job of supporting each other's products. Linux gets the scraps.

21. deusexaethera

Linux not deteriorating is a goddamn myth. The two friends I have who actually use Linux as their primary OS have to reinstall every few months because inevitably a new driver version -- or even a kernel update -- will render their machines useless.

Linux certainly has a more organized and standardized method for where certain types of files get installed to, and that's a huge benefit, but if Windows would just ditch the Registry and go back to using .INI files, it would get rid of its one design characteristic that can actually bring it crashing to the ground -- Registry faults. I'm not gonna say Windows is perfect in every other way, but the Registry is the one thing that I curse Microsoft for more often than anything else.

Oh, and how exactly do I defrag in Linux? I've been trying to figure that out for quite some time now -- I don't care how stable the various Linux file formats are and how they don't need to be defragged to keep files from corrupting, defragging will still speed up my boot times.

22. samm

samm Next in Line

fsck

alternatively, run tune2fs to enable fsck to run every X reboots or after X hours/days/weeks/months. I think the default is around 25 or 30 boots. Like I said earlier I don't reboot very often so I'm honestly not sure.

23. deusexaethera

fsck is the command I want? Good to know. Is there a Debian package for it, or does it come with Ubuntu to start with? Does it have a pretty GUI that I can stare at?

24. samm

samm Next in Line

no gui, it should be installed by default. Check the man page for usage. Log files are stored in /var/log/fsck

25. deusexaethera

Okay, I ran fsck on my Xubuntu machine, but all it did was check the journal; it didn't actually stick file fragments back together. Does ext3 not allow file fragmentation, or is there (as I suspected) just no utility for Debian that defrags filesystems?