To those that popped the question...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by MossMan813, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MossMan813

MossMan813 New Member

I am in VERY preliminary thoughts of asking my SO to marry me. How did you subtly find out what cut stone she likes, what ring size she is, what she would like, etc. without tipping her off? It's not like clothes where you can just look at a tag. I also don't think this is something you can just ask or bring up in casual conversation. How did you guys do it?

2. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

Run, use the ring money to put a down payment on a Porsche.

TL:dr

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

My bf oh so slyly showed me a Jeweler's brochure with engagement rings on it and said "what do you like?"

I'd rather him be blunt than get me a ring I hate :dunno: Might take some "romance" out of it but I'm not that girl anyway. Some might say "if he really knows you he'll know what to get" and that just makes me laugh hysterically. He also has my sister, mom and girlfriend to go to for help.

4. Joshua

Joshua ambition over everything OT Supporter

I think I am the last man on the planet who intends to propose in an unplanned fashion when it happens. Everyone I know who is getting married is in the same shoes as you. They'll know when it is coming, they'll expect it, no element of surprise what so ever.

I feel old school for once. Ballin. Then again maybe this is why I'm single. :shrug:

OP - Her mother like Babylon said.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Unless she has close girlfriends that you are in good with. I say this because my best girlfriend knows the ring I love and my ring size :rofl:

Edit: my bf also made me walk into a jewelry store in our mall and show me types I liked....so yeah, there's that.

6. Joshua

Too much potential to blow up imo and ruin it. And realistically, if she doesn't like your ring, she can take it back and you can find her something she loves. I think you'll be so stoked on the fact that she said yes that her taste in rings will be irrelevant.

If you don't want her to find out how much it cost, don't buy her one. Everyone woman will figure that out. :wavey:

Edit: Then again, neither beer nor I have proposed before and we're whoring this thread. :eek:

7. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:) i think that's awesome! i think too much knowledge is a bad thing. in fact, one of my good girl friends got "officially" engaged on jan 31st. well, she would've but she found out before because one of the mutual friends of theirs blabbed to her about it... she asked her if he asked her yet. :rolleyes: so of course she couldn't wait after that. she asked him, he fessed up... even told her his entire plans on how he was gonna ask her! :wtc: way to take all the romance out of it...

sooo when he got the rings, he asked her if she wanted to wear it. :rolleyes: she wore her ring before he popped the question. then, on jan 31st, he followed through with his plan and asked her to marry him ;)

:o i'm a hopeless romantic, and although i'm not requiring/hoping for a 'the bachelor' type proposal, i'd hope it wouldn't get ruined, and i don't want to constantly wonder...

anyways... back to the topic... my friend and her fiance [mentioned above] went to the mall one day to do some shopping. she didnt need anything, but he said he wanted to go, so she joined him. he took her to a store, and she tried one on. ;) she picked out the one she wanted to buy. marriage had been talked about prior to the shopping trip, btw.

8. Joshua

YES SEE!!!

9. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

yup.. i have many a story like that...

friend of mine was in a sorority, and she found out her now hubby was ring shopping because a sorority sister's blabbed about seeing him there. :uh:

seriously, girls... :rofl: wtf!!

10. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

From what my friends have done...

To get the ring size, if she wears a ring, just "borrow" one. Take it to the jeweler and then they can tell you the size. Others have taken play-doh and pressed the ring into it to get the size.

11. Joybang

Joybang New Member

If she has an idea that your relationship is going that way keep your ears open for hints and ideas. Just pay close attention to what she says she likes. Hell, next time you too go out shopping purposefully lead her past the jewelry store, she won't be able to resist babbling about what she likes.

12. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

My husband and I (before he was my husband) used to talk about engagement rings all the time. He would comment on others or say what style he liked and I would tell him what I liked. We even discussed the fact that I wanted him to choose the ring and I didn't want a part of it.

All this happened years before he actually popped the question. Do you guys get junk mail in the US. Use a jewellery catalogue and go " I like that style, what about you?"

13. MossMan813

MossMan813 New Member

TY to all who posted...I obviously don't want to talk about it at all. I am much like Joshua as I don't want to give any hints, etc. I know exactly how I will do it, and it will be a while from now if it happens...just starting to try to figure out a plan.

So simple, yet so brilliant. Excellent advice. TY.

14. lauren

lauren Active Member

i'd at least check with the mom to make sure theres no heirloom piece, even if her friends are more into her sense of style. :dunno:

15. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

My husband bluntly asked me what kind of engagement ring I wanted, and would ask me over and over at least once a week for almost a year before he proposed. I was glad he asked me, I mean, I'm gonna wear it for the rest of my life with my wedding band. It didnt give anything away, asking me, either. We'd been talking about getting married before he even asked what kind of ring I wanted, and even then, it was nearly a year before he popped the question.

If he asked my mom, he would have been totally lost. She is all about big stones, and I'm not. If its under 1ct for her, she doesn't want it. I have small fingers and .52ct is big enough on my size 4 finger!