MIL To the pilots in here

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by schmitty101, Jan 19, 2010.

1. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

After reading this post by Jyokker:

"schmitty101, you have to understand that many of us have seen people come into the service with prior problems. Some of those people choose to break the law because they think the law is invalid. Whether or not it is valid is debatable, unless you are in the military. Here is where some people have a problem. People won't change the way they think when they enter the service. They continue to hang onto the things they did in the past. Many choose to set illegal activities aside during their military career. The ones that don't give everyone else a bad name because they stand out - big time.

Many people in this forum, including myself, have seen first-hand people who did not leave that life behind. It affects the mission, and the people they work with. This causes resentment and they react when we get newbs coming in here talking about a ton of drug use and they have high aspirations.

This is OT. If you can't take the beating online, then you sure as hell don't need to be in the military.

That said, we do come down pretty hard on people who claim prior drug use. Some people forget what their life was like before they joined.

Thread locked. Have a nice day."

Now I understand why you have such a concern with certain people joining the service and becoming aviators. He/she explained in a very articulate way why there is cause for alarm and why you don't want a person with bad habits part of your air crew.

I've had an interest in things that fly since I was a little kid. I've always wanted to become a fighter pilot. This isn't something I'm pursuing because I have no more options. I have plenty of options, and this is the one I am picking. I am going to wait another 3 years so I can finish my bachelors degree before joining the service and applying to become a pilot. The reason: because I feel that I can better serve my country if I have a better head on my shoulders. I'm not doing it for the extra pay or status of being a commissioned officer. I understand the risks involved. I understand that I will be put in harms way and there may come a time where I might have to sacrifice my life to save others, and I am prepared to do that. By this time it will have been 5-6 years since I have touched any type of drug. Given these terms, am I still not a person you would want sitting next to you in the cockpit?

I grew up in a bad home with very little guidance. Statistics show that kids in my position will make a few mistakes growing up. I made em, learned from em, and now i'm a stronger person. I've had to learn everything on my own. I think this is something where you would have the know me as a person before you can pass judgement. I'm sorry if you still feel that I'd be a hazard, but if this is something I am going to spend the next 3 years preparing for then surely that must count for something.

2. subgraphic

subgraphic OT Supporter

fantastic, then.

3. Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift New Member

Good for you Mayo

4. Kafka

Kafka New Member

pretty sure every red blooded male has wanted or still wants to be a fighter pilot. you're going to be in a field of intense competition....lifelong desire and a bachelor's might not be enough dude. :hs:

5. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

Fighter pilot/helicopter pilot/Boeing cargo transport planes

It's all good with me. The only point I wanted to make was that I want to fly.

6. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

well you don't really have a choice to not wait until you finish college........

7. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

Who the fuck says Boeing cargo planes???

Whats wrong with Mc Donnel Douglas, Lockheed or Airbus:x:??

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

9. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

good luck.