MMA To the cage bros that train Muay Thai *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by darkjedi, Oct 21, 2007.

1. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Was anyone laughing/frustrated at how Rich was "defending" against the clinch? How the hell does anyone not teach Rich to defend against the clinch after his first match with Silva? resisting the clinch will only give you a sore neck and a knee to the face. he should have either tried to get his forearms against silvas chest and got in the inside to get a clinch of his own or got inside and pushed out. how the hell does a pro fighter not know now how to deal with the clinch in this day and age?

2. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

It was probably alot harder for him to defend than it looked. I would imagine Silva is crazy strong. Or he could have simply panicked because that is how he got his face rearranged last time and forgot what to do.

3. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I agree, he seems lost when it comes to actual muay thai. I wonder if that he hasn't been listening to his trainer, or that his trainer just isn't that good. I mean, it's fairly basic how to break a clinch, just posture forward with your hips, bring your hand up and through his arms and use it as a lever. It's one of the first things they teach you.

I think Rich really needs to take a long hard look at who he's training with and to start going around to some other fighters. He should go meet up with Brandon Vera/Rob Kaman for awhile, perhaps take a month or two in Holland or Thailand, try Greg Jackson. I think Rich is starting to suffer from stagnation.

4. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

muay thai clinch != mma clinch

They are not the same thing nor are they interchangeable. If you practice a standard thai clinch you are going to end up on your back all fight.

There is so much he was doing wrong, and so much Anderson was doing right that it would take all day to break it down.

6. miek

miek New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

he brought in matt hume to train him for this fight, only reason why it got past the first round

8. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

To everyone saying "he shoulda been able to break the clinch easily," you're fucking stupid.

To everyone saying "he needs to train with different people," likewise.

He was as ready as he's ever gonna be. Anderson just has his number. You think he hasn't trained all the techniques you know for breaking the clinch? Please. You think some other trainer would really have been able to bestow some magical new knowledge upon him that would make the difference? Please. He just couldn't execute, because he was taken apart by a guy that is just plain better.

I felt so bad for Rich last night because looking in his eyes, you can see that he knows this is true. It was hard to watch.

9. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

you're pretty dumb dude, that clinch is not that hard to break. If Rich trained with a legit MT coach he would have got out of it.

It's not a fucking magical hold, its designed to control your neck/spine, you cant expect to outmuscle the hold by using your neck to pull back.

look at the screencap that was posted if rich put his arms inside and secured a MT clinch to the back of the neck he could have fired off his own knees or pushed off. youre and idiot.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  10. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

i find it hard to believe that rich didn't train specifically for this scenario.

11. Sylva

Sylva New Member

So if Anderson put you in his clinch you would be able to get out of it just like that. No problem. :mamoru:

12. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

yup, you def should have been in there instead of rich

13. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Rich Franklin knows how to get out of a clinch, just look at his fight with Tanner. I don't think it is a lack of knowledge that lost him the fights with Silva.

14. pats0

pats0 New Member

lol @ rich not knowing how to get out of a clinch. Of course he does, it's just hard to do when it's Anderson Silva clinching you. I know how to defend an armbar, doesn't mean Marcelo Garcia can't armbar me.

btw Rich did fairly well avoiding the clinch in comparison to his last fight.

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

so your advice is to swim and get inside control of the clinch. I am sure he never thought of that :ugh:

cause its definitely that easy.

In an ideal scenario he would have been able to step in, marry the hips, bear hug Silva, step that right leg inbetween Silva's legs to keep him from being able to break his grip, then go for some form of a GR takedown.

In actuality it is way harder than that, and if you watch Silva he is always keeping his hips far enough that you cant bear hug him, close enough that he cant eat returning knees or lose his positioning, then his hips just bounce back and fire forward fast and at mean angles.

There's just so much good about his clinch game that you cant criticize Rich for failing. It's like criticizing Franca for being out wrestled by Sherk.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  16. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Franklin was afraid to get knocked out. His defense against the clinch was to look up at the clock.

Here he with his eyes stuck on the clock for 3 seconds before the knee landed. It was the saddest thing I had ever watched. Franklin's a better fighter than this. He's just mentally weak. You could see it in his eyes before the bout. Silva's ooze of confidence made him question himself. He only threw 2-3 power shots the whole fight. None of those kicks were hard. When Silva was doing that silly dance Franklin threw a left head kick without following through.

[​IMG]

17. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Anderson just outperformed him on every level, thats all there was to it

18. Bausk

Bausk New Member

:mamoru:

19. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

:rofl:

No shit. Fighting the arguably best pound for pound fighter in the world would give all of these keyboard warriors a rough go of things as well.

Franklin, for whatever reason, doesn't have it in him to beat Silva.

20. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

:rofl:

21. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Especially after you had already been messed up pretty badly by punches prior to getting into the clinch... Hell, Rich was essentially flash ko'ed at the end of round 1, so I can't imagine his mental or physical condition was that great going into round 2...

22. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

seriously. and anyone is mentally weak when fighting someone like anderson. Rich was fighting in slow motion compared to him, and when you are in a situation like that it destroys you mentally.

23. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Thanks for breakin it down for me, since you're a "muay thai expert" and all.:rolleyes: Someone else said it very well...knowing how to defend an armbar doesn't mean Marcelo Garcia can't armbar you. Knowing and being able to execute while facing top competition are very different things.

24. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

That should have ended the fight imo. They shouldn't have come out for r2. He got knocked out twice within 2 minutes. His last memory was probably when he woke up from bed that morning!

Franklin looked like he was struggling with Anderson's height in the clinch. He could not get any sort of leverage to defend it.

25. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

as soon as i saw that same look in rich's eyes from the first fight, eyes open wide and just looking lost and scared, I knew he was going to get ruined again.