SRS To take the pills or not to take the pills?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kerberos, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

I went to see a psychiatrist today, she suggested that I take anti-depressants. I was hesitant about taking drugs so she gave me two names: Celexa and Manerix and told me to contact her again if I wanted to be medicated.

What do you guys think?

2. Smutty

Smutty OT Supporter

A Psych's evaluation is a lot better than a Family Doctor's. They just hand them out like candy.

3. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

It's a psychiatrist I went to see.

4. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Psychaiatrist solve all problems with pills, if I were you I would go to psychologist and have them help you work out your problems. If nothing works for you then the psychologist will give you meds but Psychaiatrist suck because no matter what you go to them for they will just give you a pill. That is what they do.

5. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Psychiatrists only job (pretty much) is to prescribe medication, so of course they will recommend it. I would recommend seeing a psychologist first to be evaluated before jumping the gun, especially if you are hesitant. Have a few sessions, get a good diagnosis, and do the research online to see what other people think about the various drugs out there. Remedyfind.com seems to be a good site for just that.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  6. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

I was talking to my friend earlier, and he told me the same thing. All psychiatrists know about are drugs. I'm seeing my family doctor next week so I'll be sure to ask her to direct me to a psychologist instead.

I seriously don't see why she is so prone to give me drugs with some scary side effects just because I'm slightly depressive mostly because of my heavy workload at school. All I want is for them to help me have a small break from school. The psychiatrist is telling me that she won't even give me any sort of note or anything unless I take the medication. WTF? If that's not pressure, I don't know what is.

7. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Because that is a psychiatrist's job. They use drugs to try to solve any problem. If one doesn't work then they'll give you another one to try. Docs are very big on pushing pills instead of trying to talk to you to find out what is causing your problems. A psychologist is the only one who will talk to you and not try to give you pills (because they can't).

8. Changed

Changed Guest

you mean psychiatrist, right?

9. JemmaX

JemmaX New Member

how is your quality of life right now? do you go out with friends? have some fun times? do you find that you isolate yourself or avoid others? do you feel sad, do you feel a heavy wieght in your chest when you think about your life? these are questions (and others) that should have been asked about you before medication was prescribed. If you feel that your 'depression' is restricting your life then, yes maybe medication would be beneficial. And both you mentioned are fairly new ones so they have less side effects than some others.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

Wait...so you want a doc to write you out of school because there's too much work, but you're complaining because the doc is saying if you're depressed then you should take a med for it and you're bitching that the doc is wrong, you just want a break from school?

Aren't you doing the EXACT SAME thing you're bitching about the doc doing?? Taking the easy way out??

WTF......you don't need a psychologist or a psychiatrist and you don't need meds. You need to man-up and either do the work or fail at the work and not blame the work for making you "slightly depressive" for the reason you're not finishing.

11. SpaMan

SpaMan Mind over matter.

Sometimes the placebo effect of taking a drug alone can help. Rewires the brain off your regular routine. It all depends on your circumstances.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

:rolleyes:

13. 7960

7960 New Member

:rolleyes: right back atcha........... because I got it 100% correct.

14. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I used to do the same thing. I would start school and fuck up right from the start, get behind on work and the become depressed about it. Now though I try as hard as I can from the start to the end and my grades are great and I am really happy because I don't have the stress of worrying about failing a class or always being far behind.

15. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Woops. Fixed. Thanks.

16. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

Not at all. Though thanks for offering insight into your own personality.:squint:

17. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

If it's from a heavy workload, it's stress related. Medication can't fix your way of life.

You need to change the way you live in order to feel better about yourself. Think about what you are doing now and how is it effecting your life. How about a run down of what you do each day and what is causing you to have such a heavy work load? What factors play into it?

18. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

To explain in the fewest words: working full-time as a coop student in Software Engineering in a high tech development company while studying Software Engineering full-time from May to December of last year. All that while maintaining a GPA of 4.00. Came back in January only school and could barely keep up under a full-time course load only. Need to recuperate.

19. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm going by what YOU said.
    What she's saying is she thinks you're full of it and that you're trying to get her to give you some time off because you want it, not because you need it.

20. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

I don't feel like arguing, and please stop attacking me.:wtc:

I explained myself but all you want is to be proven right.

21. 7960

7960 New Member

:rolleyes: oh, come on.

I'm not attacking you and there is no "right." I'm replying to what you are posting. You are giving the information, you are telling us your side, you you you. I'm just mirroring it back to you. If you don't like what you're reading remember the what the source was.

22. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

Perhaps I did not express myself well enough. What I meant with light depression is that I was previously diagnosed with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia .
    I suspect that I'm currently only experiencing a relapse and a more difficult period right now because of a difficult period recently during which I was studying full-time and working full-time at the same time. I don't think medication is necessary for me. Counselling, some time off and talking would probably be much more beneficial for me.

23. JustJeff

Counseling will definately help you. It seems like you are over-working yourself. I've been in that same situation (and I'm only a freshman Computer Engineering Student. I sorta know how you feel? a little bit...).

Medication will NOT help you in this situation. It may get rid of the depressed feelings, but it won't fix why you are getting thme. What you need to do is find something that you enjoy doing. If it's just programming, start programming a game for fun. Make a 2-D RPG game... or do some fun stuff on a computer board. Maybe pick up an instrument and play some music.

Join an organization on campus with other fellow programming students or the like. Do something that you WANT to do, instead of doing stuff that people tell you to do. That is your fisrt problem. Go out to dinner with some friends and just have a good time. Have FUN! It seems like that's what is the source of your depression or sadness. You need to calm down and stop doing so much at once. It will screw with your body.

I don't really think you need some time off... you can probably maintain the school load and still be able to re-coop. You are a very intelligent person, so don't make a stupid mistake ^.^

Talk to the counselor on campus and express your concern. S/he may be able to help you out with your work load. Maybe talk to your advisor in your major and see what s/he says about your work load and what you can do to "lighten" up a bit. If you took a coop and went to school full time, are you planning to graduate early? I really wouldn't suggest doing so, but that's personal opinion. She may be able to locate gaps in your schedule that you can make to lighten up what your doing without that strong of a penalty on your major studies.

24. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Isn't there only like 3 weeks left in the term?

25. JustJeff

a month and a half