WEB to run a dedicated server...is it hard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Baby Jai, May 1, 2008.

1. Baby Jai

Baby Jai MT Pimp OT Supporter

Ok here is the situation, on my site I have to go dedicated, the only problem is I never ran one before and every company I talk to says I have to configure, I have to maintain it and so on. The only problem is......I have no idea what I am doing...I am very computer literate and have done VB coding. However, I dont know about setting up servers. Someone know a good site to read about it? Or just let me know how truly hard it is.

2. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

just get a server with cpanel and pray no one hacks it. ;)

3. autox

autox OT Supporter

I was kinda scared to do it, but I went with liquidweb and they have helped me with any issues that Ive had. I previously tried aplus and they kinda sucked. I would definitely go with cpanel over plesk too

4. Bonken

Bonken New Member

^^ Here's a good provider of dedi's http://www.softlayer.com they're instant live help 24\7 & everytime we've phoned them they picked up within like 2-3 seconds.

They don't offer cpanel, but http://www.cpanel.com you can purchase a license & I think they'll set it up for you, don't buy directly from them though go to the re-sellers (can be found on the website) and find one which will set it up for you, can prob get cpanel @ 15-25$/m

5. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

Since you have no experience then pay more for a managed dedicated server then a unmanaged one.

6. wiredup

wiredup Guest

I'd recommend liquidweb.com as well. You can generally get a quick response from the support team. They've helped us will all kind of things like installing ffmpeg, database dumps, whatever we ask? lol

7. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

Go with liquidweb, don't go to softlayer as a first timer, when you submit a ticket in the control panel of softlayer it charges youper a ticket.

Liquidweb is free and fast and you cna always get themon the phone. cpanel and whm make it cake.

8. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

Frankly, with zero experience of managing a dedicated server you're going to find it an uphill struggle.

cPanel will help you out with a lot of tasks but hardening your server and kernel upgrades are not something you can figure out intuitively, and if your server is crucial to the running of a business, it's probably not something you want to leave to chance. If you can't afford a managed dedicated server, then I would looking into at least hiring someone who can initially harden the server and configure the firewall etc.

Simple things like, running grsecurity kernel, apache mod_security (with a good configuration), disabling direct root login via SSH, running SSH on a random high port number will probably help and are good starting points. :)

9. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

+1 on SoftLayer. I've called at 4AM and had support available to troubleshoot server issues. They also offer KVM over IP. However, if you've never had experience, you may want to look for managed services.

10. vincentfasho

vincentfasho New Member

go with managed.. at your request.. they can update kernel, cpanel updates, compile perl/php/ror/pear, etc. hell, if you need help just shoot me a pm.

11. Half-Time

Half-Time OT Supporter

I'm going to second liquidweb. They have went above and beyond with support on my dedi

12. Baby Jai

Baby Jai MT Pimp OT Supporter

the only reason i have to find a ded server is cause of the emails of my board, its about 2grand a day for people subscribed to stuff and godaddy cannot handle it

13. exify

exify Active Member

what?