To ride fast you must first ride slow... (long)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Short Bus, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

...or at least that's how I've been treating my bike when it comes to curvy roads.

After several weeks of experimenting I've finally found a comfortable position for "hanging off" my F4. When I first started playing with it I felt clunky and uncomfortable, I'd get sore after 20 minutes of riding. I'd practice on roads that I knew, and I'd go pretty slow, or at least not nearly as fast as the bike was capable of going.

Did some homework and I learned a few things...

1. Stay on the balls of your feet
    2. Put weight on the outside foot, pushing off the bike with that foot
    3. Use the inner thigh of your outside leg to keep your leverage by holding it against the tank
    4. Keep a loose grip on the handle bars
    5. Do not use the handle-bars to hold yourself on the bike, don't even put pressure on them
    6. Keep your spine inline with the bike
    7. Move your head forward so that it would go where your mirror is
      [/list=1]

I found that my biggest problem was that I had a death grip on the handlebars and I was using them to hold myself on the bike. Once I figured out that I could hold myself up perfectly fine with the inner thigh of my outside leg and release all that pressure on the handlebars not only does the bike feel worlds more stable, but it's actually as comfortable to hold your body in that position compared to sitting on the seat.

Before I also noticed that I was putting an aweful lot of weight on the inside peg, which I knew was incorrect. But when I discovered the outside leg thigh thing that completely fixed both that and the handlebar thing.

When I'm in that position the bike seriously wants to dive into turns. But since I've been going pretty slow I find that it's very easy to turn too sharply, I don't like crossing the center line of the road.

My transitions from side to side have also improved as a result.

A lot of the guys that I've met who are also new to 600 supersports seem to be taking a different approach. They all try to go down a road as fast as they can without even thinking about proper technique. While they're tearing ass down roads at way too fast getting their speed fix I'm putzing around in the back.

But after figuring out how to hang off I can keep up with far less effort. In fact, I feel like I'm even going slow while these guys are hustling their bikes as fast as they think they can go. It's a great feeling. :)

...and on a side note, a friend of mine and I went for a ride, which was the ride that I put all of this together. I was leading, showing him how to get to my favorite backroad. It was dusk so we weren't pushing it, in fact, we were behind a truck that was seriously hauling ass. :) We hit one turn that surprised the both of us just a bit and I just dropped the bike further and rolled on the throttle a bit.

When we hit our rest stop we started talking about it and he said I got *LOW*, as in all I would have had to do is stick my inside knee out and my jeans would have been shredded. But the wierd thing was that I was going slow around the turn, or at least I thought I was. It was a pretty sharp turn.

But I love seeing how my plan at teaching myself a few things about riding is seriously paying off. My goal is to be a fast rider, but not feel like I'm going fast. I don't ride because I want an adrenaline rush, that's what gets you hurt in a hurry.

My F4 has tought me more about riding in the past month than I've learned through years of riding. I love this bike. :)

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

In racing quads you use some what of the same techniqe only you are trying to break the rear loose so in the corrner you come in fast break verry hard slide off teh seat use the same weight distrobution as short bus jsut said only you move you body forward first and feather the clutch to break the rear loose as you exit the corrner you start to slide back and onto the seat once agin to start to regain traction

the biggest problem i had was holding on to tight i was getting arm pump so bad i coulnt hold on to the bike any more. since i leanred to hold on wiht my legs my new problem in all of the brusies on my legs

3. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

My riding rules :)

1. In slow=fast out.
    2. Smooth is fast
    3. Look where you go, target fixation is bad!
    4. Ride at your own pace.
    5. Save it for the track!

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

another thing that I learned in quad racing never coast be either on the gas or on the breaks you woudl be suprised how much tiem you waste coasting the only problem is running up on some one who coasts into the corrners when yoru coming in much faster its kinda hard on bumpers but i think thats what there there for

5. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

That is a big part of why people go slower then they actually could. All gas or all brakes keeps the whole operation doing something. The flip side of that is learning when to go all brakes and how much you can do.

Excellent point though.:bigthumb:

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yeah it took a few tries to learn when to start breaking in a corrner and when to pick up the trottle you realy have to have a feel for your machine and i agree slower is better to learn on when i go to a track for the frist time im slwo as hell in practice jsut getting a feel fo rthe track looking for spots to pass and avoid soft spots to crash ect

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

we should start a drivng technics posts
    kinda liek a beginers guide ill take care of the quad part :p

8. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

It's a shame that there's so many people out there who don't understand #2. If you place an emphasis on smoothness being fast will follow, and if you're smooth and in the zone you won't even notice the speed.

I goofed up on #3 a couple weeks after I got my F4, which resulted in my dropping it. :sad2: Sucks, but I'm a better rider because of it.

When in a group I always ride in the back because of #4. I can back off, let them go, and do my thing. Half the time I end up catching everybody else with no problems.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

short bus have you ever done any dirt riding? I think you would raealy like it its not as presise as pavment but its the whoa controled chaos thing that i like. and dirt is softer than pavment :blue:

10. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Nope, but I want to get out and play around some time. :big grin: May get the opportunity soon.

11. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

Liquid motion means you are calm. Calm means you can concentrate. Concentration means you are in the zone. :bigthumb:

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

if your ever in iowa we can go to a practice track an you can try a quad