To people who have suffered major knee injuries

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TXLBS, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I'd like to know your specific injury, what you did in physical therapy, then what you did when you left physical therapy, and how your knee has reacted?

I'm in that physical therapy to real training transition, and I'm looking for smart ways to build work capacity (to get used to full training days again), build strength and stabilization in the knee, and then to get back into the weight game.

PS, if you don't like me - thats fine. Pretend someone else asked the question, or think of the people not posting this topic who could be learning.

Thanks.

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Mike Robertson just released this product yesterday

www.bulletproofknees.com

3. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Looks sweet, but 100$ price tag is kind of steep imo.

4. TZ

TZ Banned

Not for bulletproof knees it's not :hsnono:

5. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Well its an important enough topic, ESPECIALLY for me. I just don't have the kind of resources to drop 100$ on something like that until august after I graduate and get my job :hs:

And on top of that 100$, you can bet its gonna say to get some other stuff thats gonna cost more. Being out of the game for long enough to forget how expensive this whole lifestyle is.

6. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

<--------------Screen Name ;)

Tore my ACL and Meniscus about 4 years ago. I had surgery then waited 2.5 months before I did anything. Then started with really light bands and stretching. Took me approximately 1 year to get back to full strength. Didnt start squating for another 6 months after that. Really light Full ROM squats did wonders though.

In the begininng stretching is SUPER important. I should have done more.

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

caught a helmet to the knee freshmen year and dislocated my knee cap. Knee cap was literally on the side of my knee. Team doctors had me doing light band extensions, which futher set me back (read: always get a second opinion).

finally made it back after 4 months of rehab and have PR'd my squat thru proper training since

8. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Maine: in another thread you talked about how box squats actually make your knee feel more stable?

It's been 4 months since my surgery, and I've got the ROM to do a box squat. I do have 3 pins in there though, and the tracking that the actual kneecap goes through when you straighten and and bend your knee is actually on a different plane now though. I tried doing some box squat work with like the bar, and then did 85 pounds. It felt shaky on the 85 pound version, but it worked. However, I limped around for a couple days after that...

I guess I'm just havin a hard time figuring out if that soreness and stiffness that comes with working them is good or bad. Nothing from PT caused that kind of result, but PT is more to get you moving, not to get you 100% strong again.

Shrug. I'm not even sure what to ask, or who to ask it to.

9. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

ACL and Meniscus about 5 years ago, Meniscus again about 1.5 years ago. Hence why I'm JUST starting to get back into training and working out consistently.
    All in all, my left knee is pretty messed up. Much like the thread starter, I'd LOVE to get this book, but I can't justify dropping $100 (probably closer 200 after shipping duty and exchange for me) for a book right now :hs:

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

lateral dislocation of my kneecap. In a leg brace for about 4 months, on crutches for about 3. Knee was immobilized for the first 3 months, and then I slowly added in some movement in, 5 degrees at a time. Then I started with some squats in a pool, then to treading water, regular lap swimming and weights.

11. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

PCL recon 11 weeks ago... just PR'd on squats 495 lbs!!!

jk... doc said i can do 1/4 squats but thinking i shd wait to month 3 or 4 after reading ur posts...

12. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

I have a very small (partial tear of my ACL) and a sprained MCL while playing football last weekend. Unfortunately I can't work out at the level I was before. No leg workouts and any upper body workout I am using the rehab weights (aka: the weights with pins and plates where you sit.).

Right now I am wearing a leg brace, taking anti-inflamitories, and will start rehab soon.

13. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

Can yall explain how you hurt your knees like maine.

14. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

Fat kid fell on me. Seriously.

I was kneeling down, tying my shoe up and he came running behind me, tripped/slipped and fell on the lower half of my left leg, which was extended out behind me, flat on the ground. From my foot to my knee rotated 90 degree's, until it touched the ground, and my knee/thigh didn't move at all.

Second time I was squatting down, taking a break between rounds, and when I squatted I felt my knee pop over a bit, like it did every time i bent it completely. But when I stood up, it didn't pop back like it usually does, so as it straightened, nothing was aligned properly, ripped, and locked like that.

15. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

Im just hoping squatting wont fuck up my knees.

16. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Well I had a chronically dislocating kneecap due to an alignment issue. The tendons that guide your kneecap as you extend and bend your knee actually pulled it out to the side every once in a while when I'd be running, cutting, etc.

The time that set me over the edge, and where I decided to get this fixed once and for all was when I was warming up for a heavy squat day. I was on the leg extension machine warming up my quads, and got to 2 plate per leg, single leg extensions. On the way up on my bad leg, I heard a pop, knew exactly what I did.. and more than it hurt, I was just mad. I knew what happened because it had happened like 4 times previously, so instead of limping home and dealing with it. I decided to do one last heavy lift before the inevitable healing/rehab time would come, and I went to the back powerlifting room to do some heavy concentric GM's.

Distol Realignment was my surgery - doctor said my bones and tissue around the area was so strong, he had to use an extra screw.

Did standard PT starting about 5-6 weeks out, and just stopped last week. I have near full ROM, but my right quad is still far behind.

Sorry for the people who have read this story multiple times - just putting it out there for those that haven't.

What I'm thinking for getting back in the weight game looks something like this.

2-3 weeks of pure cardio on things like uphill walking on a treadmill, rowing machines, bike.

Band TKE work ASAP.

I will use stair climbing at my apartment as a guide as to when it feels stable. It still feels weird climbing stairs, so I know bodyweight stuff is still challenging enough to not warrant any weighted work.

Once that feels right, I think I will start doing box squats and step ups at a very low weight, and ease into the real lifting.

I don't know if this is a good plan or not, but it's all I've got.

17. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

send in the questions to elite

18. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

19. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I did once, the question was ignored :hs:

20. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

just address it to one of the guys in the rehab section. can't hurt to try again

21. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

22. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

That doesn't make them useless.

23. Memor

Memor Active Member

Had arthroscopic (sp?) surgery on my lateral meniscus in the right knee - tore it skiing, was misdiagnosed then hurt it hard again playing soccer until I was properly diagnosed. ACL and MCL were both beaten up too but nothing for surgery involvement, just healing on their own.

They thought it was going to be a reconstructive procedure (i.e. two slits on each side of the kneecap, and a huge one down the middle) but once they got in there with cameras, they were able to cut out the torn/ripped part of my meniscus and leave it at that.

From what I remember of PT, the first summer I'd do a ton of stretching, a few very basic balance and leg machine weight exercises with super low weight as the weeks progressed, lots of foam rolling, and some kind of electroshock things they hooked to my knees at the end of each session. Went back the second summer and had an awesome PT (who was also one of the hottest women I've ever seen) who, I don't remember what she did differently, but after 8 weeks with her I haven't had problems since.

I wasn't weight training back then, so I don't know about transition. I went back to playing soccer, little by little, and now it's 100% fine for the past 2 years or so. GL on your recovery dude

24. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

i love that electrical stim thing with ice... plus when they massage the scars... :naughty:

25. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

shit dude.

the scar massaging was so painful for me... evidently i had alot of scar tissue underneath because the incision where they did the surgery did not heal correctly the first time, and they had to do what was essentially the same process as they do to burn victims, where they scrub the open wound with a sandpaper like sponge to take off the necrosis infected skin, then cut the loose ends and let it regrow... over and over until it comes back right.

ugh, im about to puke just thinking about how gross/painful it was

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.