To Make Or To Buy? That is the question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thesuperlurker, Mar 2, 2003.

1. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Well my old video card burned out so i decided it was just time to get a new computer. Now I am faced with the important question of to make or to buy. I am currently happy with my mouse, keyboard, monitor, sound card, speakers, and cd drive. This makes it difficult to choose what to do. I'm watching dell just in case they have a good deal come out because my monitor could use upgrading and they are giving out free ones sometimes. I want a computer I can play most games on, it doesnt have to be the best graphics the games have to offer. I'm looking to spend I hope less than $600 to do this but can go over.

As for what I had in mind to make I thought of the following so far (keep in mind i have little practical knowledge and will rely on help from friends family to put together so im not sure if these choices are good.)

CPU: AMD XP 2200 $117 (w/ retail heatsink and fan)

Motherboard: ECS L7TAVIA KT400 $78.00 (I know nothing about motherboards but this has agp8x)

Video Card: Radeon 9500 128mb $156

Case: Lite-on Model#7615 (silver) 400 w $53.00

HD: Dont know yet probably 40 gig

RAM: I dont know what to match with mb advice?

Now i got these prices from newegg except for the radeon which i took the price form pricewatch. Basicly I'm trying to make a system based on the xp2200 and the radeon 9500. The other stuff i just dont know what to do.

So any input on my system is appreciated. Also any input on buying a complete system would be good too. I know theres other threads but they all have bigger budgets than me or go the Pentium rout. So any help is really appreciated. Sorry so long and remember i want to stay as close to $600 as possible (though now i realize its goin over that just with my planned system)

THANKS AGAIN

2. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

I'd find a different mobo, preferably an Abit or a budget Asus. And get at least 256 MB of DDR PC2700, or whatever the highest the motherboard supports is, and get more ram if you can afford it, but 256 is the bare minimum.

Other than that, it looks good. :)

3. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

What other costs am i looking at for instance:

i was looking on pricewatch and theres like cpu shims and some grease stuff. I dont know what this stuff does, i'll have to ask my friends but what costs are associated with all the accesories needed with a new case, motherboard, accesories, etc.?

Also when looking at motherboards, not many cheap ones support 8xagp. Can i get a 4xagp with the 9500 radeon and if so how much would it limit the graphics card.

Thanks again for the replies.

4. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

4xAGP wouldn't limit anything, 8x will only get you maybe 4 fps. if you arent going to overclock dont worry about cpu shims and what not. im not sure what you are talking about with the accessories needed, could you please elaborate?