MIL To Do...or not to do....v.RangerSchool

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Noah, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

Found out that I've been branched Infantry after my OCS Graduation and day after yesterday we had a meeting in which they informed those who branched Infantry that "Ranger School/training is not required, but is helpful to have."

Still intent on doing Airborne Training, Level 1 MAC, Sniper Position Training, among some others...though I haven't decided if I want (or have it in me) to attend Ranger Training.

Any Rangers here?? What was training like? Thoughts? Impressions? Worth it?? Any info is helpful info!

:wavey: OT

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Do. It's better to try and fail than never have tried at all.

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

man you get a lot of internet time at OCS or am I mistaken?

im not army but I would say there is something to walking into a new unit as a 2nd LT with a ranger patch on your arm.

4. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

Exactly. If you don't attempt it, you'll always wonder what could have been.

5. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

You will go to Ranger School...there's pretty much no ifs ands or buts about it. Talk to some of your compiso's who have recently attended Infantry OBC and they'll let you know what the peer pressure of attending is.

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Prepare to suck and lose a bunch of weight. Hopefully enlisted guys will help you out when you can't landnav.

7. Noah

Yeah...we scored another weekend pass this weekend as well. Shucks. Packed my Ruck with items for Land Nav and I'm ready to go. Just killing time before chow now. Weeeeeeeee

Yeah...OCS is good!

As for the Enlisted Guys helping with Land Nav...yes they have been! Even then it's a self-correcting course now. The GL is posted on ALL the points you need to find ;)

:wiggle:

8. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

:rofl:

9. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

I'd go to ranger school. A lot of the 2nd LTs that I seen in the Infantry branch had ranger tabs. You wouldn't want to be the only person without one.

10. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

It's pretty much required that the you go to Ranger school if you are branched Infantry these days. If you don't go you will not get rank and pretty much sit behind a desk until your contract runs out.

Back in the day you could squeeze through the cracks and not go but the Army is changing and since all Officers are Infantry-men Primary and there Branch is secondary. Infantry Officers are expected to have more training than the average Combat Support Officer.

You will hardly ever see a new Infantry 2Lt without a Ranger Tab these days.

11. eter

eter New Member

I had heard the attrition rate on the course was pretty phenomenal ... how do almost all of them get out of it? or was what I heard just mistaken...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  12. Noah

Darby is a VERY challenging course. Then there are the guys who are sent their by their unit and fail the PT test on day one just to go back thereby taking up one slot that someone else could have filled.

Oh well...I'll have plenty of time to think about this over the next few days in the field. iPod packed and ready ;)

Land Nav here we come!!

13. eter

eter New Member

dont forget to keep your compass away from your rifle :mamoru2:

14. shiba

shiba Active Member

anyone know that webpage from that ranger who went through the school and managed to dictate each and every day's activities?

15. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

The Army isn't going to branch a Candidate/Cadet Infantry unless they are squared away. Excellent PT scores, land nav, STX, and Patrolling.

The people that get sent home from Ranger School are people that just weren't meant to be there in the first place but there unit got some slots, so they had to send somebody. The rest of the people get voted off the island sorta speak and are just total blue falcons.

If an Officer blue falcons everyone then they probably won't be able to lead troops to begin with and therefore they get sent home from Ranger School through peer evaluations and they won't make rank.

Ranger School is a "requirement" for Infantry Officers.

Don't go or don't complete and you'll be an assistant on staff until your contract runs out.

16. MrRyan

A lot of what you just mentioned in this post is incredibly incorrect. I'm sorry...I'm not sure I recognize you as a regular poster...What's your rank / Military Experience again?

17. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

from what i hear, you have to sign a counseling statement at benning saying that you refuse to go to ranger school, and they make you stand on the old mans rug to change your mind.
    I've heard stories of Infantry guys not making it past Cpt because they didn't have a tab, and they will keep trying to send you even as a captain so that your career doesnt tank.

18. MrRyan

This may be true.

Absolutely untrue that you cannot make it past Captain if you are not Ranger Qualified. There is a benefit to being qualified when you are dealing unofficially with your fellow officers but ultimately each person is judged on their merits and performance not on a freaking badge. If someone judges you solely on a badge, they're more guilty of shitty decision making than anyone without a stinking badge could be assumed to make. At the end of a day, a badge does not make a great leader, it might assist you but the lack of won't stop you from being one. Only you can do that to yourself.

Page 68 - "On Killing" by LTC Grossman (Ret)

"It is worth noting that my experiences as a platoon leader convinced me absolutely of the value of Ranger training. While I didn't have occasion to use all of the techniques and sckills I was taught, I did use many. More important was the knowledge I had gained of myself in Fort Benning, and in the north Georgia mountains and in the Florida swamps; the understanding that limits are mostly in the mind and can be overcome; the knowledge that I could keep going and be an effective leader in spite of fear, fatigue, and hunger." - LTC Bob Harris

19. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

Ranger school is not a "requirement" but it will severely limit your career prospects as an Infantry officer.

Please tell me what is incorrect.

20. MrRyan

This part:

and now this part:

21. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

:werd: It's an 'unspoken' must have for Infantry Officers. Infantry Officers who have any plans to excel and make it a career, that is.

22. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

I mean, its not like i havent heard of O-3 and above infantry guys that arent tabbed out, iv seen a few, but they are a rare breed. And I hear about that unspoken career limiter of not having a tab in the infantry.
    Not that I care, infantry is like my 5th or 6th choice.
    I have MI branch detail FA as my first, EN as 2nd, and FA and Armor as my next 2. MP is 7th I think.
    Any of those 7 will make me happy :coold:

23. burton564

burton564 New Member

stupid cadets....aviation is the only way to go

24. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

fixed :bigthumb:

25. burton564

burton564 New Member

yeah i agree, but flying is flying no matter how you look at it