To buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tonpu, Aug 9, 2006.

1. tonpu

tonpu OT Supporter

I have been itching for a new toy to play with for a while. Right now i have a 2 yr old workhorse (ibm t42) that has not given me any problems. But it is getting pretty old and a new laptop would be great because i will be transfering schools this fall.

I have been looking at the 15 inch mbp for a while and im wondering if the recent mbp's still have heat/whine issues that plague the release versions. I use my laptop pretty much anywhere i go and dont always have a flat surface to put it on.

Questions...

Anyone have first hand experience with NEW like purchased within july/aug mbp's?

Should a couple months for the memroms to be released?

Mac Noob question

what can the touchpad do that other touchpads cant? I am quite fond of the ibm trackpoint ( clit/nub/eraserhead ). Please explain what shortcuts there are if there are any that differ from regular pc touchpads.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

touchpads - you can set it up in a variety of ways. mines set up so that if you drag two fingers down it scrolls down, two fingers from left to right or right to left and it scrolls sideways, and if you tap with two fingers that is a "right" click. its pretty neat!

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Two gripes I have:

1) It gets quite warm
    2) Some major aps like Office and the Adobe/macromedia Suites are still not universal and run incredibly slow.

Other then that, it's awesome. Best screen I have ever seen on a portable, hands down. Built in iSight is great for long distance convos with family. It's small, sleek and stylish. Most native tasks and apps are incredibly fast.

The trackpad is pretty innovative. It is customizeable. The fact that you can place two fingers and essentially grab the document contents and scroll in any direction is worth it alone. The one button thing is still quite annoying but I have mine set up that a single click activates the standard left click and two fingers on the pad while clicking with your thumb activates right click. You can set it up a number of different ways, but the best bet is to just visit Apple's website. There are too many features to list here. It is far from being "just another portable."

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I just switched this spring, and I have never been this happy with a machine and an OS. I love it. This is my first laptop without the nubbin, but after a couple of weeks, I am totally used to the trackpad and I feel like I have better control than I did with the nubbin.

5. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I noticed my mbp does get pretty hott especialy up by the top of the keayboard shit is like scalding, but other than that it seems pretty solid so far. And I prefer to use a mouse wth my lappy, It's way faster than the trackpad.

6. tonpu

tonpu OT Supporter

how warm is quite warm ? warm enough to be uncomfortable while its on your lap ?

About M$ Office, i frequently use ms word, excel, outlook. is it still usuable enough to be productive? Say if i run ms word and excel at the same time and try to browse and chat would the "lag" effect the computer as a whole ?

7. Kid A

Kid A '06 UK Crew

I cant say I've noticed on my iMac and that's slightly slower than the MBP :dunno: It wouldn't get to the point where the lag would really piss you off especially as your browser and chat barely use any power up and would be most likely to be native anyways.

8. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Office isn't as processor hungry as the Adobe suite. There is no outlook. There is entourage and it sucks. Transfering your emails from Outlook to Apple Mail won't happen. You'll pretty much have to forward all your emails to your account after the account is set up with Mail.

And yes, there are times when it is uncomfortable to lay the notebook on my lap. Apple actually advises against it. I use a pillow when it gets too warm.

9. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

My MacBook is not pleasant directly on the lap. I have some big pillows on my couch I always keep between me and the computer.

Unfortunately I can't speak for Office because I don't know what I did with my fucking product key for it so I can't install it on my MB. I'm running NeoOffice which is based on the OpenOffice standard, is Aqua compliant (no X11 unlike Open Office) and is a Universal Binary. So far I've had no complaints about NeoOffice.