To anyone who knows about Skylines, or better yet, OWNS one

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by CrazyMook, Jan 23, 2003.

1. CrazyMook

CrazyMook OT Supporter

Ok. I posted this in a skyline forum but after 40 reads, no one has responded, so i thought i'd give it a try here. Not sure if anyone can actually help w/ my questions, but here is an exact copy of what i posted. If anyone can help out at all, that would be just super :bigthumb:

"Hello all. As you can tell from the subject of this post, i am indeed from the good ol USA. So you may ask yourself, what am i doing on a "downunder" Skyline board. Well, i've been an avid skyline fan for quite awhile now and it is my main goal in life to own one of these awesome machines. My goal however, is very much hindered by the fact that Skylines are not sold here unless i want to pay upwards of 40k to close to 100k to have Motorex import one and legalize it for me In any event tho...i've been looking on ebay lately and have noticed that many people are selling skylines here in the states and i have really begun to look into ways to owning my dream. Another problem i have is that i'm only 20 and a car like a skyline could turn out to be a big hole in my pocket. Finding the car on ebay isnt a big deal, hell, shipping it here isnt all that hard either...its legalizing the car thats gonna hurt me. Its gonna cost anywhere from 6k to 10k to have the car "americanized" (or so i've found so far), as i like to call it (front bumper support, rear bumper supports, new glass, etc etc (not quite sure what Illinois requires)). So my main questions for you guys are as follows:
    1. How old are most of you guys that own skylines here?
    2. I was looking at possibly getting an R32 GTS-T type M in the future but I really want a gtr. Is it worth getting the type m then throwing in RB26DETT ( i believe thats the gtr engine, right?) at a later date? Cause i can find those on ebay at various times for as low as 1500 bucks (american mind you).
    3. R34's are out of the question, but between the R32 and 33, which is better, and why.
    4. Just out of curiousity (i'm sure i could do a search) but what does at R32 GTS-T run in the 1/4 mile?
    5. Is owning one of these cars as awesome as i dream it to be?

In any event, i'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out here b/c like i said earlier, my dream and goal in life is to own one of these cars...w/in 2 years hopefully, and i figure i may as well start my knowledge here w/ you guys so when i DO get my car, i'll be all set to give her a good home. Thanx in advance for any help you guys can give.

Mike"

So there you go.. have a feel day w/ it.

2. Playboy

Playboy Part time arrogant bastard

ibNIGHTMARE!

I'll answer after he does :)

3. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Ravens >*

1. I was 23 when I bought my GTR from Motorex. I'll be 26 in June
    2. No, you can have almost as much fun with the RB20DET. More then enough guys have run high 9's low 10's with the right parts.
    3. I chose a R32 94 for a few reasons. 1, and most importantly, its the lightest and fastest of the 3. 2, It is going to be the closest thing to a Rx7 R1 as far as handling goes..if not better. 3, In person, a R32 done right will look 3 times meaner then any R33 IMO.
    4. R32 GTSt's are rated 215hp and run mid to low 15's. If you dont already know there is a GTS-4 model that uses the same GTR 4wd system.
    5. Yes.

4. CrazyMook

CrazyMook OT Supporter

Wow, that was a very quick response. I very much appreciate the answer Nightmare, i'll have to come to you if i have anymore questions..oh, how much did the r32 cost? Thanx again :bowdown:

5. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

1. Don't own one. I've just done a lot of research on Skylines and participated in in several Skyline forums.
    2. It depends. If you think you can get a GTS-T then swap in an RB26DETT, and voila!-instant GT-R, you have another thing coming. The rest of GT-R's running gear is unique to it as well. All you'll have is a GTS-T with a GT-R engine.:dunno:
    3. Depends on what you're looking for. It's been said that the R32 is the "Racer's Skyline." This is because it is lighter. The R33 however, is more of a cruiser. Not to say it isn't fast, but the R33 does have more luxury features and added weight.
    4. I dunno. Maybe high 13s, low 14s?
    5. Again, it depends. If you're willing to deal with rhd, waiting for parts, having to go to a specialty mechanic to get work done, etc, go for it. If you do, the exclusivity, performance and style will make you glad you got one.

6. CrazyMook

CrazyMook OT Supporter

Ultimately what it comes down to in the end is that i will own one of these cars one way or another...i just hope i can find the funds to support this...hehe...thanx for the answers..keep your opinions coming.

EDIT: OH, and i realize dropping a gtr engine into a gts wont make it a gtr, i was just asking if the swap is worth it or not. I understand that the gtr has a lot of different things about it (tranny ,suspension, all that stuff)

7. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

I own skylines all the time :fawk:

8. CrazyMook

CrazyMook OT Supporter

Now...you use the term "own"...do you mean like own as in "i own a skyline" or as in "my (put name of car here) i owned a skyline in a race today" just want to clear that up :bigthumb:

9. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

FYI -- AJC13B has a tricked out first generation RX-7 running a 13B-RE. The 13B-RE is the two rotor engine that went in the Cosmo... and it had the largest ports of any production rotary engine that Mazda has ever put in a production car.

If that weren't enough, the engine is modified to Hell and back and if I'm not mistaken he's still the 1/4 mile champion of OT. 9's, I believe, still street driven (last I heard).

So I'm almost positive that what he meant by "own".... is that there's a few disappointed Nissan owners in the land down under. :big grin:

AJC, please correct me if any of my info is incorrect. :)

Also, CrazyMook... please do me a favor and post whatever info you find concerning the legalization process of these cars. I've got money to blow and I would like an R32, but there's no way in Hell that I'm going to drop the dime Motorex wants me to pull out of my pocket.

10. CrazyMook

CrazyMook OT Supporter

Agreed, Motorex really rapes you in the ass, lousy assholes :mad: I'll keep ya updated on what i find :bigthumb:

11. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

YOu had is all right except the 1/4 time is 10.32 @ 133 :big grin:

12. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

hey crazymook, how bout you get a job first. maybe that will help your skyline problem.

13. turbodiamonds95

turbodiamonds95 tapout,chokeout or knockout

motorex is super high on prices cause they have the market cornered.until someone else comes out and can do the same thing that they do there prices are gonna be sky high

14. CrazyMook

CrazyMook OT Supporter

hey DAVE, why dont you suck my ass and stop coming over to my house :fawk:

15. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Only 10's? You whore, get to work and fix that! :fawk:

16. deeznutz206

deeznutz206 OT Supporter

Bullshit!!! No one on OT owns a Skyline.
    More than anyone on here can afford pal.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  17. Red97GST

Red97GST Guest

atleast 2-3 people :dunno:

18. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I'd like to be one of them, but I'm not paying MotoRape prices.

If I can get one in the U.S., and legally on the road for $25k or less, I'd have one.

Preferably left hand drive, but I could deal with right hand drive... that and the right hand drive thing would just be another neato gimick for people who don't know what the car is to wonder about.

19. deeznutz206

deeznutz206 OT Supporter

Bullshit again!! Unless I see penny pics, no one on OT
    has one! :slap:

20. Goldberg

Goldberg Guest

@#%()@#%#%)

not EVERYONE is from USA on this forum you Q@#%*()@#%*()%@#*()!@#%

i could run down the road and buy an r32 GXi skyline which has an CA18i in it which produces an AMAZING 91PS @ 5200rpm, OH MY GOD NOTHING CAN BEAT THE SKYLINE

you realise a skyline isn't JUST a GTR, and skylines are VERY affordable in anything but USA #1 USA #1 USA #1 USA #1

and how the hell is new zealand/australia meant to get pennys ?!

21. Goldberg

Goldberg Guest

did i mention it would cost next to nothing aswell?

do some research on skylines first before you think they're the best car imaginable

22. Goldberg

Goldberg Guest

third pointless post but i might aswell answer the questions

1. people that own skylines in nz range from 16 years old to 50 years old
    2. no.
    3. r32 for speed, r33 for legroom in the back
    4. standard an 32 gts-t would run 15s
    5. no

23. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Um... calm down. I'm fairly certain deeznuts was joking, if I remember correctly he owns a Skyline.

Good for you, be happy in your land of cheap Skylines. For most of the people in the U.S. who buy one they don't mind paying the extra. Because that bit extra means they've got an extremely rare, very capable car that anybody who knows what it is will drool over.

Hell, I could buy a Mustang GT, ship it over to Kuwait, and sell it for $40k and the person buying it will think he got a good deal on it. yeehaw

Shit... I've got some extra cash, maybe I'll do that and see if it actually works. $13k profit off the top of a brand new car. :)

24. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

Want to buy me a gearbox everytime I race?? :fawk:

Oh, and a fresh engine?? :big grin: :big grin:

25. Leewah

Leewah Guest

I own one!! Check it out at My GTR