To anyone who has the HP 6940 Deskjet Printer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 91RS, Aug 31, 2006.

1. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

I need a new printer since the heads on my Canon crapped out and I'd rather get a new printer than pay the same price for new heads. I saw this printer and really liked it, the only thing I'm not sure about on it is the cost of ink. The cartridges are $30-$35! My question is, are they worth it? Do they last? These cartridges cost as much as my old Deskjet 952C! The features have me wanting this printer, but like I said it's the ink I'm worried about.

2. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Get the 6980. Its only like $15 more and its wireless. Ink might be slightly cheaper, depending on where you shop.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Canon printers have individually-replaceable color cartridges; HP printers don't. If you really don't want another Canon, take a look at what Epson has to offer -- they too have individual color cartridges.

4. 91RS

Not all Canon's have that, the one I have now just has the two cartridges. I did look at Epson, but they're all photo printers. I was looking at the Canon iP4200, but after reading reviews that won't be the right printer. If it thinks one cartridge is low (whether it is or not) it won't print ANYTHING and one or two people complained of the heads getting clogged within the first year and that is used a lot of ink.

I was looking at the 6980, but in all the stores I looked at it was at least $170 and I found a deal on the 6940 (got it for $83 brand new) and it's the same thing but without BT so I jumped on it. Even though I already bought it, I'd still like to hear from people who have it or the 6980 about the ink usage. I could still sell it on eBay and make my money back.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you're really concerned about the cost of ink, don't buy an inkjet.

6. deusexaethera

Color laser might last longer, but the toner costs $100 per color. Money spent now vs. money spent later.

Yeah, I guess the cheap Canon's have a combined 3-color tank, but the better models with the individual tanks are not so much more expensive as to be worth cheaping-out.

7. 91RS

It's not just the cost, it's cost with how long it lasts. The printer I have now has cheap cartridges, but I'm replacing them all the fricken time.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

They last a lot longer so the cost per page is lower. And the laser toner doesn't dry out and clog the heads like inkjets do. Injects fuck you two ways: Use them a lot and they cost you a fortune in ink. Use they infrequently and the heads dry up and cost you a fortune. At least with HP inkjets, you're replacing the heads every time you get new ink. Most others just get worse and worse until you have to buy a new printer because they're not replaceable.

9. deusexaethera

I agree with everything you said. Still, I've never seen a color laser printer that could crank out an 8x10 photo that looked half as good as what a photo inkjet could do. And I'm pretty sure I recommended NOT getting another HP inkjet, specifically because of their shitty ink management.

10. Schproda

Schproda New Member

The consumer brand lasers aren't that good. Most color prints that are sent to a color laserjet printer are done after the colors are calibrated between the computer and printer. It usually takes that to get a good laser print.