GUN to all those who keep saying that .40 S&W +P doesn't exist

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by footratfunkface, Jan 16, 2003.

1. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

2. footratfunkface

3. footratfunkface

the rounds are loaded with speer bullets. they are not speer made rounds. i also found a pdf of a gigantic list of .40 s&w loads used in the IPSC. you'll find among them two loads in +P. one 165 gr., and one 180 gr. SAAMI specs state what american made firearms must be capable of withstanding. any +P load is higher than SAAMI specs. +P+ is 20% higher. i do agree that loading a .40 any higher than normal is hard, and can be dangerous. but, it's not impossible, and it's not unheard of.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/documents/hl40sw.pdf

4. phil1

phil1 Guest

I was going to get in on this debate yesterday as someone replied to my other thread about 40 S&W not being offered in +p but I was to busy at work. That was going to be my reply about GA-Arms. I buy all of my ammo from them. I can't tell you how many people from across the country order their products. They are top notch and have very good ratings from everyone I have ever known. I buy their Sheer Power Plus in 9MM +P 124 grain which is loaded with a Gold Dot round. I have also learned they have a smaller muzzle flash than the Speer Gold Dots. This could be beneficial for that moment in the night we all hope to not have. I use their 124gr in reloads for plinking. They have excellent deals on Canned Heat.

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Ammunition loaded beyond SAAMI specifications is dangerous. It doesn't mean it isn't advertised or doesn't exist.

The designation "+P+" means the round is loaded to pressure beyond any SAAMI certification or test.

What's more, according to their stated velocity for a 155gr round, they're putting about the same energy, or even less, on target as a "standard" 165gr .40

So what's the point? :dunno: Always heard good things about GA..surprised they'd be hawking something like that.

6. footratfunkface

no, i completely understand. but you can't deny that people make +P rounds for .40 s&w. like i said, i don't think it's too smart, but it's still done, no matter what the article says.