GUN TN Firearm Safety Class results + new gadget *PICS*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SkyLeach, Oct 15, 2005.

1. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Ok, so as I said I would, I went to the TN Handgun safety class required to get a TN carry permit. Passed the class with 100% (0 missed on test, 0 missed on target, all q/a ok)... right... no brainer.

Really, it is a simple course, but the officers taking the class with me didn't do so well so :dunno:

At any rate, the only things worth posting about is my new gadgets and my range score, which I am quite proud of.

The new gadgets are the SSI Micro Hearing Enhancement and Protection... hearing aids? Ear plugs? Both!?. That's right, these things enhance all sound except those over 85 Db, at which point they cancel out all sound. I've shot with earplugs, earbuds and earmuffs and these things block at least as much sound, but at the same time I could hear the two FBI guys talking in low voices from their cars while I was in the range! (about 50yd away). Admittedly I had to turn towards them with one ear, but that was all it took. It was like having one of those little kid private eye long range microphones!. Really cool gadget for shooting.

Pics of those:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then, my range target for the day. The course was 12x5yd, 18x10yd, 18x15yd and then 25yrd (optional, 2 clips if yo do it).
    Count up the holes you can see if you doubt, but I grouped the 5yd in the center making only 1 large hole, widened the same hole with 2 rounds making distict separate holes at the 10yd, popped the first 10 rounds into the brestplate region on the 15yd and then was asked by the instructer to continue aiming at the center (... why? cound't tell if I hit or not anymore most of the time). For the 25yd I loaded up 20 rounds and then just had fun shooting as fast as I could go with reasonable accuracy. I think it was 18 secs from start to end, and to my amazement I didn't get outside the 9 and was very strictly patterened in a vertical bar the whole time. I feel good.

[​IMG]

2. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

:werd: Nice shooting btw.

3. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

I got 'em at wally world but the box has http://www.ssi-online.com

4. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

tx. With 4 kids if I ever (God forbid) have to draw on someone I want to be damned sure that all my lead stays with the dead and none go flying around to kill any o' mah little dawlins.

5. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

why does it say not to be used as a noise supresion device? is that just them covering their asses or?

6. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

You looking at the same gear? My packaging and instructions say no such thing. The only thing it says is that they aren't waterproof and adjust the volume gradually to avoid them being too lound when you are listening to people. Oh, and that they aren't a medical device :mamoru:

7. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

8. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

There are some differences. Mine are HA-O4B and labeled specifically as "Hearing Enhancement and Protection" so perhaps that B series is different or perhaps it's to cover their asses.

EDIT: just triple-checked the packaging and usage insert and there is no place where it gives that warning. Perhaps they have just not updated their website with this newest product offering.

9. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

28.76. They were in sporting goods right next to all the other ear protection.

10. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I took the CCP class in Springfield, had a good time, now I carry legal so congrats! Did you get the book that tells about the states laws and what not?

11. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

I didn't get a book, but I have been all over the TN gov website to read all the laws.

12. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

maybe you an answer this for me then. since i live right on the tennessee georgia line, if i get my permit in tennessee can it carry over the 2 miles into georgia?

14. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Short answer: yes. This is true for nearly all Southern/midwest states:

Handgun Reciprocity Information
    TENNESSEE'S RECOGNITION OF OUT-OF-STATE
    HANDGUN CARRY PERMITS AND
    RECIPROCITY INFORMATION

Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms, and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.
    The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in Tennessee.
    Tennessee will enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of such agreements.
    If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. Such person will be processed as a renewal applicant if the eligibility requirements of the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee.
    A person who is employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months is required to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit within six (6) months from the last day of the sixth month of regular employment in Tennessee. A Tennessee handgun carry permit will be issued in this situation only if the other state has eligibility requirements that are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee. If the eligibility requirements from the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee, Tennessee may issue a Tennessee permit to the person employed in this state under the renewal provisions of Tennessee law.
    The above number 5 will not apply if the state of residence of the person employed in Tennessee has entered into a reciprocity agreement with Tennessee.

Tennessee recognizes all facially valid handgun permits, firearms permits, weapons permits, or licenses issued by another state according to its terms and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun in Tennessee. The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in this state.

STATES WITH RECIPROCITY AGREEMENTS
    Arkansas
    Florida
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    Ohio
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Texas
    Virginia
    Wyoming
    The above states are the only ones that have signed a formal agreement with the State of Tennessee.
    (Note: Persons with a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry permit should contact any state for information on carrying such handgun prior to entering the state.)
    STATES WHO DO NOT WISH TO ENTER INTO RECIPROCITY AGREEMENTS
    Alabama
    Arizona
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Maryland