Tl1000r???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by svtjesse, Aug 13, 2002.

1. svtjesse

svtjesse Guest

Well I am getting a '98 TL1000R, its going to be my first street bike, I have been Riding since I was 7(ATV's and Dirtbikes), just want to know what you guys think about this bike??

Jesse

2. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Nice bike, be careful. :)

3. DuffMan

DuffMan Guest

That and the Super Hawk were my only choices (can't afford RC51). I decided on the Super Hawk because I liked the looks a little better.

Great choice, you'll have a lot of fun. :)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

bad idea for a first streetbike.

welcome to the darkside (until the engine braking owns you anyway)

5. svtjesse

svtjesse Guest

Thats is what everyone I talk to says, why is that, I mean I know how dangerous Streetbikes are, but to say that just street bikes are more dangerous than regular bike, I dont see that it is the bike, its the Rider. I personly think that if the rider has enough self control to keep off the throttle untill he feels he is in control of the bike it should not matter what bike he has.

Also I picked the Tiller cause of the torquey Vtwin, Im a big boy and need that tq, I rode a gixxer 750 the other day, and it felt like a lawn tractor untill about 6K, then it came alive, thats not what I want, I dont want to ride around at 6K just to go somewhere I want to be able to enjoy myself.

Anyhow, Aprilla, let me know what you think would be a good bike??

Jesse

6. car54

car54 Guest

apparently you know how to ride dirtbikes and atv's already so youll be fine. just dont twist the wrist too much. personally I think its the best vtwin out there for the cost. I'm getting an excellent deal on my 2002.

7. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

You need to know that bike inside and out in order to ride safely. That means that you need to know how the bike is going to respond when you open the throttle just in case you get in an emergency situation. What do you think is going to happen if you look in your mirror and see a cage that's not going to stop with you sitting at a stoplight? You're going to need to know how to power away as fast as possible without looping it.

Simply staying off the throttle just because you're a new street rider is a bad idea. What you need to do is know when and where you can twist the throttle back safely, and don't do it in places where it's obviously a bad idea.

If you have a drag strip near you I strongly recommend you go out and make a few passes. That won't give you any indication of how the bike handles, but it will give you a feel for what the throttle feels like.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

it's a combination of things.. mostly handling, it's not a terribly forgiving bike, coupled with a a big twin. Say, mid corner you come in a little too hot, so you chop the throttle, there's enough engine braking to write a check the tires can't cash and get you in trouble. I have not ridden a TLR, so I dunno how snatchy the fuel injection is :dunno: I haven't heard anything bad about it though.
    Not to say smaller bikes won't do it, but a big twin is worse. Throttle control on a big twin is WAY WAY WAY more important, even compared to higher HP inlines. Coming from dirt throttle control shouldn't be a problem, but emergencies, traffic situations etc are all new.. dirt helps, but doesn't really replace street experience IMO.

I've been riding this aprilia twin all summer (coming from an R1) and I still forget throttle control and rack my nuts on the tank regularly :sad2:

9. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ride an '00TLR and love it. I'm a big guy (6'3"-325#) and comfort is not a problem. The twins are a little twitchy in the corners, engine breaking will get ya if you're not careful. Be careful, the torque is awesome. I just had mine dyoned and it made at the wheel, 125 HP & 79# torque. It will take a little getting used to, but after a few hundred miles, you will be grinning from ear to ear.

check the following sites for some great info:
    http://www.voy.com/14718/
    http://209.221.187.20/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Feel free to pm me or e-mail with questions.
    Welcome to the world of V-Twins....

Pete

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

the dirt bike should give you some idea of how touchy a throttle can be assuming it was a 2 cycle if you coem on to the pipe at the wrong time on a dirt bike you will flip it kinda the same thing on the v twin only differnt