Tivo or other DVR

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dj1298, Feb 2, 2004.

1. dj1298

dj1298 New Member

I currently have Direct TV. I want to update to a tivo/dvr. Direct TV has a 35 hour box for $100 with installation. How hard is the install on these? I know the satellite has a dual LNB. One cable to the living room and one to the bedroom. So do I have to upgrade to a 3 LNB piece? Or is there a way to split the cable inside the house? Dirrect TV has a c-sat kit that is free for the asking, so is this what I need?

Also what is the major difference between an intergrated sat receiver with tivo, and a stand alone tivo / dvr? Which is better? Do I have to pay teh Tivo fee?

has anyone built a media center pc to do this? If so what hardware/software did you use? Snapstream looks promising.

Thanks!

DJ1298

2. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry

If you don’t want to mess around with the actual dish you can take the DUAL LNB from the sat, and hook it up to a multiswitch, costs around 30 bucks. You can get ones that do in x out 2x4, or 2x8, I think they might have a 2x6 also. The SAT-C Kit I believe is for Oval dishes, that would like to pick up HDTV, or some crazy NASA channel.... but it does come with a built in multiswitch.

Not much of a difference in how a standalone works and the integrated. You will want to go with the integrated though for a couple reasons. First the DVR fee with DTV is $4.99 a month, compared to the $13 a month for TIVO standalone. Second DTV/DVR box has two tuners so if you run two sat lines to it you can record two shows at once, or watch one and record another, which is very nice.

Can't really comment on the Media center pc, I was looking at that earlier but the cost for components was to much when compared to the cost of the DVR box

3. dj1298

dj1298 New Member

What about this model?Toshiba SD-H400
    DVD/CD player + 80GB
    TiVo Series2 Hard Disk Recorder

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3784466

says that basic tivo service is free. But for the extended service like season ticket, you have to purchase the subscription. But I like the fact that you can network it.

4. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry

That model isn't that bad, it's one of the few units that support the Home Media Option. Just look at this one thing before you buy it though... once you buy it there is more money to spend.

"A USB network adapter is required" so you are going to have to spend and additional $50 or more to get that, and TIVO requires certain brands.
    As for the Networking
    "the Home Media Option adds these features:". That option will set you back $99 as a one time fee.

So you got to spend 550-600 bucks total just to get that working... eh me I wouldn’t spend that much, but that’s cause I am cheap.

As of now sadly you can't use the DTV/DVR boxes with the Home Media Option, I bet at some point if not already someone has already found a way to somewhat do it with telnet or some app as they did with the series 1 boxes. Check this page out for more info http://www.tivocommunity.com

So basically man its up to you at this point,

DTV/DVR Box - Full Guide, two tuners, cheaper total cost. Yet with no networking support (out of box, prob hack it), smaller drive on the direct tv provided box. Can buy others with 80 gig or you can upgrade yourself.

Stand alone TIVO box (Either TIVO brand, or this Toshiba) home networking support and a larger drive. Yet can only record one channel, monthly fee for full functions of tivo.