Tires & Wheels

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scuba, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Scuba

Scuba New Member

What do you guys clean your tires and wheels with to remove the dirt buildup and stuff? I tried some degreaser with paper towels, but it took like 40 paper towels to clean them all. And if I use a towel it stays black even when I throw it in the washer. Same with a brush and sponges. Is there something I can use to wipe them clean better without using too much of something or having it stain black?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Use Westley's Bleche-Wite, then just use old rags to wipe it off with, or even durable paper towels (shop towels).

3. Scuba

Scuba New Member

but i dont wanna use a bunch of towels. it stains my towels, brushes, and i have to use like 40 paper towels if i use them

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I use the blue "shop towels" available at AutoZone, I only have to use 4-5 for all 4 tires. They're heavy duty paper towels. Also, I had another idea. Get some towels, 2-3 of them. Reserve them only for tire use. Wash them each time, and they'll be all set for the next use. Who cares if they're stained if that's all you're using them for?

5. Scuba

Scuba New Member

i guess I could do that.... thanks

6. bmf

bmf Guest

Stay away from Bleche-White. That stuff will turn your tires gray and could stain your rims.

Use Eagle One Tire Cleaner. You can find it at Sears Auto Center (of all places) or order it online. By far the best product to clean tires. Scrub sidewalls with a stiff brush to remove dirt and buildup.

The reason everything turns black is you are using way too much dressing and not cleaning off the old dirty dressing prior to applying another coat. Clean off *all* the old dressing then apply a fresh coat sparingly.

Clean your tires at every wash and you will minimize this problem.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Actually, it doesn't turn your tires gray. I've used it on my personal vehicle, numerous family vehicles and 7 fire trucks for almost 5 years. No complaints.

Why use the Eagle One and have to scrub when you can use Westley's and simply spray on and wipe off?

Scuba, stick with the advice I gave you, you'll be all set. ;)

8. bmf

bmf Guest

OK, then what's in Westley's Bleche-White? Post an MSDS.

I've personally seen it stain clearcoated alloy wheels (and non-clearcoated ones too) and can personally attest to graying sidewalls.

I'm glad it's working for you but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous stuff and cannot cause damage. I'll continue to recommend products that are both effective *and* safe.

9. Squidward

Squidward Guest

I put a couple layers of Zaino on my rims before they went on the car. They have actually stayed pretty farkin clean. I also try to give them a good scrubbin at every car wash (with just soap and water... a different wash mitt... after doing the rest of the car, of course) :)

10. how do i get rid of about 3 years of tire shine/grease/brake dust off my tires/rims.

My mom usually lets me wash her car. but i always put tireshine on (no specific ype in particular, whatever pepboys has.) and as of recently, the whole car has been falling into direpair. but the car is REGULARLY MAINTAINED (washed AT LEAST once a week) but i always have a problem cleaning the tyres/rims. the tires have this layer of grease, i dont know what it is, but NOTHING takes it off, and it is really horrid looking. also the rims are a pain in the ass to clean, is there any thing i can do to make them easier to clean? (theyre polished aluminum and silver paint (all on one rim:squint:))

Heres whet the rims look like, the reason its a pain, is cuz the grease gets into the TINY like "Holes" in the rims, and you have to go thru each hole with a wash clothe. the flat surface of the rim is polished alum, and the inner parts are silver painted
    http://s10.nac.net/albums/album19/Stinkin_Lincoln_4.sized.jpg

Cliffnotes: how do i get 3 yrs worth the dirt/grease off tyres, ive tried everything. and how do i make it easier to clean the rims?

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Cleaning the rims: scrub away at it with some Simple Green. Let some sit on there for awhile too. After you get them clean, be sure to wax them since they're painted. Use some S100 or Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow #26. Waxing them will facilitite easier cleaning down the road.

Tires: Since there's a layer of shit on there, use Westley's Bleche-Wite, all that crap will come right off. If your mom's tires have whitewalls or raised lettering, they'll look especially nice.