Tires for a 1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Pogi, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Pogi

Pogi Official Pointy Boot Guey Ver 1.0

My father has a 1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000 thats his baby. (yes its old and not worth anything, but in great condition)

I wanted to buy him a rear tire for it, the size he told me was "4.50 H 17"

I'm a car guy, so I'm assuming that its 4.50 inch width, H rubber rating, 17" in diameter...

Where online can I find tires for his bike? I checked www.motorcycle-superstore.com and I thought I could just find the size I need and move on...but guess not.

Any help would be great!:bowdown:

2. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

get him a GOOD tire, no cheap stuff...

try denniskirk.com

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If he's running the full dress package, then make sure the tire/tires you get are good name brand ones with the proper weight/load rating for a tourbike. Also if you are going to buy him tires, you should by the set. Nowadays with the tubeless tires, tread and materials are designed as matching sets.
    Dunlops, Bridgestones, Avons.
    I've run the Dunlops on many of my bikes without any problems. Avons are also good brands. Metzlers have had reports about tread problems so I tend to stay away from them.
    http://motorcycletirestore.com/pgroup_descrip/54/10/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D54%26

or give the guys over at www.wingstuff.com a call.
    If he's running spoked wheels though you will need to see about tubes as well.

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

you can run tubes in tubeless tires without an issue, supermoto guys do it all the time.