tires and lift for a tacoma

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by smerkor, Jul 23, 2002.

1. smerkor

smerkor New Member

I have a 2000 4x4 tacoma trd... im about to get new tires,,, and i want to get the biggest possible without rubbing... Also ive been thinking about getting a suspension lift.... any ideas on the best lift out there for the money.... just like 2 inches is all i want... the largest i will go on tires is 32 x11.5,.. also would i have to get new rims or could i use the stock for these

2. prod

prod Guest

well, i opted for the trailmaster 6" suspension, which i regret. the crossmemeber and the such is all good, but i think i've fucked up some things on it. if you're going for a nice small lift, i'd reccomend going with sway-away or i believe downey makes a smaller lift for the tacomas.

whatever you do, i'd reccomend just going with new coilsprings and not adding a new cross-member and all that junk, it's not worth it.

as for tires, i have some nice pro-comp x-terrains, and they rock, i absolutely love them, wheels, you can get a nice cheap pair through american eagle, if you're not worried about money, i'm sure you can find some nice ones on 4wheelparts...

either way, good luck, and post some pics once it's all done!

3. Pospodo

Pospodo came for the pron but stayed for teh lulz

dont they come stock with 31x10.5s? is that not big enough for you? I think for stock, Tacomas look stout

4. prod

prod Guest

yeah they come stock with what you said... with the 6" lift i put, i fit 33x12.5's under there.

5. smerkor

smerkor New Member

i do like the way it looks now,,, but i just wouldnt mind it up a little bit higher... not like crazy high.. just a little, where most people wouldnt even know i raised it

6. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

Fellas, be sure to check out the Tacoma Territory Message Board (www.tacomaterritory.com)

It's awesome...has chapters all over the States too.

If you want to do a small lift (1-2-3") check out CornFed Suspension, the owner is a Tacoma Territory member.

www.cornfedsuspension.com

His name is Dave and he's a cool fella. His product is hella good an we all prefer his spacer front lift / rear add-a-leaf kits over RevTek's, Downeys or All-Pro's kits. Some people buy just the front spacers and then use a shackle in the rear if they want to preserve the stock ride.

Rule of thumb is to have 2" of lift to clear 32"x11.5" tires and 4" of lift to clear 33x12.5" tires. The stock 15x7 rims can handle up to an 11.5" tire width, but any wider than this and you will need to go to an 8" wide rim to be safe.

Tell him a fellow TTORA member sent you.

Good luck!

-Rob

(my Tacoma Territory board name is the same as this one)

7. smerkor

smerkor New Member

LabradorBoy, thanks for all the help.. ill be sure and check that out

8. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

My pleasure man, I'm sure you'll see me there......I'm currently looking for a set of tires in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

See you there :bigthumb:

9. whydah

whydah Guest

unfortunately...
    the wheel wells on a tacoma are so small that a lift doesn't help much. even a 4 inch lift, you still should trim fenders.

no big deal, just trim the plastic and hammer back the metal, no one will see it. much of the metal there isn't structural anyways