SRS Tiredness in School/Life

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Legend Zero, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Hey guys,
    I been banned for a bit due to my stupidity, but i really wanted to get others oppinion on here in the asylum, because i always see some great responses for other people. I've noticed that ever since i started college, my schedual, my stress, and just my overall being has been a bit out of line. I am not exactly sure why, in highschool, i would never procastinate, and now, i procastinate to the very last possible second which really hurts me in subjects that are work-intensive. Btw, i am a freshman, and i also get very tired and sleep through-out the day. Like i need an abnormaly large amount of sleep to be physically fine. Even if i get a good 8-10 hour rest at night, if i don't take a nap, which i use loosly, because it lasts for 2-4 hours at around 2ish, i will feel so weary and tired, that i almost absolutly can't fucntion (just lie in bed watching tv), or will eventually just give in and sleep on most occasions. Even my roomate agrees that i tend to sleep to much, or my shecdual isn't always right, which really kicks down my awareness and wilingness to do work.

I just always also feel distracted alot, which is somewhat of a knew thing. In highschool i used to get distracted while doing work, but i was able to do homework for a hour than be able to surf the web, watch tv for a little, now everytime i do work, after about 20 minutes, i begin to drift up and do something else. Sometimes i even catch myself, just staring at the paper, like not doing anything. IDK, my dad has been in a accident but that was in october, and i do think of it alot, and that is where some stress and drifting thoughts go too, but more than that, it is usually just other random things?

Idk, what do you think the problem is guys? Idk who to talk to, if i shuld talk to the psychologists at my shcool? Talk to my general doctor? what?

thanks to anyone who can offer help..

2. gujuboy21

gujuboy21 New Member

I felt tha same way during my freshman year. Slept an ungodly amount of time, procrastinated and was just lazy all around. I think it is normal to do this. You should try to make plans with friends to do things instead of sleeping throughout the day. Once you stop taking naps during the day time, youll have more energy in general. Do ur work in a different place than where you normally do it, and try to change things around in your life. I stopped studying in my room beacuse taking a nap there is just too easy. Just a suggestions, it worked for me.

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

I think everyone feels some degree of that... if you're learning a lot and your mind is working hard, you tend to need more sleep. However, what you describe sounds excessive. Are you eating properly and regularly? How's your fitness level, and what do you do for physical activity? What about down-time - what are your hobbies? Do you save time for them regularly?

As for getting distracted after 20min - well, you should be taking a break every so often just to clear your mind anyway. If you can't return to your work and focus, though, you might want to try to find out why.

4. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

My hobbies are cars, and i don't do much but gain info on them. I don't hang out alot at school cause idk why, but i can't seem to make really good friends! It's a bit upsetting when everyone is out, and im in the dorm room like a buttmunch just surfin the web or watching tv.. but o well.. =(
    it gets a bit rough at times like when we need to apply for housing for next year, and i am going to have to have random roomates cause i don't know anyone to live with.. but i gues..tiss is life?

5. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Sometime excessive sleep tends to make you more lethargic. There's a point you can pass where it just seems like more sleep just makes you more and more tired... I get these once in a while.

What you have to do is basically kick your own ass....do what I do:

Tomorrow set your alarm clock 2 hours early.

Tomorrow the alarm will ring and you'll say "Shit, the alarm is ringing, I might as well get up to brush my teeth"

You get up to brush your teeth and then you'll say, "Shit, I already got up and brushed my teeth, I might as well hop in some clothes"

You put on your clothes and say, "Crap, I've already gotten up at some ungodly hour, brushed my teeth and put on some clothes, I might as well get outside and drive down to the gym for 5 minutes"

You drive your arse down to the gym and say, "Summamabeech, I get my ass out of my warm bed two hours early, brushed my teeth, put on some clothes, drove ALL the way here to the gym, and did 5 minutes of exercise I might as well do an hour"

Before you know it, you're done doing an hour's worth of exercise before you would have normally even woken up on any other day. And you'll feel good about it.

The couple days later you will have forgotten this and you'll want to sleep in again. But you won't let it, you'll do the same pattern again and you keep this up over and over again until it becomes a new habit.

Why do you do this? Because your life will not change unless you take action yourself.

Do it...do it regularly, and stop wasting your life zoning behind the TV.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  6. wimp

wimp New Member

My guess is that you don't exercise. Same shit for me.

7. limited_skillz

limited_skillz I'm a dumbass!

EDS, i think its called, and i may have it too

i feel refreshed for about an hour after i wake up, and then sleepy the rest of the day

excersize and good diet has made it slightly better, but im still always tired as fuck

8. limited_skillz

limited_skillz I'm a dumbass!

[SIZE=-1]Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS)[/SIZE]