tire plugs

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DoucheBag, Apr 29, 2008.

1. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

whats your opinion on them? had a nail in my tire that wasnt leaking.. so i left it.. since i cant afford a new tire just yet :o

anyhow.. it came out on the way home tonight (sometime while i was doing about 140, thank god nothing bad happened) and by the time i hit my exit, my tire was completely flat. So i ran out and bought a tire plug kit... gonna take the slow route to work tomorrow.. but do they hold up as well in motorcycle tires as they do regular car tires?

2. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

IF it's in the right place, AND you remove the tire and patch it from the inside, I'd trust it. Otherwise not really.

3. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

its just off center on the tire, on the thick part of the tread. im not able to remove hte tire, so its just one of those plug deals. Hopefully itll last til friday when i get paid :x:

4. laydback

laydback New Member

what he said....patch is fine as long as its not seating around any corners on the inside.... plugs are not safe

5. 7960

7960 New Member

plugs are illegal in some states (maine, for one) because they're not safe.

DoucheBag, I wouldn't ride on a tire that wasn't removed and plugged/patched from the inside. But it's your life and you're going to do it anyway so let us know if you live past friday.

6. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

well ive driven thousands of miles on several different tires that had regular tire plugs in them. but those were car tires. never once had an issue.

the problem is.. i dont have any choice. i need to get to work. ill be taking the long way and avoiding the highway tho. trust me, if i didnt have to, i wouldnt be riding on it.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

if the nail punctured a nice, neat little hole on the INSIDE then you're probably going to be fine..... or there's a chance it could delaminate at speed and you'll crash and die.

but the problem is sometimes the nail doesn't puncture a nice, neat little hole on the INSIDE even though it looks that way from the outside. Sometimes it rips a part of the inner tire rather than punctures it, and then a plug just makes it worse and there's more of a chance it'll delaminate at speed and you'll crash and die.

there are always options. you don't have a car? or a friend for a ride? or a family member for a ride or loan until friday?

8. verticalINTENSEions

verticalINTENSEions New Member

well i wouldn't have been doing 140 with knowing a nail was in my tire, thats just dumb. second i really don't trust plugs, but if your careful riding with it untl you can get a new tire i guess its all you've got.

9. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

unfortunately, no. no car, and only friend that could give me a ride totaled his car a few weeks ago in an accident. im pretty much stuck.

10. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

well, about 4 plugs later (they kept breaking :o ) im finally done. and well, it looks anything but safe :rofl: so fucking hot out, but ill be riding in full gear just in case

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I'm one of those who thinks a patch/plug is only a temporary resort you use on the road to get you to the next town where you get a new tire.

12. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

same here. last tire i had got a really slow leak. came out of work, found it low, put some air in it, and went straight to the shop for a new tire. Id avoid the plug if i could, trust me. but right now im strapped for cash and cant afford a new tire just yet