Tire Foam... oops!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Toology, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Toology

Toology New Member

So I bought my first bike yesterday after months of research. Took it home and wanted to clean it up a little bit, especially the tires, the sidewalls had a TON of this orange looking dirt or clay on them that just looked horrible. washed em off then decided to grab some tire foam and let it work its magic.

Didnt read the label that said specifically "DO NOT USE ON MOTORCYCLE TIRES." oops. Now I know why, it left a greasy mess on the tires... no bueno for safety in a turn. Anyone have some suggestions on an easy fix to get the greasy mess to go away without havin to scrub it down 20 times?

Heres a pic of my new baby, I realize probably most of you don't care as it seems u guys mostly ride sport bikes. 06' Suzuki m50, 5500 miles, $5100 OTD :o

As you can see (this was pre wash) the tires look absolutely HORRIBLE, and they still do, cant get the orange to go away!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Time will take that stuff off. I've never tried to remove that junk. I've accidentally gotten Tire Shine too high on the sidewalls of my road race slicks, and that day went... badly. Just lost a lot of time 'cause I could feel it "gliding" on the pavement.

3. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Hard to tell from the photo but that discoloration on the tires looks like ozone damage. Are there cracks in the rubber? If so, you might want to consider tire replacement.

Try simple green on the tires to get rid your ooops! Spray it on. Let it sit for a minute. Run a sponge over it. Rinse. Repeat a couple of times and you should be good to go.

4. Toology

Toology New Member

good buddy and long time rider asked the same question when i mentioned it almost looked like rust. I need to do a more careful inspection and check for cracks in the sidewalls.

What do you guys think about debadging a 3yr old bike? I already took off the stupid dealer sticker on the rear fender, toying with the idea of completely debadging it, or at least the M50 stickers. Think its gonna look weird on a 3yr old paint job if i take them off now, like darker color under the badges? Also, what kinda price would i run into if I wanted to have the bike repainted... nothing fancy, just solid single tone color over the whole bike? (tank, fenders, few small other pieces around the engine)

5. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Just do a huge burnout before you ride and youll be good to go

6. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

go to walmart pick up some stanley's bleach white and spray on and wipe off it takes all that off with no super sliping

7. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Can't help you with the tires, but nice bike, I almost bought an '05 Boulevard C50, but went older to avoid payments. But those Suzukis seem like great bikes, so don't go and wreck it because of shitty tires!

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i second everything above

9. Toology

Toology New Member

simple green worked great, its definitely not damaged, just somethin caked on, even after simple green i had to push a rag with some force around the tires to clean em up.

lovin the bike, been ridin only 3 days and already comfortable enough to ride to work (straight shot about 15 min drive). Takin it easy till I take the course and get my license, but its SO hard, having all together too much fun.